40 replies to this topic

#16 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

on a side note. people talk about leadership when it comes to a qb. this could be an important trait, but i dont know how important that is. does leadership really make a team better from the qbs position?

Yes but only if the qb and coach are preaching from the same book. I think that qb leadership is important but other leaders of the team must echo what the qb is preaching.

#17 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I pretty much agree with what Ship said.  A franchise QB is a QB you build around, a long term QB.  It's the opposite of a stop gap, when you know you can stop looking for a long term QB.

#18 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Well think about it. When working in a group the first thing that happens is a hierarchy is formed. Those with leadership skills assume those rolls and begin to dole out the tasks at hand. Do you not find it easier to complete your assigned task if that is the only thing to worry about? The leader has taken control of the situation allowing you to focus solely on your responsibility.

i think that is true from a real world standpoint. but i keep thinking about last years Ravens. if you ask anyone who the leader of that team was it was Ray Lewis. Flacco was like the 3rd person down on that list for me.  ray lewis, john harbaugh, then flacco. 

#19 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Not logan thomas go hokies!

#20 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Post Draught Hangover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

i think that is true from a real world standpoint. but i keep thinking about last years Ravens. if you ask anyone who the leader of that team was it was Ray Lewis. Flacco was like the 3rd person down on that list for me. ray lewis, john harbaugh, then flacco.

That's true but you are assuming that the Panthers have a Ray Lewis type leader. Of that I'm not so sure. There is a lack of unifying leaders on this team.

#21 Shotgun

Shotgun

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

cam-newton-belk-made-cam-newton-collecti

#22 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

http://m.bleacherrep...b-in-todays-nfl

This is a surprisingly good article from Bleacher Report which discusses the topic on hand and goes into a lot of detail.

Basically breaks the FQB definition into several categories: skillset, leadership, marketability, wins, decision making etc.

I recommend checking it out for those interested. Cam is brought up throughout the article also.

#23 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,462 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

I think if you are looking for a potential franchise quarterback then guys like Kaepernick, Wilson, Tannehill, and Newton among others would qualify.  Then then are guys like  Cutler, Alex Smith, Dalton and Ryan who can help you win but can't take over a game most of the time They are franchise quarterbacks but aren't irreplaceable. Then you have guys like Brees, P. Manning and Brady who make others better and can carry a team on his back who are their team's franchise.  

Other guys are simply the quarterback of the franchise.. 

#24 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,203 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

What kind of question is this? It's all about "WINS". All about wins.and leadership.

#25 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

A QB the consistently puts you in position to win no matter what the other parts of your team is doing.

#26 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

What kind of question is this? It's all about "WINS". All about wins.and leadership.

Then Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer should rank high on a lot of peoples QB's list.

#27 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,203 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Then Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer should rank high on a lot of peoples QB's list.

That comparison is getting old brah. It's old.

#28 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

A QB that is a weapon, not a liability. One who wins you games, not loses you games, gives you a chance to win if the ball is in his hands at the end of the game. The phrase is over used, but see Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mannings, Like another poster said, Dalton, Wilson, Tannehill maybe, one day will become that. RIGHT NOW Cam, Kap, RGIII haven't shown that they will be elite with their passing.

#29 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

That comparison is getting old brah. It's old.

I'm sorry you described a situation and i put 2 QB with a lot of Wins and good winning % that match your description.

Just because you don't think their Franchise QBs isn't may fault. You made the criteria.

#30 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

A QB that is a weapon, not a liability. One who wins you games, not loses you games, gives you a chance to win if the ball is in his hands at the end of the game. The phrase is over used, but see Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mannings, Like another poster said, Dalton, Wilson, Tannehill maybe, one day will become that. RIGHT NOW Cam, Kap, RGIII haven't shown that they will be elite with their passing.

Cam made the worst offense in NFL history to top 5 and top 15 in scoring his 1st 2 season.

Which 1 of these guys had that kind of effect???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.