Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ron Rivera: Norv Turner Clone?

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

During his years as a DC in San Diego, the Chargers had one of the best defenses in the NFL, along with one of the best offenses. Super Bowl? Playoff domination? Nope. Underachievement. Norv Turner was often criticized by the same terminology used to describe Rivera. Here is what they did together--see a pattern?

2008 Chargers were 4-8 and won the last 4 to finish 8-8 and make the playoffs.
2009 Chargers were 2-3 and won the last 11 games to finish 13-3. Upset in playoffs
2010 Chargers were 2-5 and then went 7-2 to finish the year at 9-7. Incredible underachievement

Now lets take a look at what you already know, the Panther record over the past 2+ seasons, under RR's guidance:

2011 Panthers start season 2-8, win 4 of 6 to finish the season at 6-10.
2012 Panthers start season 2-8, win 5 of 6 to finish the season 7-9.
2013 Panthers start season 0-2......

Did we get the Hispanic version of Norv Turner? Same dermatologist, same philosophy.

Too bad Norv Turner has never been DC. Kind of destroys the whole comparison.

Posted · Report post

Too bad Norv Turner has never been DC. Kind of destroys the whole comparison.

Nobody was learning DC from Norv and it makes no difference what RR was at the time--Rivera was learning HC from Norv. 

Please tell me that point did not escape you.

Posted · Report post

I see your point...it was just worded poorly in the OP IMHO. My apologies.

Posted · Report post

No Guts No Glory...Rivera

Usually the student does better but not in this case
Plus they different...Ron is more defensive minded

Posted · Report post

Was Turner typically considered very conservative?  I didn't think that was his MO.  Underachieving yes, but conservative?

Posted · Report post

rivera isn't fit to whiff norv's jock strap.

Posted · Report post

I think Rivera is more of a Mike Singletary.....

Now hopefully we can find our Jim Harbaugh

We could have had our Jim Harbaugh. It was a guy named Jim Harbaugh. He happened to be the guy that most people thought was the front runner for the Panthers job in 2011, but we never interviewed him. Turns out he wasn't willing to work for below league average salary. Oh well, I'm sure we'll do just as well with the guy we hire on the cheap.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Was Turner typically considered very conservative? I didn't think that was his MO. Underachieving yes, but conservative?

Norv inherited a very stacked and talent-filled squad. Underachiever is not the word I would use to describe him.

Posted · Report post

We could have had our Jim Harbaugh. It was a guy named Jim Harbaugh. He happened to be the guy that most people thought was the front runner for the Panthers job in 2011, but we never interviewed him. Turns out he wasn't willing to work for below league average salary. Oh well, I'm sure we'll do just as well with the guy we hire on the cheap.

see we're uh looking for a coach eager to uh prove himself that, you know, doesn't come in thinking he owns the place and deserves money like he's some kind of great coach.

also, re: Harbaugh, "Who?" - Jerry Richardson.

Posted · Report post

In case y'all have forgotten, JR supposedly wasn't behind the Rivera hiring. That was all Hurney.

Posted · Report post

Cmon man Norv coached multiple winning teams and almost made a Super Bowl. Once again, MUCH better coach. Ron Rivera is in a class all of his own.  There is no comp

Posted · Report post

Norv inherited a very stacked and talent-filled squad. Underachiever is not the word I would use to describe him.

I did a similar thread in the past. The OP is referring to both Rivera and Norv being laid back and well liked by the players, but ineffective leaders/motivators.