Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Southern Rock Band Of All Time Is...

116 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

CCR is a California band, not "Southern rock"...

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I think as far as popularity, Skynyrd takes the cake by a long mile.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Assuming we're talking bands that play southern rock, I'd say 'The Band' and 'JJ Cale' 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Molly Hatchet, they're about as southern rock as you can get! Maybe not "the greatest" but they are one of the best! God damn if they don't jam!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnwC3AL-7Wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtC7i4KMRgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtGL_ZvT6cA

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Assuming we're talking bands that play southern rock, I'd say 'The Band' and 'JJ Cale' 

Cale is from Oklahoma City and is probably best known for writing a couple tunes Clapton made famous, "Cocaine" and "After Midnight." Although Cale's best stuff has rarely been heard on the radio, he does have one of the finer catalogs of original Southern blues/rock.

The Band is actually considered to be Canadian, and was inducted into the Canadian Rock & Roll Hall of Fame several years before they got into the American R&R HOF, This band could bring it when they were on.

I had the great pleasure of attending their last show, The Last Waltz, in 1976. I was relatively young at the time (20) and certainly didn't appreciate the significance of the event or of all the musicians who played that gig. I still watch "The Last Waltz" to this day and try to comprehend that some 37 years ago I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to see that show.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

ABB

Just my opinion.

Posted · Report post

Drive By Truckers will be on the GOAT list for me when it is all said and done. they're my favorite SRB

Preach it! DBT is playing a two night stand at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem at the end of June. Mike Cooley is playing solo shows in Charlotte, Chapel Hill and Asheville (?).

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Preach it! DBT is playing a two night stand at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem at the end of June. Mike Cooley is playing solo shows in Charlotte, Chapel Hill and Asheville (?).

yea i had to miss patterson's two night stand back to back solo shows at the grey eagle a couple months ago. was very sad about that. but i've never seen dbt live before so i need to go soon.

Posted · Report post

David Allan Coe, The Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy and the Tennessee Hat Band

[yt]n2qXPKGmwAs[/yt]

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You mean other than skynyrd?
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

David Allan Coe, The Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy and the Tennessee Hat Band

[yt]n2qXPKGmwAs[/yt]

His early stuff was good, then he got all racist and pathetic. Can't stand him now.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Skynard and Allman brothers are so close. That guitar player put skynsrd there. Shit like "gimme back my bullets" still makes me get chills. Duane was certainly amazing as well.
1 person likes this