Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,555 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Per PFT: http://profootballta...defense-can-be/

Last week, linebacker Thomas Davis said that the Panthers could be the best defense in the NFL.

He’s not the only member of the unit that feels that way. Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn thinks the return of linebacker Jon Beason and the addition of rookie defensive tackles Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short can push the Panthers defense to new heights this season.

“It’s going to be scary how good we can be. And I’m excited about this year. I feel like we can be the top defense in NFL football,” Munnerlyn said during an interview on WFNZ.

I'm very optimistic about the D, I'm not as worried about the secondary as many are.

I was optimistic about our DL last season and it turned out fine.

#2 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

i can understand the excitement from the players. just look at the huddle when we drafted star.

make it happen on the field.

#3 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

I really wish he would have kept the bit about best defense in football to himself.

#4 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

A great D...if we're on the good end of the spectrum on injuries.

#5 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,366 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I'm still wary, our secondary is terrible. Enough of boasting up our defense/offense and make it fuging happen. Actions speak louder than words.

#6 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,047 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Maybe he should buy an ad in the Observer.

#7 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm telling you people, this team will win at least 9 games next year. Can't guarantee that will get us in the playoffs though. One thing I'm sure of, I'm scared of no team in our division.

#8 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

It's the off season. Let them talk.
I couldn't help but laugh, reading the comment section.

Every team talks during the off season.

I don't know what these people to expect him to say.... "yeah, we're gonna suck cause everybody says we will"

#9 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, I'm still wary, our secondary is terrible. Enough of boasting up our defense/offense and make it fuging happen. Actions speak louder than words.

it's the off season.

Why don't you and others learn to wait until football season before asking them to "make it fuging happen."

#10 PntherPryd

PntherPryd

Relic

• Moderators
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationWilmington

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Maybe he should buy an ad in the Observer.

scary parallel.

I like the positive energy.

But I'd like to see them mad about the start out of the gate last year instead of hearing yet again about "potential".  

Focus and preparation seem more important for this team than confidence and talent.  It will be interesting to watch how team leaders on both sides of the ball and on the sideline step up to get these guys ready to play.

#11 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

The Front 7 absolutely has the potential to be elite.  If the young guns in the seconday continue to improve, there is absolutely no reason to think that this D could be Top 5.

#12 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,864 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

The team as a whole has a ton of potential and the overall talent to be in the playoffs/contend.  

Reaching the ceiling has and will be about finding consistency and not blowing the load in key moments. 

#13 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

we need to sacrifice a goat to the injury gods.

#14 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Confidence is contagious and it pressures players to live up to the proclamations.  I have no problem with Munnerlyn being optimistic, I am as well.  If we didn't start off so poorly last year, we would have been a contender already.  It has been 5 years since we last were in the playoffs and this is our best shot.  I think we have the talent to be a playoff team we just need the chemistry and confidence to get on a roll.  Teams win when they believe in themselves.  Last year when we lost to Atlanta the first time it really hurt this team and it took time to recover.  Conversely that win gave Atlanta great confidence and help propel them to all those late wins.

This year I think the opposite could happen to us.  If we get on a roll early and beat Seattle and the Giants we could easily win 9 or 10 games.  If we start 1-2 at the bye we could be looking at an uphill battle.

#15 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

Whereever Rivera has gone his defenses have been top 5 by year 3.  Some have been number 1.  Why not us???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.