Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TruthVsComfort

Religious People Are Less Intelligent Than Atheists, Concludes New Study

wonders where agnostics fit into the study...but I really don't care enough to read it

Exhibit A

I view superstition as a complete disregard of occam's razor.  It's merely a different way of looking at the world and can sometimes lead a person to new answers.  The trouble with ignoring the most simple answers is that it opens you up to a lot of wrong answers, though.

At this point I'm just rambling what pops into my head.

Yes that but often the superstition is proven wrong yet still held.

ie: If I do A then B will happen. More often then not B doesn't happen yet the belief that B will happen is continued. That's shows the inability to learn.

No matter what you say, I'm still going to wear my black panthers t-shirt on sundays during the season.  60% of the time, our 3rd down efficiency improves every time.

What you're describing sounds more like stubbornness, ie choosing to reject what you learn in favor of, dare I say, confirmation bias?

No matter what you say, I'm still going to wear my black panthers t-shirt on sundays during the season.  60% of the time, our 3rd down efficiency improves every time.

What you're describing sounds more like stubbornness, ie choosing to reject what you learn in favor of, dare I say, confirmation bias?

religious paradigms are almost always foisted on unwilling offspring through the process of socialization, and it's usually the systems wherein fundamentalist monotheistic ideologies are being passed on that this phenomenon is most readily observable. taught from a young age that X is indisputably, undeniably true, and that X's source is infallible and written by God with the power to save and damn, any young child's mind will close off to new sources of data, rejecting them in favor of a predetermined belief system, filtering them through what is already determined to be true.

the only intellectually honest way to derive a belief system is by making a calculated decision once all available data has been observed, but that of course is antithetical to most religious systems. thus, ignorance, confirmation biases, and the hereditary nature of wacky-ass things people believe.

You can't blame everything on childhood conditioning. 

Any lingering effect of this is usually wiped out by the time a child reaches adolescence, the time that children figure out that mom and dad and the local minister don't truly know everything.

Any lingering effect of this is usually wiped out by the time a child reaches adolescence, the time that children figure out that mompP and dad and the local minister don't truly know everything.

Exactly, forming your own original beliefs regardless of what has been taught and shown to you as a child is basically part of the experience of transitioning into adulthood and commonly takes place around college years .

My parents were very religious and I went to catholic schools all my life, yet I am a complete atheist.

haha

I was going to use an example from religion but i didn't want my point to get derailed, so i was then going to go with jersey color and realized the same thing would happen :)

Any lingering effect of this is usually wiped out by the time a child reaches adolescence, the time that children figure out that mom and dad and the local minister don't truly know everything.

A lot of people don't go beyond that conditioning though.  Yeah everyone realizes in adolescence that their parents don't know everything but they don't always go back and question everything all over again.  

A quick search will reveal I listed just listed an office building at $1.49 M and Vacanf land zoned BC-1 for $875k just this morning, not exactly boarded up shacks and over $100k in commission when sold. FAIL!

Yawn.........

True for a lot of poeple but I think you may be underestimating the strength of some bubbles (lol) some people grow up in. I have friends to this day that live in the same bubble they grew up in. Same church, same friends, same preachers, same side of town, same view of their parents, same influences, their kids go to the same christian school they did. 

would just like to say that "more intelligent" doesn't mean "better" and that a capacity for critical thinking (as jase mentioned) doesn't preclude one from ending up with many of the same shitty views as the "moral majority" (see: the new atheist movement)