Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivera says he's sticking with Chandler

98 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Surprising given reports that Scott was getting healthy.

We discussed a while back how player evaluation and roster management are Rivera's biggest weaknesses as a coach. Unfortunately that doesn't look to have improved :(

You don't think Gettleman talks to him and gives suggestions?  After all player evaluation is his strength.

Posted · Report post

You don't think Gettleman talks to him and gives suggestions? After all player evaluation is his strength.

I think this is true. I also think there would naturally be some stubbornness or "well, I'm the coach, I decide who's on the field".

Who knows, though. Saying for sure one way it another would be pure speculation on our part.

Posted · Report post

I think this is true. I also think there would naturally be some stubbornness or "well, I'm the coach, I decide who's on the field".

Who knows, though. Saying for sure one way it another would be pure speculation on our part.

Given that Rivera was on the way out in week 4 I doubt he feels like he can tell his boss to back off since he is the coach.  From his previous discussions about asking for help from Madden and others during the off-season I really doubt he wouldn't listen to Gettleman and take his advice.  

Posted · Report post

Given that Rivera was on the way out in week 4 I doubt he feels like he can tell his boss to back off since he is the coach. From his previous discussions about asking for help from Madden and others during the off-season I really doubt he wouldn't listen to Gettleman and take his advice.

I'm not saying he'd outright refuse. But, as with any coach, I believe he thinks he knows what's best for the 53 men he has. Where to put them, when to sit them, etc.

Posted · Report post

Well I am sure DG is a nice asset to have.....

Hurney wasn't a football guy or a contract/cap guy...

Rivera seems to have his ears everywhere. He seems to take input per him everywhere. Coordinators, TV guys, retired guys, active coaches, news reporters, etc. He definitely doesn't seem to have the know it all attitude.

Especially on offense.

Posted · Report post

And lol @ every one turning on Ron now after one bad loss at the superdome in primetime no less, this following a franchise record winning streak.

There has never been a coach at any level of football that didn't get second-guessed on occasion.

It's as much a part of the game as the snap from center.

Posted · Report post

they already printed up the programs listing Chandler and Bell, they can't go and waste all of that $$.

Posted · Report post

There has never been a coach at any level of football that didn't get second-guessed on occasion.

It's as much a part of the game as the snap from center.

And? I never said he wasn't devoid of criticism did I?

Posted · Report post

I trust RR with his player evals. Looking back he has done a lot with a little so far.

That being said, I certainly do hope we shore up the O line in the offseason.

Posted · Report post

I don't think we want Chandler at RT... I bet a DE would blow by him in a heartbeat.

which wouldn't be any different than if Bell played there.

offensive tackle was his position he's been practicing and playing (preseason, and rated perfect), until the Panthers were forced to play him at guard.

The Panthers probably won't move him unless there is injury to bell.

Posted · Report post

And? I never said he wasn't devoid of criticism did I?

Perhaps not, but you were "loling" at those "turning" on Rivera after 1 loss.

To me, that implied that you found the criticism unfair. And perhaps some or all of it is. It's also possible that some of it is justified. My point is we may criticize a few decisions here and there, but that doesn't constitute "turning on Rivera".

Posted · Report post

Bell isn't that good at OG either. He can't get good leverage with his height, and he's unusually weak for his size. He really should be a backup RT, and nothing more. We could have moved Gary Williams to RT had we not lost him for the season.

1 person likes this