Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josh Norman?

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Talk to me on gameday. I'm done buying into this camp hype.

He actually made an informative contribution, which nobody has ever been able to say about you here.

3 people like this

Posted

I can't get the bears game out of my head where they ran the same play at him all the way down the field for the win.

And the falcons game that Nak gets so much blame for but people forget it was Norman that got smoked and burned by Roddy on that play.

And call it coincidence but we went 4-0 with him on the bench.

I know the feeling. But he was a 5th round rookie thrown into the mix covering Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, and a couple of other number 1s.

I don't get the Bears game, I really don't know. I have no answer for that. And it almost seemed like Norman pulled up on that Roddy play if you watch again.

But if you look at this guy and his physical tools, he looks the part of a number 1 and he has made some flashes number 1s make. For a 5th round rookie it is pretty incredible. I don't know if he will start this year, I really don't know if he is going to step up. From reports he has played very well and has seemed to have swallowed his pride. But he is the most physically gifted corner we have. That is the hype. That is why I have been preaching about this dude since day 1, because I just believe he has it. When I watch him it's like Sherman on the brink. But obviously who knows though.

2 people like this

Posted

I watched Norman at Coastal because the college team I work for is Coastal's rival. I do stats and scouting (to an extent) so I had every play of Norman's college career at the click of a fingertip and though I'm not a fan of Coastal, I was a fan of Norman's.

Norman was known for playing physical at Coastal, but unfortunately he has average to below average speed. I was one of the few that was ecstatic when we signed Drayton Florence because Florence will definitely help Norman develop.

The problem with Norman last year stemmed from the fact that he had to play at a seven yard cushion on receivers because he wasn't fast enough to jam them at the line like he did in college. On top of that; he was never really forced to back-pedal at Coastal because he would jam the receiver, let them go, and then kind of strafe them.

I fully expect Florence to teach Norman how to jam NFL receivers while not having great speed. I also expect Norman to be a much better back-pedaler than he showed last year.

In my opinion, 2014 will mark the beginning of the Josh Norman era.

Side note: For those wondering about the Bears game. We were playing a prevent defense while guarding the sidelines. It's not a bad defense to play when there is less than 45 seconds on the clock. However, there was too much time on the clock and with the Bears only needing a field goal; it wasn't a great game plan.

5 people like this

Posted

Normans been playing in nickel formations. I'm not sure if Cap is sliding over and playing the nick (like last season) while Norman plays the outside. Or if he's actually playing the nick back.

Posted

This is a guy who ill only buy into the hype once I see it during games, he was so frustrating to me last year I still resent him playing so soft on receivers. Playing off so far is just like your giving them the first down

Posted

I can't get the bears game out of my head where they ran the same play at him all the way down the field for the win.

And the falcons game that Nak gets so much blame for but people forget it was Norman that got smoked and burned by Roddy on that play.

And call it coincidence but we went 4-0 with him on the bench.

We were also without Gamble and we all know he was the Best CB on this team. So that doesn't mean much.

Posted

This teams best chance of winning is with Norman on the sidelines. I really don't get the obsession with him other than he's a loud mouth who constantly gets beat. I wouldn't let him cover my food while I go to the restroom.

This is true only if Norman hasn't gotten any better.  If he hasn't learned anything from last year and is no better, he absolutely needs to be on the bench.  I don't expect that to be the case though.  CB isn't the easiest transition to the pros.  Most CBs struggle early.  Two years ago Patrick Peterson was a terrible CB.  Last year Claiborne wasn't very good.  CB isn't a position that guys usually come in completely NFL ready.  If Norman progresses, he's our best option to be a starting CB.  Captain is a solid player, an above average nickel, but he just isn't good enough or big enough to cover most NFL WRs.

And I half blame the Bears fiasco on Rivera.  It seemed the coverage that was called demanded the sort of off-play that Norman got burnt on so much.  Rivera (or one of the more experienced players) should have fixed that after the first quick slant to Marshall. 

Posted

Great potential he has. But there was a reason he was a 5th round pick. He doesn't have the best speed and gets beat too often.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Posted

I was surprised Gamble retired although he seemed to not really to be into playing in 2009 and 2010 and he play showed.

He seemed resurgent (and the stats bore it out in 2011).

He would probably gotten at least 3-4 million on the open market even at his age & coming off an injury.

Glad we never had to see him play for anybody else. One of the more under appreciated players of the last decades. Deserved at least a couple of Pro Bowls.

Posted

This is a guy who ill only buy into the hype once I see it during games, he was so frustrating to me last year I still resent him playing so soft on receivers. Playing off so far is just like your giving them the first down

Yea, for sure.  That soft poo was annoying.  I wonder if he was told not to press and play tight or was just afraid of getting burned and played that way on his own.  I dunno, but I hope he fixes it.  His arms are so long he'd be great at jamming WR and disrupting their route.

Posted

Normans been playing in nickel formations. I'm not sure if Cap is sliding over and playing the nick (like last season) while Norman plays the outside. Or if he's actually playing the nick back.

That's interesting, Norman doesn't have great speed and the player the nickel usually covers the slot receiver.

Maybe they think that Norman can jam the little'r receivers.

Posted

Norman is a physical corner who struggled in a zone scheme. Why yall acting like you didn't see last year and how we played

They just posted a thread about our defensive schemes