311 replies to this topic

#31 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well, that is interesting. I wonder if this was before the Giants game and just now leaked. Then again, Rivera knows his seat is hot, and it has been since last year.

Oh well, at least he won't coach scared.

#32 DawgzLife

DawgzLife

Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Agreed. Rivera might be 2-15 in games decided by a TD or less, he might be 0-2 on opening day and he might bd 0-2 after the bye. But the guy does have a winning record in "oh poo my azz is on the line" games.

Problem is...a coach is supposed to be the 1 to motivate the team.  If he needs pressure like this to perform...he is not the answer.

#33 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

this isn't a surprise..Gettleman is doing his job..he needs to be prepared in case Rivera poos the bed the rest of the season..if anything this is a good thing..Rivera will have to coach his ass off or he's gone..as soft as our schedule is Rivera has a good shot at making the playoffs and keeping his job or Gettleman will have to make the easiest decision of his short GM career and move on from Rivera

#34 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Wtf

#35 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Oh, it's definitely a smart move to be doing it.

Probably would have been better to not have the media find out about it though :(

Exactly you do it but the media finding out is a disaster

#36 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you???

• HUDDLER
  • 4,969 posts

I LOVE it.... I was telling my wife this is good because it wont allow RR to get placid and go back to his ways. He needs to just had the keys to Cam and let him continue to do what he did best in the past- WIN..

Now he cant afford to be conservative...

LOVE IT...

#37 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,176 posts
  • LocationSC

You think Gettleman needs to 'defend' this?!

Not me. Rivera has had plenty of time to put a winner on the field. He's never put the team in the running for the playoffs, even with some great talent overall.

I hope it's not only true, but that we actually make the change. NFL is a win now league & he has shown that he can only win in garbage time. If we go to the playoffs, he may deserve to stay, but nothing less.

I am likely the moves Gettleman is making, so far.

I think he's right to be doing it.

Having it known to the public though? Not really a good thing.

He'll need to 'defend' it to Rivera, who I honestly think will understand that it's just business.

The people more likely to be angered by it though? The players. Rivera is very well liked in the locker room. And although they too may understand it's "just business", I'd still expect some will take offense to the news.

No, Gettleman doesn't have to apologize for doing his job. But he doesn't want anything distracting the team, so he'll want to smooth this over.

#38 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

i wouldn't say it is a disaster, especially when everybody and their mother knows if Rivera doesn't win he's gone

#39 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,834 posts

poo run org

Shoulda been gone last year

#40 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

Shula Bowl Shuffle

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,948 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

We have to be the worst ran organization in sports other than the Bobcats. So rumor was we lose to the Giants and he was gone. Then he was going to stay this season no matter what and now this.

yeah you saw what just happened in tampa bay right

we're the patriots compared to them

#41 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

The 1 that knows is prob Gruden....hopefully Dungy is wanting a comeback! Haha! I'd take Herm. Lol!!

#42 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,695 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Great!

#43 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,694 posts

Ya the worst part is this being leaked to the media, I'm sure other teams have done the same thing

#44 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,997 posts

Alright kiddies, sit around, I will now explain to you what's going on, or at least give you the two most likely options and flesh them out.

Gettleman chose not to fire Rivera, probably at the suggestion of Ernie Accorsi who was shadowing the franchise last year and getting a feel for everything. Every single Charlotte Observer article by Joe Person (the most company of men) went out of its way to mention how Rivera has "learned his lessons" as a head coach, or has "matured" as a head coach, or is now better at managing things from a HC position. It was very obvious.

The Panthers are very good at controlling the local narrative, and it's pretty clear to me what they wanted to get out there. Gettleman thinks Rivera is a good coach who just needed to get out of his own way. I think most of us would agree that over his first 2 years and change, Rivera is about one decision a game away from being a pretty good coach. It's just that whenever the moment comes, he fugs it up. Every. Single. Time. 

First two games of the season? the moment came in both. He fuged it up both times. He's learned nothing. He only went for it on fourth down last week because he thought it was first. He doesn't understand risk and leverage, to say nothing of other things, but I want to keep this relatively short.

YOUR TWO OPTIONS FOR WHAT THIS MEANS

A.) This legit leaked and they're getting their ducks in a row. Doesn't make any sense at all. If they were talking to a candidate, or had someone in mind, it'd have to be someone who is currently unemployed. 

B.) They're trying to light a fire under his ass. 

Actually, after typing this I have no fuging idea. This is weird. 

#45 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

I think he's right to be doing it.

Having it known to the public though? Not really a good thing.

He'll need to 'defend' it to Rivera, who I honestly think will understand that it's just business.

The people more likely to be angered by it though? The players. Rivera is very well liked in the locker room. And although they too may understand it's "just business", I'd still expect some will take offense to the news.

No, Gettleman doesn't have to apologize for doing his job. But he doesn't want anything distracting the team, so he'll want to smooth this over.

I see no distraction..Rivera already knows he's on the hot seat this season..just win..that's all he has to do..nothing else matters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com