Photo
- - - - -

Is Smith's lost step that obvious (if even true at all)?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

I was talking with my boss this afternoon (who is also a Panthers fan), and he mentioned to me how Steve Smith has definitely lost a step. He said that back in the day, Smith would have burned Leodis Mckelvin all day long. He also pointed to the pass where McKelvin just popped the ball out of Smitty's hands. He said that the Steve Smith of old would have not only completed the catch, but would have taken McKelvin's arm with him. 

I hadn't really thought about it, but perhaps my boss is right. I am not necessarily the most objective about this situation---donning my Smitty-colored glasses---so I welcome other thoughts.

#2 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

he's definitely not as explosive, but he is still a hell of a player.

#3 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,416 posts

This has been obvious for the past two seasons, Smith used to fly by people. Still a good receiver though.

#4 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,482 posts

If you have to ask if Smitty has lost a step then you clearly didn't watch the Panthers back in the day.

#5 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,056 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

he's definitely best suited for the slot for the rest of his career. he doesn't have the over-the-top speed that allowed him to overcome his size on the outside.

#6 camtheone

camtheone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

I think maybe we has lost a bit of a step...he's still up with the elite receivers..Him losing a small step is making him still a top 10 WR...The pass knocked out while he was in the air not a big deal...was a hard catch for anyone....Smitty is still smitty for the most part....maybe just minus a small amount of quickness...but damn he's still good...

#7 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'd say there are bigger fish to fry given his level of production in comparison to the rest of our receiving corp

#8 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,539 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

We wasted his talent.

#9 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

i wish he would lose the screaming, howling, and chest thumping after a short gain.

#10 Eazy-E

Eazy-E

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Like PhillyB said he should be in the slot. He doesn't have the top end he once had but he is still quick as hell and a top receiver in this league. Thank Hurney for being the worst evaluator of WRs in the history of football.

#11 CelibatePimpv2.0

CelibatePimpv2.0

• NEWB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

With that comment he made about signing gay players, heck his cheese has slid off his cracker as well.

#12 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

I wasn't trying to be a dick just...it's obvious...Smitty has lost perhaps more than just 1 step.

Should be in the slot like others have pointed out. He runs some of the best routes you'll see and still has good quickness.

#13 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

If you watch a 2005 highlight reel....then yes, he has lost some steps.

Still good. Not the video game player he was

#14 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

He isn't ridiculously fast as he used to be. That play where the ball popped out was just a good play. Insert a dumber CB, and Smith makes the catch.

I think he's near 85-90% of what he was. In his prime he was the most the dominant WR in the NFL, so he's still a damn good WR. He's good enough to still get doubled against most teams. The problem is that LaFell sucks, Ginn doesn't get enough targets, and it seems that Hixon's contract says that he doesn't actually have to play.

#15 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Like PhillyB said he should be in the slot. He doesn't have the top end he once had but he is still quick as hell and a top receiver in this league. Thank Hurney for being the worst evaluator of WRs in the history of football.

he's definitely best suited for the slot for the rest of his career. he doesn't have the over-the-top speed that allowed him to overcome his size on the outside.

Just a question (don't bite my head off):

Do you think that we could get by with putting Ginn and LaFell on the outside, and Smitty in the slot? Would that make our offense more or less effective?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com