• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 carolinaAl

carolinaAl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

I heard a couple times today, Miami said they would make Cam beat them with his arm. They stack 8 and 9 in the box, spy Cam, and focus on stopping the run. New England tried the same thing. Belicheck's MO is to take away a teams strength, what they do best, and he had 2 weeks to plan for Panthers. Well guess what, you want Cam to beat you with his arm?? Well alrighhhtyy then. He is happy to oblige.

With 2 4th qtr comebacks and primarily with his arm, teams will have to start honoring the pass more, opening back up running lanes. That and get Hartsock back. 

#2 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Our running game has never really been any good this year.

I'd like to see Tolbert and maybe Stewart get more touches. Williams just can't get consistent yards.

#3 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

With 2 4th qtr comebacks and primarily with his arm, teams will have to start honoring the pass more, opening back up running lanes. That and get Hartsock back. 

That is doubtful.  What teams are doing is working.  The late drives were obvious situations where they were going to pass.  Until the Panthers can find someone that is a deep threat, loading the box and man-to-man on the outside will keep being what the Panthers will see.  If only Ginn could catch a deep ball...

#4 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

We're reaching the most important part of the year. We just cannot afford to try and evenly distribute touches anymore for the sake of guy's feelings. We have got to feed the hot hand. I don't wanna lose anything valuable because we were concerned with being fair.

#5 General_Purr

General_Purr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

I wish our RBs could get a couple 10+ yd runs a game...

that would be huge

#6 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,525 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

I wish our RBs could get a couple 10+ yd runs a game...

that would be huge

That starts up front. We need Scott and Hartstock back soon though.

#7 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

There were a few ~10 yard gains by our RBs today.

#8 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

I know tha for some reason people think it doesnt count if Cam runs the ball... but we had 135 yards on the ground today, most of them in the second half. 

We are not the best run team in the league, but we are pretty good. 

If anything, we are not committing to the run enough. Earlier this year, up until and including the SF game, Deangelo was on fire. We need to hand him the ball some more, and he will eventually break the big one to the outside.

The really good thing is that Cam has really stepped up now, and even when we have problems running the ball, Cam can make enough throws, and the defense enough stops that we can pull off a win when we need to.

#9 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,525 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Charlotte Observer wants J-Stew to start carrying the load with D-Will coming in as a third down back.

I think that's a good idea. 

#10 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,127 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Charlotte Observer wants J-Stew to start carrying the load with D-Will coming in as a third down back.

I think that's a good idea. 

Agreed. I think Stew should be the workhorse back for this offense. He runs down hill, finishes his runs, and really seems to get better the more carries he gets and has the ability and physicality to wear down a defense. However, they may just be easing him back from his injury. Right now we do not know for sure whether or not Stewart could shoulder 20+ carries a game. 

#11 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,525 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Agreed. I think Stew should be the workhorse back for this offense. He runs down hill, finishes his runs, and really seems to get better the more carries he gets and has the ability and physicality to wear down a defense. However, they may just be easing him back from his injury. Right now we do not know for sure whether or not Stewart could shoulder 20+ carries a game. 

I'm thinking that as well. Stewart is coming off a long layoff. Rivera and Shula are likely being a tad cautious with him. That said, we gotta include Tolbert some more too. I can see him and Stewart punishing defenses on first and second downs and Williams providing a change of pace on third downs. Either way, things should get interesting as the season continues to unfold.

#12 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Williams has been running fine all season/career. its Shula that isnt getting him in a rhythm.

#13 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,094 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I know tha for some reason people think it doesnt count if Cam runs the ball... but we had 135 yards on the ground today, most of them in the second half.

We are not the best run team in the league, but we are pretty good.

If anything, we are not committing to the run enough. Earlier this year, up until and including the SF game, Deangelo was on fire. We need to hand him the ball some more, and he will eventually break the big one to the outside.

The really good thing is that Cam has really stepped up now, and even when we have problems running the ball, Cam can make enough throws, and the defense enough stops that we can pull off a win when we need to.

People don't count Cam's running bc they are wanting to discuss the traditional rush attack.....Cam needs that in order to have all his play action passes in the playbook to be respected. He needs it so he doesn't have to get in and work overtime doing the RBs ground work

Also I wouldn't call what Williams and been "on fire" up thorough the 9ers game. I think that ended week 3 vs NY.....after that game he has pretty much been the guy bottled up not doing much yet breaking random long ones that don't come near enough

#14 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

It is really kind of hard for any of our RBs to get in rhythm being that we have to split carries like that. With that being said, Tolbert has been a beast in short yardage. I am loving him signing here more and more each game. We will get it going.

#15 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

We've been using more off tackle and misdirections lately with D'Will which is nice but the OL is weak on the right.  The off-tackle out of shotgun to the left side was his biggest gainer at the beginning of the game.  That's the way he excels and it was toward the stronger part of the line.  Counters, misdirection, off-tackle runs.  Not draws, dives, or wildcat.  Gross and Kalil again did great yesterday.  

I agree that given the looks of Shula's playbook we should utilize Stewart and Tolbert a little more.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.