Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

check out Kenjon Barner's game vs. USC; 321 yards, 5 tds.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#13 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Honestly I didn't think he looked fast at all. USC sucked in that game at tackling. I hope I'm wrong but the nfl will not be that forgiving to him. He needs to attack the defense more and stick and run. His speed won't gain him anything in the nfl cause he won't be the fastest.

his speed is deceptive, he doesn't look fast but he is. he ran a 4.38 at his pro day. hes not gonna be a trucker, his greatest attribute is his vision and catching out of the backfield. he will not make it in pass protection though.

#14 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Does Oregon have a different uniform for every game?

Yes.

#15 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Some things I noticed in this video and other videos of his I've watched:

-Excellent vision, sees things happening that are not directly in his line of vision.

-Doesn't often lose yardage.

-Very efficient in movement, doesn't make a lot of unnecessary cuts that hurt momentum.

-Patience, willing to let the blocking develop and see what the play is giving him.

-Needs space to operate, has trouble when the defense is on top of him.

#16 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Some things I noticed in this video and other videos of his I've watched:
-Excellent vision, sees things happening that are not directly in his line of vision.
-Doesn't often lose yardage.
-Very efficient in movement, doesn't make a lot of unnecessary cuts that hurt momentum.
-Patience, willing to let the blocking develop and see what the play is giving him.
-Needs space to operate, has trouble when the defense is on top of him.

Soooo... Darren Sproles 2.0? :lol:

#17 redbuddha

redbuddha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Interesting facts to consider:

Barner rushed for more yards last year than all of our receivers & running backs combined 1767 - 1351

While in a backfield with 2 700+ yard rushers

http://www.goducks.c...9&DB_OEM_ID=500

#18 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Not to be the buzz kill, but USC's run defense was terrible last year. I wouldn't use his game against them to make judgments on Barner as a player....

They had a better defense than Oklahoma but people still tried to use the West Virginia Oklahoma game as proof Tavon Austin was worth a first round pick.

#19 Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious

curmudgeon

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

meh. if he was elite he would have played in the SEC.

amidoingitright?

#20 Luuuuuuuuuuke59

Luuuuuuuuuuke59

NOT NEWB

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

I never like to see a RB slide to avoid contact. That being said, I think he runs a little too upright but that isn't necessarily a bad thing with the new leading with the head RB rule. We will probably see both he and Poole getting preseason snaps, right?

#21 FattyFatFat

FattyFatFat

Buddhist Monk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

meh. if he was elite he would have played in the SEC.

amidoingitright?

Maybe, but he was a california product out of high school. Maybe he was sticking close to home.. But he wasnt recruited by any SEC schools, so who knows. Maybe he's just a diamond in the rough or perhaps he's gotten better at his craft over time. Hope he gets some playing time and we can find out!

#22 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

USC D was unbelievably bad last year yet somehow Monte Kiffin got hired to be the Cowboys D coordinator.

#23 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

Literally Can't Even

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

I too don't want to be buzz killington, but he really doesn't seem like anything special to me. I would be happy if I were wrong, but when you watch the elite RB's run in college, you can just tell there is something special about them. Yes Barner is fast but he doesn't seem as shifty or elusive as many other RBs in the league. When you watch AP, stewie, D-will, MJD, or even someone small like darren sproles, you see them run and they look like they can make anyone miss either with a juke or a truck move. the way in which he runs it seems as soon as contact is made he is going to go down. 

I hope I'm wrong, I just think there is a reason he dropped to round 6. 

#24 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

I too don't want to be buzz killington, but he really doesn't seem like anything special to me. I would be happy if I were wrong, but when you watch the elite RB's run in college, you can just tell there is something special about them. Yes Barner is fast but he doesn't seem as shifty or elusive as many other RBs in the league. When you watch AP, stewie, D-will, MJD, or even someone small like darren sproles, you see them run and they look like they can make anyone miss either with a juke or a truck move. the way in which he runs it seems as soon as contact is made he is going to go down.

I hope I'm wrong, I just think there is a reason he dropped to round 6.

You have to utilize him in different ways. Hes not ever gonna be ap or dwill. Not even sproles, but he is explosive and he has potential. That is why he is a great sixth round pick.