Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prayer

82 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

OK, well that helps a good bit with the theological problem of suffering. So one of the only involvements was sending his son (himself) Jesus or do you see that differently too?

In my belief, yes Jesus is the only know time that God intervened in the course of human events.  If God has chosen to intervene at any other point it was done in such a way that it was beyond our knowledge and or comprehension.

Posted · Report post

I didn't say you did. I said blind faith is empty and it ends the conversation.

And i post about it because the vast majority of people on this earth believe it effects our everyday lives. Hell there are people in great positions of power who claim our countries problems will be solved if we prayed more.

I actually agree with that. More time praying with their mouths shut is less time spewing all the crap that's out there these days.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Probably already been answered in some form, but hasn't been hit on using the words in my own head...

A lot of Christians obviously believe everything is already predetermined.  God's Will, etc.  

If so, why do so many pray about things then?  Even more, believe that their prayers will change an outcome?  If it's already known by God and been determined, why pray about it and not just let it be?

Posted · Report post

I will ask again as I'm not sure it was addressed but why would Jesus even pray? He was the Son of God no? if he needed to do it for strength/focus then how much more for an average Joe? Or are we better than him?

I currently believe that the reason Jesus would pray was that during the time he walked this earth he was simply human.  If I'm going to accept that Jesus was the exemplar of the perfect life, that he resisted sin and temptation so that he could die sinless, as a martyr then dont I have to accept that he was a man and vulnerable to those things?

I believe in his divinity as a soul sent here specifically but that once here he was doomed to live the life that we all do.

Posted · Report post

Why would Frodo trust Gollum?

Some things in fiction just happen and aren't meant to be explained.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I currently believe that the reason Jesus would pray was that during the time he walked this earth he was simply human.  If I'm going to accept that Jesus was the exemplar of the perfect life, that he resisted sin and temptation so that he could die sinless, as a martyr then dont I have to accept that he was a man and vulnerable to those things?

I believe in his divinity as a soul sent here specifically but that once here he was doomed to live the life that we all do.

So why do you think god set us all up to live a doomed life? Why not just make it heaven like? (presuming you believe in heaven)

I'm asking out of curiosity, it's rare to meet a Christian with such unorthodox beliefs.

Posted · Report post

So why do you think god set us all up to live a doomed life? Why not just make it heaven like? (presuming you believe in heaven)

I'm asking out of curiosity, it's rare to meet a Christian with such unorthodox beliefs.

I dont think God did set us all up to live a doomed life.  But if Christ was a divine spirit, then living 33 years with a predetermined fate to die in the manner in which he did after living the "perfect" life, then its fair to say he was doomed.

Posted · Report post

I dont think God did set us all up to live a doomed life.  But if Christ was a divine spirit, then living 33 years with a predetermined fate to die in the manner in which he did after living the "perfect" life, then its fair to say he was doomed.

Not exactly doomed. If you come for a specific purpose, accomplish the purpose all the while knowing what you are doing, would you then be "doomed"? I think not.

And Cat, not trying to be mean at all, but the old "me thinks thou doth protest too much" comes to mind. I think we all have questions about God and prayer, except for Zod apparently, haha. Cut and dried answers from the right wing do not hold water, but the other side of the coin of saying fairy tales and such, are off also.

Posted · Report post

And Cat, not trying to be mean at all, but the old "me thinks thou doth protest too much" comes to mind. I think we all have questions about God and prayer, except for Zod apparently, haha. Cut and dried answers from the right wing do not hold water, but the other side of the coin of saying fairy tales and such, are off also.

They are as valid as Santa Claus, Greek mythology or Ra....you get the point.

Posted · Report post

I will ask again as I'm not sure it was addressed but why would Jesus even pray? He was the Son of God no? if he needed to do it for strength/focus then how much more for an average Joe? Or are we better than him?

because jesus was operating under the same cosmological assumptions as the 1st-century jews that were his context would be my guess

Posted · Report post

Guess? Lol

Posted · Report post

Guess? Lol

yes. i haven't explored the question to the extent it is due, so right now that's my best educated guess