Photo
- - - - -

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Washington change the their name? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Washington change the their name?

1. Yes (19 votes [39.58%])

Percentage of vote: 39.58%

2. No (29 votes [60.42%])

Percentage of vote: 60.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

I know this topic has been talked about a many a time.  Yet I sense a growing feel about this thing, and the name will be changed sooner than later.  So I'll dust this topic off and bring it up again.  Should Washington change their name, why are why not?

As for me, in the past I didn't really have much opinion on this subject.  I was probably on them changing the name, but now, I'm officially for them changing the name.  Originally the term was probably used as an identifier by the colonial peoples, and not specifically a slur or negative terms.  Yet it became more of a negative term as time went on.  Of course, back then, any name the colonial peoples used to describe others was destined to become seen in an negative light, considering the views back then.  This is not to say that every white person back then were nothing but bigots.  This is a very human condition.  Dominant cultures all over the world saw other people and cultures as less than.  All that aside, the term "redskin" has become a negative term, and not just recently.

There was a time when the terms "colored" and "*****" were accepted among everybody.  Yet today they are not.  If someone named their sports team the Washington Coloreds in honor of a coach who was part black, we would have still gotten rid of that name already because of it's negative context in society. (I wish the NAACP would change their name, more so because it's an old fashion term and because the name excludes a people group.  They should name the group for the advancement of all people)  So I say change the name.  Some would say changing the name would lead to politcal correctness chaos.  Yet I vehemently disagree with this.  This is about providing a voice for a people who is almost forgotten in the mainstream american society.  So what are you guys thoughts on this again?

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, they ought to change it.

They could pretty easily work with some native american groups to come up with something that was not offensive and was honoring to them.

#3 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yeah, they ought to change it.

They could pretty easily work with some native american groups to come up with something that was not offensive and was honoring to them.

My thoughts exactly, especially the part about working with native groups to come up with a new name.  Washington DC is our capital.  Considering the history of how the native people of this land were treated, letting them pick the name for the nation's capital football team would be the least this country could do.  (Of course not making light of that history and saying naming a football team would correct the wrongs.) ^_^

#4 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,743 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Def should change it...

Washington Potatoskins

#5 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Def should change it...

Washington Potatoskins

Mr. Potatohead would be offended.

#6 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I would recommend anyone who is offended by the name vote with their feet and pocketbooks and withdraw their support for the organization and team.

I do not however support forcing them to change.  If the ownership wants the change or feels the economic consequences of keeping the name I would welcome a change to something less divisive.  I dont think its the right of the NFL, the NFLPA, or the general public to call for this change.  If the fans of that team want it they have the power to let the ownership know and that should be the beginning and the end of who has a say in the name of that franchise.

To be clear...

I would support a name change. 

I just dont think Panther fans or the NFL or Budweiser or the Elders of the Cherokee Nation have any say in the matter.

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I agree with you Inmicus, they can't be forced to change it...   but I don't think that's what Matthais is asking.

#8 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,935 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

The Washington Redskins should adopt their original name Braves...

or if the NFL doesn't have an issue with the name Redskins...

require the Patriots to become the New England Pale Faces and the Cowboys, the Dallas Colored Boys. 

Then we'll wait and see how long these new names persist.

#9 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I wouldn't necessarily want the ownership to be forced to change the name.  I want the ownership to come together with the natives and work on a new name.  That would be a glorious ending to this whole situation.

#10 chubs2496

chubs2496

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

The Washington Redskins should adopt their original name Braves...

or if the NFL doesn't have an issue with the name Redskins...

require the Patriots to become the New England Pale Faces and the Cowboys, the Dallas Colored Boys.

Then we'll wait and see how long these new names persist.

The celtics have a pretty pale face.

#11 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,102 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

The question is not, "Should the Washington Redskins Be Forced to Change Their Name?"

The question is, "Should the Washington Redskins Change Their Name?" meaning the team and its ownership makes the decision to change the name.

The quickest way to get them to change their name? At next year's draft, if their first round draft pick happens to be black, that draft pick does a John Elway and publicly refuses to play for the team, citing a name bearing racial overtones. Kind of curious no current member of the team who also happens to belong to a historically racially oppressed minority hasn't stood up and said something.... hmmm....

#12 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I didn't mean to imply that Matthias(OP) or anyone else suggested that they be forced.  Its just that every time Ive had this conversation there comes a point where comparisons are drawn to other racial epithets and how society wouldn't stand for those and we shouldn't stand for this - a veiled intimation that they should be forced.

I was just getting out in front of that tangent.

Again I agree that they should change but I dont see it happening without Dan Snyder arriving in his skybox to see his team play and looking down on a mostly empty stadium.

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,691 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

i think changing it would be the ethical thing to do, yes

#14 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,102 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I simply find it uncomfortably ironic that there is a large number of African Americans on this football team who completely and utterly bristle at the notion of someone using a racial epithet toward them. But they seem to have no problem playing for an owner who, by the sheer nature of his attitude, seems to be okay with a team name that is considered by many as just that- a racial epithet. I guess as long as it's not directed at you, it's okay? And as long as said owner is signing their paychecks, it's okay as well

#15 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,327 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I agree up until the point where you said the nfl and nflpa shouldn't call for a change. I think it is their place. I wish a draft pick would hold out based on the name.

I would recommend anyone who is offended by the name vote with their feet and pocketbooks and withdraw their support for the organization and team.

I do not however support forcing them to change. If the ownership wants the change or feels the economic consequences of keeping the name I would welcome a change to something less divisive. I dont think its the right of the NFL, the NFLPA, or the general public to call for this change. If the fans of that team want it they have the power to let the ownership know and that should be the beginning and the end of who has a say in the name of that franchise.

To be clear...

I would support a name change.

I just dont think Panther fans or the NFL or Budweiser or the Elders of the Cherokee Nation have any say in the matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com