Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Handling of a Franchise Quarterback

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
212 replies to this topic

#25 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Last season we were 9th in TDs per drive despite being 28th in average starting field position.

We were 9th in least amount of turnovers per drive.

We were 9th in red zone TD percentage

We were 6th in 3rd down conversion percentage

We were 10th in avoiding three and outs.

Point being, our offense hasn't been the issue, and we have plenty of players around Cam Newton to be successful.

Our O would've been waaay better if we weren't having to drive 80+ yards to score. This makes the Ginn signing huge!

Facts...

#26 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

You realize all those are all heavily Newton driven stats...

As a franchise, we have jumped on his back.  98% of QBs bust doing what we are doing.  Somehow Cam has done well yet we just add more weight.

Our offense has been inconsistant and that has been an issue....when Cam ain't on fire, there is no help to help us get going.

Offensive stats being driven by the QB position is true for about 95% of the football world.  Consider that the teams that were 1,2, and 3 in TDs per drive were QBed by Brady, Brees, and Peyton Manning in that order.

We have good offensive skill players.  We do need O-line help.  That will go a long ways to helping D-Will and Co.

We can always get better, but our defense needed more help than our offense, which is why we have focused on drafting for defense these last couple of drafts.

#27 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

SUPPORTER

I think our weapons are adequate for a franchise qb. The oline is clearly not. Of course I'd like an upgrade at the #2 wr spot, but we have an excellent pass catching te, a do it all #1(clearly need an heir), and good competition for the #3 with several options that look like they have potential. In the backfield we have a plethora of running and pass catching options (when healthy). More could have been done and the line is clearly not going to cut it the way it's played so far, but Cam has enough weapons to be effective as long as the oline can hold up.

#28 CRA

CRA

Moderators

I've missed ranting so...

Basically the Carolina Panthers drafted one of the most "Sky's the Limit" QB prospects in recent history, gave him the ball as a rookie and said "Uhhh go run around and throw the ball and stuff, but don't expect any help from us" and continued to do it. 

I can only pray Gett's piles up the offensive weapons next offseason, b/c if he doesn't we will be in the same situation we are looking to be headed into now.

with the present state of our OL and secondary....and future cap situation.  Not sure if we can even risk going all in on weapons.

Our OL next year may be Kalil.  Just Kalil.  Then hope and well wishes about DII Gs and finding 2 new Ts.

#29 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Last season we were 9th in TDs per drive despite being 28th in average starting field position.

Point being, our offense hasn't been the issue, and we have plenty of players around Cam Newton to be successful.

Yup Yup. 

The offense, just didn't get enough opportunities, cause the defense was on the field so long ( especially the first half of the season), along with the first half offensive woes). 

#30 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Double

#31 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

with the present state of our OL and secondary....and future cap situation.  Not sure if we can even risk going all in on weapons.

Our OL next year may be Kalil.  Just Kalil.  Then hope and well wishes about DII Gs and finding 2 new Ts.

I'm more of an eternal optimist these days, but I don't think the cap will be quite the nightmare it was this season.

I'd have next to 0 issue blowing up the Offensive Line and having Kalil as the center piece and I would even go so far as to say I expect good things from Amini this year by seasons end.

While it could be Kalil and *People* it could also be something like   LT: Pick, G:Amini/Wharton C:Kalil, G:Amini/Wharton/Kug  T: Pick/Gross

That , on paper, wouldn't be so bad.

#32 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

All good points. However, the MAJOR unknown in 2013 is Shula. I have zero confidence in that guy right now and I fear he is going to go Jeff Davidson on us.

#33 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

HUDDLER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

For me, we haven't handled it well. But at the same time it's ok that we have been putting it off.

Cam is so talented that he overshadows the deficiencies on offense when he plays well. Hence the last half of the season. Our defense needed to be shored up and so far it has been minus proven talent in the secondary. We have the pieces to win now (even with this o-line) because Cam is such a freak and can take games over by himself. I want him to have pieces though but i feel like this is a process to making us a contender year in and year out. Imagine having a top 5 defense in the future. and having talented pieces around Cam. We have had to take the reverse approach to that of Seattle and San Fran. Who had these things but then drafted a qb. We drafted a franchise qb and are building the team around him, both offensively and defensively.

These things take time. O-line is the only concern for me this upcoming season. Cam will make plays and keep us in ballgames because he is a freak.

#34 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Offensive stats being driven by the QB position is true for about 95% of the football world.  Consider that the teams that were 1,2, and 3 in TDs per drive were QBed by Brady, Brees, and Peyton Manning in that order.

We have good offensive skill players.  We do need O-line help.  That will go a long ways to helping D-Will and Co.

We can always get better, but our defense needed more help than our offense, which is why we have focused on drafting for defense these last couple of drafts.

We have decent skill position players....we overrate them.  We also let who they were influence what they are now. 

We have a 34 yr old WR and Greg Olsen and a RB.  All that behind a weak OL.

All those RBs? They cancel each other out largely.  They don't hold the value we give them simply b/c only one plays.  We put one good RB on the field. 

Take Luke off the field we don't drop much.  Take Cam off the field and our record setting franchise offense suddenly will compete for franchise worst.  Talent around Cam isn't strong.

#35 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I've missed ranting so...

Basically the Carolina Panthers drafted one of the most "Sky's the Limit" QB prospects in recent history, gave him the ball as a rookie and said "Uhhh go run around and throw the ball and stuff, but don't expect any help from us" and continued to do it.

I can only pray Gett's piles up the offensive weapons next offseason, b/c if he doesn't we will be in the same situation we are looking to be headed into now.

I think people forget just how epically bad our defense was just two seasons ago.

Even last year the defense was not as good as the total yardage and defensive ppg would suggest.

If we would have loaded up on offensive players people would be saying

"They haven't been helping Cam enough on defense"

#36 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Out of 24 players drafted in those 3 years, 16 are no longer with the team.  Of the 8 that remain, Cam and Hardy are the only playmakers.  4 of the 8 are starters (Captain shouldn't be but WTFever) and the other 4 are JAGs.

This part is so depressing :(