89 replies to this topic

#61 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,902 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

If we benched a DB every time they were beaten for a TD we'd run out of DB's pretty fast.

#62 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

what the fua..why?

#63 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,895 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

Munnerlyn would not see the field for most NFL teams. He is by far the weakest link on our team

His issue is he is a nickel and we ask him to be more....

As a nickel....he is probably top half of the league

#64 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Norman gives his man a 10 yard cushion every time I just don't understand it. When the ball is in the air and Norman is around it he will make a play. The problem is that he's often not around it when he should be.

#65 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Rodeo,

Yes, actually, it's why he got benched last year. I'll see if I can find it.

you find those quotes / links?!? 

#66 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Post Draught Hangover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

And yet, he didn't allow a touchdown for 3.5 quarters.

I haven't allowed a TD in 30 years, should I be the starting Corner Back?

#67 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,038 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Read this on derp.  It won't let me link to the preview.

The Panthers have reportedly decided to bring Josh Norman in to start alongside Josh Thomas (per Joe Person) this week, while it is still undecided whether Quintin Mikell will start again or if Mike Mitchell will start after being out with an injury last week.

Haven't seen any confirmations though. And it is Person reporting.

"derp", cute. Now I know why.

#68 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,275 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I haven't allowed a TD in 30 years, should I be the starting Corner Back?

You're not an UDFA professional football player, now are you? Talk crap all you want but if you were the starting corner for The Panthers you'd be yanked and benched so fast you would be used as a CERN experiment for Anti-Matter.

#69 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Rodeo,

you find those quotes / links?!? 

No, I should have known better than to think Rivera would openly give his reason, he never does. But I found dozens of articles explaining why he was benched.

Marshall was given an 8-yard cushion by Josh Norman and ran his route at seven yards. He only needed six yards for the first down. Easy math. Munnerlyn commented that Norman couldn't play the double slants, and Cutler saw that quickly.

Norman still gives Marshall an 8-yard cushion and executes his slant at the 5-yard mark. Norman can't get to the play quick enough to break it up.

He gave receivers too much cushion, and often found himself giving up a bit too much seperation. Norman would eventually be benched, but returned for some limited action.

As for Norman, I think his propensity to give up too big of a cushion at the line of scrimmage just got exasperating.

#70 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,386 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

In summation, like I said before, I want to give Norman another shot to start. But not in a game against an opponent that primarily throws short passes, considering Norman flat out cost us a win last year because he can't cover the short pass.

#71 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Josh Thomas was particularly awesome on the punt where he let the ball hit him.

#72 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

In watching Norman its easy to see that it's his huge cushion that is his problem, but why aren't the coaches yelling at him in a play by play basis to get up closer to the LOS. If you are the DB coach or DC and you see him 8 yards back, tell him if he does it again he is benched. Eventually you'd think he'd learn. Maybe not though, because he was benched for it last year and I saw him doing it on every snap he was in on last Sunday.

#73 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thomas was thrown at four times and allowed three receptions for 60 yards and a touchdown. He made one costly error on the long touchdown. Otherwise he played well. As costly as it was he shouldn't be benched for that. Norman should be replacing Captian

#74 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

thomas played pretty well overall i thought... he fell off towards the end, but i largely blame that on the offense not scoring points; otherwise he'd be credited with being part of the secondary that only allowed the vaunted seahawks attacked to score only one touchdown.

Instead, he was beat like a drum the play before the TD and the WR dropped it. Having played corner before (obviously not in the NFL), the very next play he should have backed up for fear of being beat again. He did not though... Which is why the TD he gave up worries me so much more. He got beat on back to back plays bro. Our differences aside, doesn't this concern you?

I do see your point about him being credited if we win; there's always that double edged sword, but that sequence concerns me. Hopefully he has learned from his mistake. He will be tested early and often in Buffalo. It'll be interesting to see if they make an adjustment (ie: inserting Norman) if he is beat again.

#75 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,711 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

Instead, he was beat like a drum the play before the TD and the WR dropped it. Having played corner before (obviously not in the NFL), the very next play he should have backed up for fear of being beat again. He did not though... Which is why the TD he gave up worries me so much more. He got beat on back to back plays bro. Our differences aside, doesn't this concern you?

I do see your point about him being credited if we win; there's always that double edged sword, but that sequence concerns me. Hopefully he has learned from his mistake. He will be tested early and often in Buffalo. It'll be interesting to see if they make an adjustment (ie: inserting Norman) if he is beat again.

he is being pointed to as the weakest link on the defense, and yet only allowed three catches. that's a pretty decent weak link, especially given how poorly the offense played, setting him up to fail.

i'm not saying he's the second coming but i don't think he's as horrible as advertised

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.