Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

Prayer

82 posts in this topic

IMO, prayer is simply a convoluted way of talking to yourself. Whether or not it has any effect depends on how honest the conversation is.

As someone who self identifies as a Christian, that is to say I believe in God and the divinity of Christ, I dont believe in prayer.  At all.  For that matter its the one concept that threatens (for lack of a better word) my belief.

To believe in prayer means that I have to accept the idea that God either is random and capricious or that he has favorites.  That he would answer the prayers of a lottery winner while someones mother dies strikes me as nearly evil. Its for that reason alone Ive chosen to believe that prayer is little more than self delusion and that if I'm right and God does exist that he no more concerns himself with the wants and desires of us than a bee keeper cares what any single bee in his swarm wants.

Do you think God intervenes at all...ever? regardless of prayer?

Do you think God intervenes at all...ever? regardless of prayer?

No.

Again the idea that he would intervene to grant favor to one person or group while countless other suffer and even die paints the picture of something far from benevolent creator.

In my belief (and forgive me if this is sloppy as its a work in progress) God set this whole thing in motion and then promptly got involved in something else.  On the rare occasion that God feels the need to do anything its far from something as mundane as curing someones illness or smiting someone else's enemy.

No.

Again the idea that he would intervene to grant favor to one person or group while countless other suffer and even die paints the picture of something far from benevolent creator.

In my belief (and forgive me if this is sloppy as its a work in progress) God set this whole thing in motion and then promptly got involved in something else.  On the rare occasion that God feels the need to do anything its far from something as mundane as curing someones illness or smiting someone else's enemy.

OK, well that helps a good bit with the theological problem of suffering. So one of the only involvements was sending his son (himself) Jesus or do you see that differently too?

Raise your hand if you have 100% of the answers related to prayer. We don't.

I will keep saying it but go look at Jesus and what did he do and how did he live his life? That's what being a christian is. Being a little Christ or trying to live like him as best you can.

All the other stuff is theological mumbo jumbo that keeps many in the weeds instead of the fairway.

If you pray for results you are doing it wrong. You pray so you can better accept the results.

Doesn't everyone want someone to make it thru surgery or overcome something? Of course.

I will ask again as I'm not sure it was addressed but why would Jesus even pray? He was the Son of God no? if he needed to do it for strength/focus then how much more for an average Joe? Or are we better than him?

Raise your hand if you have 100% of the answers related to prayer. We don't.

I will keep saying it but go look at Jesus and what did he do and how did he live his life? That's what being a christian is. Being a little Christ or trying to live like him as best you can.

All the other stuff is theological mumbo jumbo that keeps many in the weeds instead of the fairway.

If you pray for results you are doing it wrong. You pray so you can better accept the results.

Doesn't everyone want someone to make it thru surgery or overcome something? Of course.

I will ask again as I'm not sure it was addressed but why would Jesus even pray? He was the Son of God no? if he needed to do it for strength/focus then how much more for an average Joe? Or are we better than him?

Does it matter? You already said it's just theological mumbo jumbo.

The only answer you give in the end is blind faith. That doesn't make for interesting conversation because it's empty.

Its not empty. I don't label anybody who doesn't pray as empty do I? And if prayer is invalid why on earth even post about it? If you are certain praying is worthless then what conversation is there to have?

Raise your hand if you have 100% of the answers related to prayer.

** raises hand

Well you're Zod. That doesn't count....

Its not empty. I don't label anybody who doesn't pray as empty do I? And if prayer is invalid why on earth even post about it? If you are certain praying is worthless then what conversation is there to have?

I didn't say you did. I said blind faith is empty and it ends the conversation. 

And i post about it because the vast majority of people on this earth believe it effects our everyday lives. Hell there are people in great positions of power who claim our countries problems will be solved if we prayed more.