#31 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Well, maybe it's a white American thing. I was raised in a very multi-ethnic neighborhood and when Asians are playing, Asians root for Asians, Spanish root for anything spanish, Africans root for anything African, etc. And I'm sure after the game the Asians aren't conspiring how they'll deprive the blacks of their civil liberty or the blacks conspiring how to oppress the Spanish. Those people live side by side with each other going on with their daily hustle and bustle. Nothing everything race specific is racism.

But, I know large number of white people who root against anything non-white. Music, sport, movie, you name it. Because racism is more of a white practice many assume if they admit they root for the white guy/girl in a sporting event  because of race then they must be racist. Not true.

Except that it is racist. When you choose to root for someone because of the color of their skin, you, by extension, have chosen to NOT root for the other player based solely on the color of THEIR skin. You have deemed this other person, of a different skin color, to be inferior and unworthy of your support. It is a form of racial discrimination and by definition, racist. 

#32 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,330 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

I did not call you a racist. I told you if you did root for someone for the sole reason that they were white it would be ok. It's ok, big T.

I did not say you called me a racist.  I just said that race has never played a factor in my own fandom. 

I am just defending myself because you implied that me being a fan of Sharapova was based on race.  I don't believe that to be true, and there is a poo ton of evidence from the people I was fans of growing up and even today that makes it hard for me to believe that it is based on race.

#33 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Except that it is racist. When you choose to root for someone because of the color of their skin, you, by extension, have chosen to NOT root for the other player based solely on the color of THEIR skin. You have deemed this other person, of a different skin color, to be inferior and unworthy of your support. It is a form of racial discrimination and by definition, racist. 

If you look at it this way then every choice is racist and malicious. Saying that shows you're probably the least honest person on this forum.

#34 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

If you look at it this way then every choice is racist and malicious. Saying that shows you're probably the least honest person on this forum.

Well yes. Any choice equating worth, level, or value that's sole determining factor is the race of those in question is racist in nature.

IE saying "I'm rooting for him because he's black" is the same as saying "I'm NOT rooting for him because he's black". Both are racist statements in nature.

#35 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,330 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Well, maybe it's a white American thing. I was raised in a very multi-ethnic neighborhood and when Asians are playing, Asians root for Asians, Spanish root for anything spanish, Africans root for anything African, etc. And I'm sure after the game the Asians aren't conspiring how they'll deprive the blacks of their civil liberty or the blacks conspiring how to oppress the Spanish. Those people live side by side with each other going on with their daily hustle and bustle. Not everything race specific is racism.

But, I know large number of white people who root against anything non-white. Music, sport, movie, you name it. Because racism is more of a white practice many assume if they admit they root for the white guy/girl in a sporting event  because of race then they must be racist. Not true.

I just want to point out you are conflating nationalism with racism.  Spanish people pull for Spain because they are spanish.  That is their country or their home country or their ancestral homeland.

But Asians don't pull for all other Asians.  That is just flat out false  If you ask a Korean how they feel about the Japanese you will get an answer that is every bit as vitriolic as any other group that hates another because of their complex history and Japan's 35 year rule over Korea up until the aftermath of WWII.

But basically what you are doing is comparing to very different things.  Nationalism and racism.

#36 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

this is the worst thread

also serena williams looks like a woman and i'm just going to assume that none of you dudes with that super fresh "she look like man hurr" material have ever been with an athletic* woman

*or actual

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

this is the worst thread

also serena williams looks like a woman and i'm just going to assume that none of you dudes with that super fresh "she look like man hurr" material have ever been with an athletic* woman

*or actual

I bet you find NFL linebackers attractive also.

#38 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hmmm

Nobody is wondering about Serena's definition of rape? Just how much she could squat?

Sharapove looks too tall and clumsy to ever be a champion. Hate how women tennis players grunt/yell at each swing of the racket.

#39 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Serena-Williams_2.jpg936full-serena-williams.jpgSERENA%20WILLIAMS%20-%20SEXY%20LOW%20CUT

#40 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ohweemayne looks like I'm gay

#41 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Seems like it

#42 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,693 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

some of you are extra gross

#43 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

there are some small PPs itt who cant handle dat ass

#44 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Maybe your understanding of racism and mines are different. My understanding of racism is of something that is deeply rooted in hatred. A Japanese, per se, rooting for the chinese to beat an African team in the world cup is harmless. There is no root of hatred between a Japanese and an African, so it's certain there is no malicious intent for such derived fanaticism. For racism to exist there has to be a root/history of hatred. Without a root of hatred prejudice can easily be overcome through education. But no education can overcome ones' hatred for someone who killed their family, per se.

have you ever read a history book from the last 100 years? the japanese and chinese have killed each others family very brutally back in the early 1900's. are you saying only they are capable of forgiveness, or do you base your understanding on things you don't fully understand?

#45 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

I just want to point out you are conflating nationalism with racism.  Spanish people pull for Spain because they are spanish.  That is their country or their home country or their ancestral homeland.

But Asians don't pull for all other Asians.  That is just flat out false  If you ask a Korean how they feel about the Japanese you will get an answer that is every bit as vitriolic as any other group that hates another because of their complex history and Japan's 35 year rule over Korea up until the aftermath of WWII.

But basically what you are doing is comparing to very different things.  Nationalism and racism.

Right. Nationalism doesn't infer racism but nationalism can include racism.

When Brazil plays Spain today in the confederation cup final, approximately 99.999% of Brazilians will be rooting for Brazil and it's not because they feel that the Spanish are racially inferior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com