Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCOTUS strikes blow to voting rights

17 posts in this topic

Posted

I haven't researched this much, but this is what I gather from what I've seen:

The SC ruling says that since the VRA has not been updated by Congress since it was first implemented, it should be struck down.  What they are basically saying is Congress should review the laws and put new measures into place if need be to prevent voter discrimination.  The idea is that race relations are not as bad in the South as they were in the 1960's, so the laws don't need to be as stringent.

Of course, good luck getting this Congress to pass any measure regarding new voting rights.  Therefore the states will now have free rein to implement whatever voting laws they see fit.  Expect fireworks.

Posted

I would say that the question is "does the federal government still need to provide direct oversight of the election process?  There is no doubt that a generation ago, such oversight was a requirement.  But is it still necessary.  I guess we will find out. 

Posted

I would say that the question is "does the federal government still need to provide direct oversight of the election process?  There is no doubt that a generation ago, such oversight was a requirement.  But is it still necessary.  I guess we will find out. 

Shouldnt it be more or am I missing something.  Take the 12th district as a prime example.

Posted

There's nothing to be feared about this, except for all the VoteRid legislation that was waiting for it to be gutted so voted could be disenfranchised without the state legislatures that pass the new laws having to deal with, ugh, review for fairness. Who has time for that?

Posted

Shouldnt it be more or am I missing something.  Take the 12th district as a prime example.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but the 12th district of NC isn't exactly a shining example of the positives of federal oversight.  Republicans are greatful to the democrats and feds for it though.  :)