#1 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

There are many threads on this, I am an admin, I don't care.

Easy, Roger Goodell continues to look and act like a boring, entitled, stick in the mud of a commissioner.

A few years back he made  a point to enforce on "planned TD celebrations" and honestly rightfully so. It was getting out of hand. Even our own Smitty was beginning to get carried away. At their height, the TD celebrations were becoming side show spectacles of the game itself and as such (and again rightfully so) a level of enforcement was placed on them. That was a smart move. A understandable move, but now......

Now we have this bullshit coming up  Here and Here. To which I say, Rodg, who the fug asked for this? 

Was spinning the ball ruining the shape of the footballs causing a massive rise in the price of footballs thus cutting into the NFL and NFL teams so obviously tight profit margin ? Was it causing turf damage? Did NFL referee's get burns on their hands from the high rpm levels of the ball when they picked them up? Why Rodg? 

Only one reason would have any merit, well merit  when talking to people who drink their warm milk, complain about obama and use their VCR to record Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy while thy catch the early bird dinner at Denny's, is that celebration is causing an unneeded delay in the game.  So basically the 1-3 mins could have been lost. Tell you what, notify the players when one of your Ten fuging Thousand TV timeout's are coming and they can do their celebrations then, how's that?

jtnc posted this recently in a thread about enforcement on the ball spilling celebration:

1098416_10153092675945483_42303181_n.jpg

On that list, only 2 things stand out to me as a legit unsportsmanlike conduct. Talking poo to someone after a big play and standing over them after a sack/hit/tackle/whatever. These are legit rules. It's something that you don't want a young person to really pick up on and being a creature of common sense I can agree with that.

However, EVERY SINGLE fuging THING LEFT ON THE LIST does one thing more than anything else, it plays into the fan experience a fan experience that is being systematically dismantled for more $$$$ and less F U N.

Basically, Goodell is saying success on the field is nothing to be celebrated by the person that was the method for that success. That enjoyment of the game is more about sitting and watching these people work with no emotion from their end.

I guess a Sack from JJ Watt, arguably the best D-Lineman in the league (last year was possibly one of the best all time) shouldn't be a "thing" to get excited about.

If Adrian Peterson throws a ball into the crowd are you going to flag him for that?   Maybe the fan should be ejected for vigorous celebration?

Where does it stop?

Will we start to enforce rules on a team basis?  

The lambeau leap is ok for Green Bay, but anyone on any other team must commit Seppuku if they try to somewhere else.  

Does Cam Newton need to getting receipts from the TD balls he gives away so Big JR can use that as charitable contributions on his tax return?  

Why is ok for Jared Allen to play craps or make cakes or whatever the fug it is he does when he bludgeons a LT with his amazing mullet and sacks a QB?

I hate to throw a racial stereotype out there, but man does this fit the "Stuffy, Rich, Entitled White Guy" stereotype to a T.  "Well good friends we can't have those 99%'ers getting all excited when our worker bee's toss one of their fellows to the ground now can we! How Ever will they keep enough control to buy more of the swill beer we sell them and order NFL Ticket for their quaint little homes..huffaaa huffaaa huffaaa" *rings bell for more triple malt scotch and a new smoking jacked* 

No Fun League has been thrown around for a long time, Rodger Goodell seems hell bent on making that a reality.

This post has been promoted to an article

#2 Paintballr

Paintballr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Agreed, might as well add in a mandatory hand shake before and after the game at mid field and a little "handy j" for Roger after each game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#3 dksmith17

dksmith17

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

We haven't heard anything about all of those being enforced

#4 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

The whole thing is just completely, bafflingly, stupid.

I like watching a DE lose his mind after a critical sack.  I liked watching Favre run around like a school-girl with a new doll after, well, after he did anything really. Celebrations are a part of what the NFL is.  They're part of the character of the game and they have no measurable impact on the game other than getting people fired up which leads to...guess what...more fun for everyone.

I don't know what the impetus for this crusade is and if someone told me I wouldn't be able to wrap my mind around it.

What I do know is you can look at stadiums where fans are allowed to act like fools vs ones where you can be warned for standing up too much to see the impact of sanitation on the fan experience.  If Goodell's goal is to erode the fan experience across his entire audience he just needs to continue down this path.  Soon laughing, joking, and high fives will be in the cross hairs because they're not refined.  Maybe afterwards we can remove running as well...

#5 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Slow Clap

#6 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Goodell has done one good thing today: inspired this rant.

#7 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

First time I've seen the actual list. Has this already been passed? If so, Goodell is such a dick. Each item I read, I replayed a vision from my memory bank of times I saw players do them and there was nothing unsportsmanlike about it... Moose's between the legs crossover then signaling first down with the ball (sometimes without as well), Smitty's ball spin, and I'm pretty sure CJ, Kraken, or Beason have done the "hulk" at some point.

Really disappointing, and I guess the former players are right, it will eventually just turn into the equivalent of watching a 12 year old flag football tournament. "Don't be unsportsmanlike little Johnny, your mom is watching!"

#8 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

NFL is a business. They believe these changes will make them more marketable/profitable.

Anybody upset over these new rules is not going to stop watching. The idea imo is that there are some( I know/ have met a few) can't stand seeing players celebrating for "doing their job". Its the older generation who does not like it and the NFL does not want to alienate them.

Bottom line is nobody is going to stop watching because of this but some might keep watching because of it.

#9 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,836 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I had a dream last night that Zod retired and Kurb took over the Huddle.

#10 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Well, since my thread got locked the other day touching on it I will again ask you guys....

Don't you think RR should just tell 89 he needs to eliminate the ball the spin completely. Smitty went on record earlier this week saying he would still do it....that seems like an automatic penalty waiting to happen as soon as 89 encounters a no fun ref (too much room for interpretation and refs calling what is "in the vicinity of" different.

Lots of games come down to one huge penalty taking away a much needed play

#11 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

I dont like the idea of policing excitement out of the game. Mr goodell meet slippery slope 

#12 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

The league just clarified on Mike and Mike: none of these these things directed towards a player, but players can still celebrate.

#13 dksmith17

dksmith17

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

The league just clarified on Mike and Mike: none of these these things directed towards a player, but players can still celebrate.

exactly

no biggie

#14 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,696 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

The culture is reverting back to where it was in the early 90s when celebrations were frowned upon and penalized as well.  I believe it's cyclical. 

#15 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• ALL-PRO
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

fLzF5_medium.gif
Model citizen for the no fun league?

This totally made me LOL at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com