Stopping Newton - The Word is Out

90 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What happened to the play calling from the 1st quarter? The ball was out quick and accurately. Arizona's D was off balance. From then on, the play calls shifted to slow developing plays and Arizona took advantage.

6 people like this

Posted · Report post

First things first.

The NFL is an organic entity. It evolves. Coaching staffs look for weaknesses to exploit. They do so until those particular weaknesses no longer remain. Then they search for another. This is how it has always been.

Once a team finds a weakness, you can expect others to follow suit. It is a guarantee.

Going into the the Cardinals game, Cam Newton was being rushed by at least 5 defenders a league high 44% of the time. Newton, protected by a patchwork offensive line, saw more pressure than any other quarterback in the league.

How did Arizona use this information? They doubled down. and the league was watching.

Arizona rushed at least 5 defenders 60% of the total snaps. The result? Seven sacks, three interceptions, six points. The word is out, pressure Cam Newton and the Panthers offense will have no answers.

This is not to say that Cam Newton is totally to blame. GM David Gettleman could have provided a better offensive line to protect him. Ron Rivera could have urged Mike Shula to find a way to get the ball out more quickly. Mike Shula could have anticipated the pressure and developed a counter strategy. The Offensive line could play with more heart and better communication.

The blame can be spread around quite easily.

It is now up to Mike Shula to realize that teams will be be bringing more pressure than ever before. It is up to him to counter the strategy with plays that quickly develop and make the defense second guess their approach. Can we expect to see more screens, draws, and hot routes? We can only hope.

In short, Cam Newton can be a franchise player in this league, but not on his own. So far this season his team has let him down.

Dont know who all saw it but Cam even had Rodney Harrison and Coach Dungy (Harrison actually said it) saying Cam needed to be on a different NFL team...on national tv.  

Posted · Report post

after watching Manning and Romo go at it yesterday, it obvious to me that Cam will always be a gimmick qb.  He is not a pro style qb and will never be accurate on deep passes.  I dont think Cam can get us to the Super Bowl.  Its not his fault, hes doing what he is capable of doing.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Instead of taking a 15 yd loss with each sack, love to see him heave one out of bounds.

2nd and 10, beats 2nd and 23

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The problem is, and homers just don't want it To be true, is that Newton had the vision of a blind cave bat. On a 3rd down sack by dansby, the whole middle of the field was wide open and Lafell came streaking across it, but Cams eyes never even budged from the primary receiver who took a decade to get open. The play ended with lafell telling cam, "hey I was wide the frick open. Look for me bra". The truth until Cam learns to go through his reads in an efficient manner, he will be an average qb at best.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Instead of taking a 15 yd loss with each sack, love to see him heave one out of bounds.

2nd and 10, beats 2nd and 23

He often does.  He hasn't developed that eye in the back of his head yet that more experienced QBs have, that's certainly something that needs to improve, but usually when he sees a defender coming he's either able to shake him (which is usually his course of action) or he throws it away.  He's not that bad at taking sacks, considering how often defenders are in his face.

Posted · Report post

Until the owner gets tired of being a laughing stock of a franchise and sees empty seats, beer not being sold, money not being made,

none of this will change.

With each passing game, it is absolutely obvious this team needs to be blown up.  It is obvious that our 'core' players are

also questionable.

The reality of the Panthers are there are probably 5 players that other top quality teams would be interested in and I dobut when

the coaching staff is blown up that many of those will be picked up either.

The Panthers  are the KMart of the NFL...the original blue light special and until they decide to step up in class the fans will get

what we have always got.

As a PSL holder, I'm sick of.  Sick enough to not complain about it anymore.  Sick enough to see what they do this offseason and if it is not a whole sale blow-up and start over similar to what is done in KC, I am truly done throwing $4200 a year on tickets away.