82 replies to this topic

#61 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

I mean, yeah, eating only celery and drinking only water will definitely make you lose weight.  But your life's gonna suck.

The best way to lose weight is to do resistance training.  Personally, I hate weightlifting, so I prefer to recommend aerobic exercises like using the elliptical.  They're not as good at weight loss, but they'll improve your heart health (which is half the battle if you're fat) and help you build endurance.

You can have a pretty crappy diet and still see great gains just by becoming more active.  It's tedious as hell, but you force yourself to do it.  Like going to work every day.

And if you need motivation, here's the manliest motivational speech ever given:

#62 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Why do 100% of gastric bypasses work?

They don't.

#63 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Gastric bypasses are a cop out. You might lose weight but they wont make you any healthier. People are just too addicted to all the garbage food they eat to give it up.

#64 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

A lot of it has to do with convenience. For me, since I don't get home until usually 5:30 or 6, if I haven't meal prepped ahead or had something in the slow cooker, I usually don't eat until 7 or so. I have had to make a serious effort to have my dinner prepped so I can eat at a decent time and eat something that isn't full of byproducts.

I'm also working on making the transition to a much less red meat diet. So that said, question for the vegetarians. How do you replace the animal protiens and still feel satisfied? I've tried reducing the amount of meat in my diet several times, but I just haven't felt satisfied when I eat. I'm curious about how you guys deal with that.

#65 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

A lot of it has to do with convenience. For me, since I don't get home until usually 5:30 or 6, if I haven't meal prepped ahead or had something in the slow cooker, I usually don't eat until 7 or so. I have had to make a serious effort to have my dinner prepped so I can eat at a decent time and eat something that isn't full of byproducts.

I'm also working on making the transition to a much less red meat diet. So that said, question for the vegetarians. How do you replace the animal protiens and still feel satisfied? I've tried reducing the amount of meat in my diet several times, but I just haven't felt satisfied when I eat. I'm curious about how you guys deal with that.

Personally I think this has a lot to do with past conditioning. For example, back when I ate meat I wouldn't be happy until I felt like crap and wanted to pass out. For me, that was the official sign that I was satisfied. I pretty much had to reprogram my brain to get over that association. Eventually I learned that food comas were not a normal part of digestion and started to appreciate the "lighter" and more energetic feelings I'd get after eating better stuff. To answer your question though, good vegetarian sources of protein I eat on the regular are black beans, tofu (beware gmo soy though), avocado, spinach, whole grains, and nuts. Eating these things will help you feel satisfied, but its a better kind of satisfied in my opinion.

#66 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Than for the info. The hardest part I've had is after 2 hours or so, I feel like I haven't eaten. Is that a normal feeling or do you eat 6 small meals a day?

#67 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Than for the info. The hardest part I've had is after 2 hours or so, I feel like I haven't eaten. Is that a normal feeling or do you eat 6 small meals a day?

I'd say that's pretty normal. I'm usually pretty good in between meals though, but if I ever get hungry i'll snack on some nuts, pita chips and hummus, or i'll make a fruit smoothie or something.

#68 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Eating a healthy snack between meals every 2 hours keeps you all satisfied and keeps your blood sugar optimum. Definitely don't try to only eat 3 smalls meals a day.

#69 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,664 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

The things venom listed are good. I'll also do a banana, one or two of those little orange/clementines, or some egg whites. Or a spoon of protein powder in some almond milk.

#70 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm "fat" because I'm lazy...but I'm honest about it!  I wanna lost some weight, but suffer the lack of committment to stick to it. 

#71 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,620 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

Almond milk + fresh fruit + protein powder = perfect post-physical activity snack. You feel satisfied with it and it helps your body recover.

I don't have food comas because I don't gorge like I did when I was a teenager. I usually eat 5-6 small meals/snacks a day. My biggest meal of the day is breakfast, not dinner.

#72 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

I only eat twice a day most of the time. I'm not really much of a snacker either.

#73 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

It's not just limiting the amount, it's also what you are eating.

I enjoyed reading Gary Taubes books "Why we get fat" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories". He details how insulin resistance (over eating sugars/carbs) is the bad element. And has been known for over 100 years. For some reason gov't and the media (and I"ll add big agra) got the US to start eating carbs (bottom of the food pyramid) in the 60s-80s.

LImiting the total amount of food you eat will limit carbs/sugars by default. Insulin is a fat usage blocker that prevents your body from using it's stored energy.

Amazon linky: http://www.amazon.co...=why we get fat

So Zod and Venom are both correct in a sense, but it's not the total story of how our bodies handle foods.

#74 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,620 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

It's not just limiting the amount, it's also what you are eating.

I enjoyed reading Gary Taubes books "Why we get fat" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories". He details how insulin resistance (over eating sugars/carbs) is the bad element. And has been known for over 100 years. For some reason gov't and the media (and I"ll add big agra) got the US to start eating carbs (bottom of the food pyramid) in the 60s-80s.

LImiting the total amount of food you eat will limit carbs/sugars by default. Insulin is a fat usage blocker that prevents your body from using it's stored energy.

Amazon linky: http://www.amazon.co...=why we get fat

So Zod and Venom are both correct in a sense, but it's not the total story of how our bodies handle foods.

For a counterpoint, you should check out Stephan Guyenet's blog writings.

He makes the valid point that insulin's role in fat storage is to deal with the food you've just eaten. Insulin regulates if that fat (if its a fatty meal) is stored or burned. It does not regulate fat that is already stored.

#75 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

For a counterpoint, you should check out Stephan Guyenet's blog writings.

He makes the valid point that insulin's role in fat storage is to deal with the food you've just eaten. Insulin regulates if that fat (if its a fatty meal) is stored or burned. It does not regulate fat that is already stored.

There's quite a bit of reading to do there. Looks interesting. Pie for you sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com