Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

check out Kenjon Barner's game vs. USC; 321 yards, 5 tds.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Some things I noticed in this video and other videos of his I've watched:
-Excellent vision, sees things happening that are not directly in his line of vision.
-Doesn't often lose yardage.
-Very efficient in movement, doesn't make a lot of unnecessary cuts that hurt momentum.
-Patience, willing to let the blocking develop and see what the play is giving him.
-Needs space to operate, has trouble when the defense is on top of him.

Soooo... Darren Sproles 2.0? :lol:

#17 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Interesting facts to consider:

Barner rushed for more yards last year than all of our receivers & running backs combined 1767 - 1351

While in a backfield with 2 700+ yard rushers

http://www.goducks.c...9&DB_OEM_ID=500

#18 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Not to be the buzz kill, but USC's run defense was terrible last year. I wouldn't use his game against them to make judgments on Barner as a player....

They had a better defense than Oklahoma but people still tried to use the West Virginia Oklahoma game as proof Tavon Austin was worth a first round pick.

#19 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

i want to have Ronda Rousey's children

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

meh. if he was elite he would have played in the SEC.

amidoingitright?

#20 Luuuuuuuuuuke59

Luuuuuuuuuuke59

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

I never like to see a RB slide to avoid contact. That being said, I think he runs a little too upright but that isn't necessarily a bad thing with the new leading with the head RB rule. We will probably see both he and Poole getting preseason snaps, right?

#21 FattyFatFat

FattyFatFat

Buddhist Monk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

meh. if he was elite he would have played in the SEC.

amidoingitright?

Maybe, but he was a california product out of high school. Maybe he was sticking close to home.. But he wasnt recruited by any SEC schools, so who knows. Maybe he's just a diamond in the rough or perhaps he's gotten better at his craft over time. Hope he gets some playing time and we can find out!

#22 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

USC D was unbelievably bad last year yet somehow Monte Kiffin got hired to be the Cowboys D coordinator.

#23 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

I too don't want to be buzz killington, but he really doesn't seem like anything special to me. I would be happy if I were wrong, but when you watch the elite RB's run in college, you can just tell there is something special about them. Yes Barner is fast but he doesn't seem as shifty or elusive as many other RBs in the league. When you watch AP, stewie, D-will, MJD, or even someone small like darren sproles, you see them run and they look like they can make anyone miss either with a juke or a truck move. the way in which he runs it seems as soon as contact is made he is going to go down. 

I hope I'm wrong, I just think there is a reason he dropped to round 6. 

#24 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,707 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

I too don't want to be buzz killington, but he really doesn't seem like anything special to me. I would be happy if I were wrong, but when you watch the elite RB's run in college, you can just tell there is something special about them. Yes Barner is fast but he doesn't seem as shifty or elusive as many other RBs in the league. When you watch AP, stewie, D-will, MJD, or even someone small like darren sproles, you see them run and they look like they can make anyone miss either with a juke or a truck move. the way in which he runs it seems as soon as contact is made he is going to go down.

You have to utilize him in different ways. Hes not ever gonna be ap or dwill. Not even sproles, but he is explosive and he has potential. That is why he is a great sixth round pick.

#25 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 9,157 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

this. I can't quite explain why, but I really didn't feel his highlights were THAT great. He didn't have the break away speed I expected or the shiftiness. 

Also USC's defense should be ashamed at watching that tape, my god did they look bad. 

#26 Rhell

Rhell

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Seems like he will be a good 3rd down back, can catch and do some option stuff as a change of pace.  I am actually more impressed by Oregon's O-line in the clip, Long destroyed his guy pretty much every play.

#27 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,655 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

beef up the offensive line and this guy will do fine for years... as a sixth round pick... you know, the way you're supposed to build a football team in 2013

#28 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• HUDDLER
  • 2,120 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

Chip Kelly > Amanti Coffin

#29 nctarheel0619

nctarheel0619

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

We finally have our scat back!

#30 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

It almost seems like fans were expecting a D-Will clone. That's not who Barner is as a player. He was drafted to The Panthers because of his vision, efficiency in movement, versatility and playmaking abilities in the open field. He may not appear amazingly elusive, agile and fast but Barner didn't amass that many yards just because every defense he faced was horrible. If that were the case, then why aren't fans in here questioning Marqise Lee and his year in the PAC-10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.