Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

shula responds to criticism

Best Answer nosuchthingasapanther, 10 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

from the same article, greg olsen...

“When you look back, it’s easy to second-guess everything. I thought our plan was good,” Olsen said. “I thought we had them on their heels at different times. We made critical errors. And that’s not the plays, that’s the guys running them. Between the drops on third down and penalties or turnovers, it’s hard to beat a good team when you do that.”

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Joe Person @josephperson 5h

#Panthers OC Mike Shula responds to criticism he was too conservative vs. SEA, says he'll do what it takes to win. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/09/4300788/ron-rivera-carolina-panthers-passing.html 

“This system is a system that does that a lot. But just because you have a system that does that doesn’t mean you have to force the ball down the field,” Shula said Monday. “I really thought Cam did a nice job on a lot of decisions he made. There’s some things we looked at that, yeah, we had some opportunities. We think we’ll get better in that regard. But you don’t want to just all of a sudden say, ‘Hey, we’ve got to throw the ball down the field.’”

Shula said the Seahawks played a lot of deep zone coverages, particularly on third downs, forcing Newton to settle for underneath receivers.

#2 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:42 PM   Best Answer

A WHOLE PIE!

from the same article, greg olsen...

“When you look back, it’s easy to second-guess everything. I thought our plan was good,” Olsen said. “I thought we had them on their heels at different times. We made critical errors. And that’s not the plays, that’s the guys running them. Between the drops on third down and penalties or turnovers, it’s hard to beat a good team when you do that.”

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,962 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

I find some fault in the coaching, mainly in the fact that the staff still doesn't seem to trust the players much... but overall, I thought the execution was the bigger problem, not the playcalling.

#4 Phil

Phil

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,793 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

So he is saying their defense played better than our offense.  That's encouraging.  I'm tired of this "we think we'll get better." bs.  It's been three damned years!

#5 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I find some fault in the coaching, mainly in the fact that the staff still doesn't seem to trust the players much...

after sunday's performance, why should they?

#6 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,699 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

A WHOLE PIE!

Well Mike, show me Sunday. I'm easy to please as a fan. Score some fuging points.

#7 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

I don't anyone has said "Hey we just have to throw the ball down field."

The offense looked decent in the first half. Once Seattle made half time adjustments, we were shut down. This has been happening to Shula his entire career.

Hopefully we figure something out.

#8 MuMouey

MuMouey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

"Shula said the Seahawks played a lot of deep zone coverages, particularly on third downs, forcing Newton to settle for underneath receivers."

"We made critical errors. And that’s not the plays, that’s the guys running them"

oh boy. the couch-GMs of the Carolina Huddle aren't going to be happy to hear this :)

#9 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well Mike, show me Sunday. I'm easy to please as a fan. Score some fucking points.

Bingo.

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

"Shula said the Seahawks played a lot of deep zone coverages, particularly on third downs, forcing Newton to settle for underneath receivers."

"We made critical errors. And that’s not the plays, that’s the guys running them"

oh boy. the couch-GMs of the Carolina Huddle aren't going to be happy to hear this :)

You mean the players didn't throw the coaches under the bus?

Shocking.

#11 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,699 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

So he is saying their defense played better than our offense. That's encouraging. I'm tired of this "we think we'll get better." bs. It's been three damned years!

Exactly dude. For ONCE I'd like to hear an opposing team make the excuses after we beat that ass.

#12 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,132 posts

If the seahawks are playing deep zones then Olsen should have been eating them up over the middle medium. 125 yards passing is sad no matter what defense is in there.

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,962 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

after sunday's performance, why should they?

You may have a point, but at some point they HAVE to.  I'm mainly referring to the 4th and inches call...

Except for Deangelo's fumble the running game was pretty solid.  The passing game, both Cam's accuracy and the drops, not so much.

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

If the seahawks are playing deep zones then Olsen should have been eating them up over the middle medium. 125 yards passing is sad no matter what defense is in there.

too much logic.

Here, I will write 1000 words on why 7 points is actually awesome.

#15 MuMouey

MuMouey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

You mean the players didn't throw the coaches under the bus?

Shocking.

You're right. The retards on the internet message boards know more about Seattle's secondary coverage schemes then the coaches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com