Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Grades - Panthers at 49ers

76 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

That 'freak accident' has occurred more times this year than it should in 5 years. Unbelievable that we keep making contact with balls on punts. Luckily our D bailed us out and it didn't affect the outcome. This was the first time I noticed us dropping somebody back on punts to be in front of Ginn and intercept the gunner. I think it was Lester. All he needs is a little time and space.

Pretty sure this is our first time blocking a punt all season.

Posted · Report post

I also wanted to mention that I thought for the most part we tackled really well yesterday. Obviously Luke had a few, but I specifically remember Captain having a huge tackle in the 4th. Love seeing that

Posted · Report post

Its not an all year grade.

Gano made 50% of his field goals this game.

48 yards isn't a gimme... and making a 53 yarder later in the game, plus his touchbacks, IMO he more than redeemed himself.

I think special teams grade is a little low.

Posted · Report post

Refs - F
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Well, all I have to say is, yesterday's game was a street brawl between Colin and Cam. They both brought their teams along and the game was everything it was billed to be. The media stated that the defense was going to win it for either team because they were pretty well matched on the offensive side. They were, for the most part, right.

But and I do mean BUT...the Panthers Receivers could have done way more damage in the scoring department if they had caught some of those balls Cam threw.

I remembered watching a game, don't remember what team, but the Announcer was livid because the Receivers of that team kept dropping perfectly passed balls. The Announcer's suggestion was, maybe it's time for those Receivers to put some velcro on their gloves if they are having a hard time catching and holding onto the ball. I will say the same thing to the Panthers Offense. They need to do whatever it takes to help Cam. The team is on a roll. Let's not mess up a good game because issues with catching balls. That is what practice is for.  I am not one of those fans who expect perfection and will go beating up on players because I know how fickled the game of football can be but when the team is in position to capitalize and they are not because of dropped balls, that energizes the other team when they see that. As stated many time Football is both physical and psychological.

Maybe it's time to put some sticky or velcro on those gloves. Do whatever it takes to catch those perfectly thrown balls because you know not every single ball will be perfect.

Anyway, after watching yesterdays game. I will give the Offense a B. They redeemed themselves despite the dropped balls, Cam Int, and the O-line breaking down to quickly around Cam.

The Defense gets a solid A+. They showed up and showed out!!! Nuff said.

The Secondary did make two costly mistakes, so I will give them a Solid c+

And whoever that guy was on the Panthers defense that caught Colin's INT, maybe the Offensive coach need to use him to show the 

v=2ZtSA9lGfk8

??

Posted · Report post

why did stewart get the majority of the carries?

Posted · Report post

C+ is being to nice to the offense.  Sure they had some nice drives but for the most part they where terrible.  D-

uhmmmm, no.  far from an A but did enough on this day.  Cam had one terrible pass that was picked off, but all-in-all, we moved the chains and ate clock.  Too many drops again this week, but picking up that 3 and 7 with 2:12 on that out route to Smith is a crunch time play.

Posted · Report post

Still, this is the Panthers special teams unit playing very solid, something in past seasons that was unheard of.

In comparison, this would be like Shaq having a 90% free throw average in a season.

it's obvious the broadcasters jinxed us, the 12/12 was on the screen then they had to go and say it.  And the fumble, was an example of a fluke play where the rare times a blocked punt can come back and haunt you.

Posted · Report post

I think Stewart's knee was down anyway, but it wouldn't have been overturned in a review since they originally called it a fumble and the refs refused to look at things without red and gold glasses on.

Posted · Report post

it's obvious the broadcasters jinxed us, the 12/12 was on the screen then they had to go and say it.  And the fumble, was an example of a fluke play where the rare times a blocked punt can come back and haunt you.

As Gano lined up to kick that first FG I almost said to my mom "this should be automatic, he hasn't missed one all year" but I stopped myself because I didn't wanna jinx it.  Then the announcers said it and I knew it was gonna be a miss.

Posted · Report post

Refs - F

Pretty bad that even in slow-mo, Vernon takes three steps, brings the ball to his chest right before Mitchell causes a fumble and they still call it an incomplete pass.

Posted · Report post

Pretty sure this is our first time blocking a punt all season.

Pretty sure he was referring to touching the ball on the return that leads to the kicking team recovering it, not touching the ball on a block.