Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Wes Horton

Best Answer KillerKat, 25 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

He has a very good chance of making the 53. Kearse hasn't done anything, so we may keep 5 DEs instead of 5 DTs.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

I'm interested in whether this guy has a chance: he got some run with the first unit last night, and had a big role on Kuechly's forced fumble because he stood up the Ravens #70 and gave Kuechly a clear path to the ball.

And yes, I a little bit interested because we share last names ;)

Since he made the roster, I'll explore a little more what intrigued me so much about this kid:

This is the play that made me stand up and take notice of this guy (and not just his awesome last name.)

Kuechly got a lot of rightfully deserved kudos for his forced fumble on Bernard Pierce in the Ravens game, but that play simply would not have happened without Wes Horton playing a pivotal role to set the play up:

This is the play immediately after the snap; notice the offensive and defensive lines are relatively even in their lines.

Ns7PlLY.png

Horton absolutely blows back #70 Ramon Harewood, who started five games for the Ravens last year. His long arms lock Harewood in place and block Pierce's vision of Kuechly about to blast through the lane.

KLL3yDb.png

Look. At. That. Alley. Vonta Leach looks completely surprised to see Luke coming unblocked, as the play seemed engineered to get Pierce to the edge, but Horton has so thoroughly beaten his man that the edge has effectively been split open.

ybcNeJo.png

The play finishes with Kuechly blowing Pierce apart and Davis scooping up the loose ball for a touchdown.

kuechlydestroyerofworlds.gif

But, again, this play does not happen without the contribution of Wes Horton, who has been involved in a number of plays where his pressure contributes to a defensive play (remember the Drayton Florence INT? Horton had subbed in while Hardy moved to the middle, and they both occupied their man allowing Kuechly to run free at Flacco. And the Norman INT Thursday? Horton blew by the LT and forced Landry Jones to throw a ball he shouldn't have thrown.)

Now, I'm not projecting anything more than a decent contributor, but he had 150 snaps, zero penalties, graded very well by PFF in both pass rush and rush defense (+2.0, +0.2), and contributed 7 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, 2 sacks, 5 stops, 4 tackles, and only 1 missed tackle.

What I like most is that he seems to have a good knack of using his long arms to slap away any attempts for lineman to lock onto him. It reminds me a little bit of Hardy in that regard. And scouting reports indicate he is a hard worker as well, teams just weren't sure about his ability to anchor at the point of attack in the run game and overall quickness. http://www.nfl.com/d...rton?id=2539306

Definitely a guy to watch in the future.

#2 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,325 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

All I gotta say is... when the hell did our d-line get so deep?

Roh, Horton, Nzegwu, Addison and Alexander? Wow.

#3 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,743 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

trade for a guard!

lol

#4 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ya I noticed Horton playing with the ones, looked pretty decent too. PS worthy for sure

#5 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

had my eye on 61 last nite.............dude was making some noise.

#6 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 5,070 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

Turns out I wasn't imagining things, Horton got 48 reps Thursday, the most by far of all the DEs, and only 5 fewer than Kuechly.

#7 Zuck Fod

Zuck Fod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

Maybe they showcasing some DL's for trade bait? But seriously what the hell do I know though. The backup DE's have looked good.

#8 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,312 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:44 AM   Best Answer

He has a very good chance of making the 53. Kearse hasn't done anything, so we may keep 5 DEs instead of 5 DTs.

#9 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 5,070 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

Literally. Kearse didn't have a snap against Baltimore. Did I miss him on an injury report?

#10 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

4 DTs should be enough, as long as they cut Fua. With the versatility of our DEs, they can play DT on some passing 3rd downs. We would be much better off taking more DEs. It makes me sick to my stomach we have to waive that much talent.

#11 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

we are fortunate to have a couple of DE's who can move inside.

that said, Person said today that Fua will make the team because he is "smart". 

#12 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

The same can't be said for Joe Person.

#13 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

That settles it then...Fua will be cut.

#14 Rhell

Rhell

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

I know we are so deep with Keiser and Applewood, right?  Oh wait, those were the scrubs we had last year that we were so happy to have as back-ups.

#15 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 5,070 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

Just wanted to update this, #61 had another sack and was integral to the Norman INT by beating his man and flushing Landry Jones out of the pocket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.