31 replies to this topic

#16 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,313 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

To me it makes no sense to keep him. Who knows, maybe Shula or Mcderpmott would step in and lead us to the promised land. Probably not, but it would be better than a lame duck Rivera.

#17 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

and replace him with who

Someone with a pulse.

#18 Ship

Ship

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

i think unless a coach is universally hated by the players and they want him gone, firing someone mid-season is just demoralizing to the whole team. I think it tells the players that management is done and has mailed the season in. If I were a player with only so many years to play I'd be furious to know one of mine was so blatantly being wasted. Not even having a real coach to play for.

#19 CelibatePimp

CelibatePimp

BAMF

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Who is to blame for the slow start? There is only so much the coach can do to get grown men to do their job. Case in point; Redskins scheduled their homecoming game for the panthers, that pissed off the players and they went there and whooped ass. The only thing about Rivera was probably being too conservative.

Even with that, had Cam not fumbled against ATL and not thrown into the dirt against Seattle, we are talking about 3-2 by week 5 last season instead of 1-4.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,306 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I don't believe in firing a coach midseason unless there is a serious problem in the locker room. I don't believe it "sends a message"....

Oh it does, but the message it sends is "this team is a dumpster fire".

#21 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,555 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

he won't be gone after five games. it will be after the season if we don't make the playoffs.

#22 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 5,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

If we start of slow he needs to go. Our schedule gets harder not easier as the season goes on. If you don't think it sends a message well your wrong. Let your boss get fired while your working on a project. You think your going to mail it in? Or step your ass up and work harder.

I believe Marty getting fired is what sparked this team last year. We saw a different Ron after that. If he goes 1-4 I'd fire him on the spot. Why? Hell why not? With this schedule at 1-4 the season is already over. No more of that winning when it doesn't matter poo.

#23 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I like RR. BUT This is a very realistic outcome with a new GM.

I really don't see how a new GM is going to have very much effect on the field in his first year.This is RR's team now, his guys, his coaches. The feeling things out period is over and the team will rise or fall on Rivera.

#24 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Rivera is not going anywhere.

#25 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,292 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

RR will get the season. With Gettleman's help...might even get another.

#26 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

The only elephant in the room(Besides Dat Alice) is our CB situation, I heard a puff piece about this on the Radio last week saying how our CB situation is no worse then the SB year, but totally ignoring the huge rule change that came into effect after that season, so truth is a CB situation no worse then the SB year is in fact worse then the SB year because of the rule change.

I've been ranting on this since Rivera took over but no one ever listens(points to last season)

#27 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

and replace him with who

Exactly.

#28 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

If they start 2-8 again, there's no reason to keep him.  Doesn't matter if they rally to 8-8.  Rivera sucks early in the season and only coaches well when the pressure is off.  Hopefully that changes this year but only time will tell...

#29 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,985 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

He has to stay the whole season, no point in firing him.

Since the 1990 realignment, 18 teams have combined to make 24 in-season firings -- an average of a little more than one per season. Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, the Vikings and St. Louis each have done it twice. Fourteen teams haven't fired a coach during the season at all.

Of the 22 interim coaches who have completed the season, only four (18.2%) -- Bruce Coslet (7-2 with Cincinnati in 1996), Phillips (2-1 with Atlanta in 2003), Gary Moeller (4-3 with Detroit in 2000) and Mike Singletary (5-4 with San Francisco in 2008) -- have posted winning records, and Phillips took over a team that was 5-4 under Bobby Ross. The only other coach fired with a winning record was Norv Turner (7-6 with Washington in 2000).

In the remainder of the season, those 22 interim coaches posted a combined record of 51-111 -- a .315 winning percentage that's only marginally better than the respective coaches they replaced (54-136, .284). The 2000 Lions are the lone team that ended up with a winning record (9-7); none of them made the playoffs.

However, eight interim coaches (36.4%) ended up being promoted to the full-time position -- including Mike Tice with the Vikings in 2001 and current head coaches Jeff Fisher (Houston/Tennessee, 1994), Singletary and Tom Cable (Oakland, 2008).

It took Fisher (141-115) five full seasons before he posted his first winning record in 1999. Singletary (16-19) and Cable (14-24) still are looking for their first. Coslet (21-39 with Cincinnati), Dave McGinnis (17-40 with Arizona), Dick LeBeau (12-33 with Cincinnati) and Richard Williamson (4-15 with Tampa Bay) never had one.

http://www.1500espn....g_changes112510

#30 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Moot point.  Rivera/Panthers put up and all is forgotten.

Panthers go 6-10, Rivera is gone, Kraken is gone, #1 is gone and we are LA bound.  Not going to happen. 

This, will be our shining moment.  2013.  Just have faith.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com