Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

One thing I have to give Ron credit for..

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

I know he's got a ton of flack from all of us for various reasons, and for the most part deservedly so... But IMO, I think he's really developed a solid overall coaching staff regarding the positional department this year with Steve Wilks with the DBs (he's regarded as one of the best defensive back coaches around), Eric Washington with the DL(was great with the bears and is obviously having success here), Proehl with the emergence of Ginn, and Jim Skipper (who should have never left to begin with) + the special teams has shown tremendous improvement under Richard Rogers and the extremely underrated hire of Bruce Dehaven. And with the solid play of the linebackers plus the improvement in cam's decision making I think it's safe to say that ken Dorsey and the new linebackers coach who's name I've forgotten at the moment deserve credit as well. I also think matsko has done a solid job with the patchwork OL he's been given to work with so far.

Just giving credit to where credit's due.. Kudos to Rivera for hiring a solid staff this year, hopefully the winning continues and the staff continues to develop the solid group of core players that this team has.

#2 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

All around the board we have quality coaches.   Maybe that is why he finally pulled his balls out of the closet and started using them.

You have so many quality coaches here that his decision making was holding the whole group back.

#3 FourthWard

FourthWard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationEl Wardo Quatro

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:07 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Riverboat Ron

Riverboat_Rivera.jpg

#4 Cage

Cage

Eternal Hatred

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

Yeah........all Rivera needed was time.  Unfortunately, patience doesn't exist in the lexicon of the average, raving, fan (atic).  Fans desire instant gratification.....like children.  It normally takes a little bit of time to build anything worth while. 

#5 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

Slack or flack?

#6 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Winning solves everything

#7 Kelp

Kelp

SWM seeks BBC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

One thing?

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,514 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

photo-thumb-14338.png?_r=1383728419

^ awesome.

#9 TrueBlackandBlue

TrueBlackandBlue

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

We hired a rookie HC. I'm ready to say hes learned his lessons and found an identity that works. If we win this division he should at least be in the discussion for coach of the year.

#10 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

Reference to Riverboats. . has the word "ward" in his name. . . not sure if he can be trusted.

you from New Orleeeens?

#11 FourthWard

FourthWard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Reference to Riverboats. . has the word "ward" in his name. . . not sure if he can be trusted.

you from New Orleeeens?

haha, no, born and raised in Greensboro, went to school in Chapel Hill and now live in Charlotte's 4th ward.  

Longtime lurker, newb poster

#12 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

haha, no, born and raised in Greensboro, went to school in Chapel Hill and now live in Charlotte's 4th ward.  

Longtime lurker, newb poster

hehe, ok just so you know, we have some stalker fans in NO that will go to unbelievable lengths to post here and make themselves look like the mullethunters they are.

What year did you grad form UNC?

<= Class of 97'

#13 FourthWard

FourthWard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

hehe, ok just so you know, we have some stalker fans in NO that will go to unbelievable lengths to post here and make themselves look like the mullethunters they are.

What year did you grad form UNC?

<= Class of 97'

No worries, I understand.  

UNC '10

#14 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

I always like Ron, and wanted him to do well, but I went ballistic on him the first 3 or 4 weeks because he kept on losing those close games that have plagued us.

But I think that the light switch has really came on for Coach in the past few weeks, and he has learned to trust Cam and the offense to get needed yards. He is now on his way to becoming the coach I always knew he could be, but just had not seen yet.

Even in the losses, he has had invaluable impact on improving this team. He was dead set on drafting Cam Newton, and I think he even talked Jerry into letting him do it. 

He has also built us what might soon be the best defense in the league (on his third different team might I add). He has also helped us to develop a system that can now win playoff games with stout defense and run games with a QB that can make plays when things break down. 

I am proud to have Rivera as our coach and I think he is finally getting it with the game-time decisions that used to cost us.

#15 Archimedes

Archimedes

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

For 2 years and 2 games he was an awful head coach...just terrible.  Then one game away from possibly being fired, and more than likely never getting a head coaching gig in the league again, Ron came out week 3 vs the Giants and was a completely new man.  It's not just the 5-1 record since, hes making all the right calls.  He's no longer timid on 4th downs, and in these situations the play calling has been aggressive as well (credit to Shula too), his game plans have a nice balance of down field passes, we aren't content with a 10 or 14 point lead, we run the same attacking offense in those situations.

I hope this new Ron keeps his edge, and works out long term.  Maybe having scrutiny he had to face, and his back against the wall changed the way he coached.  Maybe it really did just take two years for him to learn how to be a coach in this league.  Either way its been a fun month and a half, and he's got this team playing great and in position to get in the postseason for the first time in a while.  Credit where credit is due.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com