Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Wes Horton

Best Answer KillerKat, 25 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

He has a very good chance of making the 53. Kearse hasn't done anything, so we may keep 5 DEs instead of 5 DTs.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

We need to get #cutfua trending. I do like Horton, hope he sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#32 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Well, what do you know, he made it.

#33 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,549 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

horton_final_horton_hears_a_who_movie_im

#34 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

He has a very good chance of making the 53. Kearse hasn't done anything, so we may keep 5 DEs instead of 5 DTs.

Nailed it

#35 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Updated the OP with a breakdown of this kid: http://www.carolinah...rton/?p=2336132

#36 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

dude has been ballin earned his spot

#37 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Turns out I wasn't imagining things, Horton got 48 reps Thursday, the most by far of all the DEs, and only 5 fewer than Kuechly.

That's a huge statement.

#38 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Front 7 is more like a Front 14, lots of good depth in there now. Holy Beast Mode Batmang.

#39 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,277 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'm interested in whether this guy has a chance: he got some run with the first unit last night, and had a big role on Kuechly's forced fumble because he stood up the Ravens #70 and gave Kuechly a clear path to the ball.

And yes, I a little bit interested because we share last names ;)

Since he made the roster, I'll explore a little more what intrigued me so much about this kid:

This is the play that made me stand up and take notice of this guy (and not just his awesome last name.)

Kuechly got a lot of rightfully deserved kudos for his forced fumble on Bernard Pierce in the Ravens game, but that play simply would not have happened without Wes Horton playing a pivotal role to set the play up:

This is the play immediately after the snap; notice the offensive and defensive lines are relatively even in their lines.

Ns7PlLY.png

Horton absolutely blows back #70 Ramon Harewood, who started five games for the Ravens last year. His long arms lock Harewood in place and block Pierce's vision of Kuechly about to blast through the lane.

KLL3yDb.png

Look. At. That. Alley. Vonta Leach looks completely surprised to see Luke coming unblocked, as the play seemed engineered to get Pierce to the edge, but Horton has so thoroughly beaten his man that the edge has effectively been split open.

ybcNeJo.png

The play finishes with Kuechly blowing Pierce apart and Davis scooping up the loose ball for a touchdown.

kuechlydestroyerofworlds.gif

But, again, this play does not happen without the contribution of Wes Horton, who has been involved in a number of plays where his pressure contributes to a defensive play (remember the Drayton Florence INT? Horton had subbed in while Hardy moved to the middle, and they both occupied their man allowing Kuechly to run free at Flacco. And the Norman INT Thursday? Horton blew by the LT and forced Landry Jones to throw a ball he shouldn't have thrown.)

Now, I'm not projecting anything more than a decent contributor, but he had 150 snaps, zero penalties, graded very well by PFF in both pass rush and rush defense (+2.0, +0.2), and contributed 7 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, 2 sacks, 5 stops, 4 tackles, and only 1 missed tackle.

What I like most is that he seems to have a good knack of using his long arms to slap away any attempts for lineman to lock onto him. It reminds me a little bit of Hardy in that regard. And scouting reports indicate he is a hard worker as well, teams just weren't sure about his ability to anchor at the point of attack in the run game and overall quickness. http://www.nfl.com/d...rton?id=2539306

Definitely a guy to watch in the future.

Awesome post FP.  I was wondering how Luke had such an open lane (which he shot thru like a rocket).  Glad to see an undrafted rookie make it.

#40 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yeah our 2nd team D Line was in at that time. I see them making wholesale substitutions on the D Line, so we're gonna have to get use to seeing that.

#41 brainless wuss

brainless wuss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

And he's the son of Gladiator Gemini!

#42 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yeah our 2nd team D Line was in at that time. I see them making wholesale substitutions on the D Line, so we're gonna have to get use to seeing that.

Nice to see that putting in our 2nd d-line ended in something other than disaster for a change.

#43 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

And he's the son of Gladiator Gemini!

wait what?!?!?!?!?

#44 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

wait what?!?!?!?!?

PERSONAL: He's a human performance major at USC. His father, Myke, lettered 2 years (1973-74) as an offensive tackle at UCLA, was drafted by the New England Patriots in 1975, played professionally in the USFL (with Washington and Memphis) and the CFL (with Calgary), then was one of the original members of the syndicated TV show "American Gladiators" (he was Gemini from 1989 to 1992)

http://www.usctrojan...rton_wes00.html

#45 dkmilitary

dkmilitary

• ALL-PRO
  • 136 posts
  • LocationSandhills

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

http://www.usctrojan...ator-genes.html   Love the last picture TMNT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com