I know a lot of us dislike A.luck...

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#111 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

I was hopeful we would get Luck when we got the #1 pick. I was dissapointed when he returned to Stanford. But the only reason I was dissapointed was because I didn't think Hurney would have the stones to draft Cam Newton and we badly, badly, badly needed a QB.

I never begrudged Luck personally about it though. I felt from the beginning that Newton had the highest ceiling of any QB to come out in a while. I also felt Luck had the lowest floor. In other words, at worst Luck was going yo be a Matt Ryan level QB.

But I wanted either/or and got Cam.

Luck seems like s nice enough guy, like The Golden Calf of Bristol, but the media hype that built through Luck's last season at Stanford really made it harder to root for the guy. The pre-draft hype was even more rediculous. And since he has been drafted he has continued to be overrated.

My point of contention is with the media. Not Luck himself nor Luck the football player.

#112 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

In all honesty, after watching the Panthers wring every once of talent out of Cam to help their offense, while you fans keep expecting more and more out of him and so little out of the other players, I would say, if Luck had chosen to enter the draft in 2011 and was picked by the Panthers, he would end up going to route of Jimmy Clausen by now. For as much as those in the media want to convince everyone that Luck is equal to Cam because of the physics and supposed equal talents, they are indeed different between the ears. It's clear to see which kid was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and which one had to learn from his mistakes and bust his ass to succeed. Which kid seriously knows how to take a team on his back and carry them to victory and which one needs to have a team built around him but gets all the praise for being that way after his team wins. It's clear to see the kid who many believe ridiculing and criticizing his every move is what is needed to make him supposedly "stronger and more mature" QB and which one will never be treated that way because it will affect his mental state. 

Andrew Luck is just a marketing strategy. The NFL has a specific image it wants to sell and project, Luck just fit that image. They're just looking for people who fits that image. Since Peyton, Brees, and Tom are bound for retirement Luck is just a contestant and they'll ride him until they find the next guy who fits it to pass the bucket to. This is not about football nor sport.

I remember listening to an interview of a guy who used to work for ESPN and what he was saying is that they encouraged them to say the word T.Ebow in all their broadcast. The more the merrier. This is the same thing. It's all subliminal. You say it enough and get 2 of 1000 idiots to believe it, then it's a success. Kind of like the 419 scam. Send enough spam to people's inbox you'll get 4-5 morons out of 1000 to click and follow up with it. The media is not an intelligent entity. They're just playing the numbers game. If you include Luck in conversation about great people then he must be relevant, right?!

What, did you think the NFL was going to relinquish its All-American boy image to Cam!?

#113 footballisasport

footballisasport

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

Andrew Luck is just a marketing strategy. The NFL has a specific image it wants to sell and project, Luck just fit that image. They're just looking for people who fits that image. Since Peyton, Brees, and Tom are bound for retirement Luck is just a contestant and they'll ride him until they find the next guy who fits it to pass the bucket to. This is not about football nor sport.

I remember listening to an interview of a guy who used to work for ESPN and what he was saying is that they encouraged them to say the word T.Ebow in all their broadcast. The more the merrier. This is the same thing. It's all subliminal. You say it enough and get 2 of 1000 idiots to believe it, then it's a success. Kind of like the 419 scam. Send enough spam to people's inbox you'll get 4-5 morons out of 1000 to click and follow up with it. The media is not an intelligent entity. They're just playing the numbers game. If you include Luck in conversation about great people then he must be relevant, right?!

What, did you think the NFL was going to relinquish its All-American boy image to Cam!?

I totally get where u're coming from and believe today's media uses all levels of psychology to control their audience for many reasons. Just look at the Richard Sherman nonsense. Three days later, they are still trying to squeeze life out of an incident that should have been left on the football field and is now blaming Sherman for being a "distraction" when it's they who can't stop talking about it. In other words, football season is over and they need to keep their job. 

But truth be told, when it comes to Luck and the whole "Traditional" QB image, I believe it's those both in the media and football world, who are of a particular age, who are the ones desperately trying to hold unto an image that is easy for them to accept.  I want to believe the younger generation of  football watchers are more openminded and will accept that the role and image of today's football QB is quite fluid. I also believe Luck is a very well connected man. IMO, there is nothing appealing about him and he has zero marketing appeal. Peyton Manning, the past chosen QB, may not be that good looking but he has a certain appealing charm about him that makes him quite marketable. Luck has ZERO personality and just average QB skills, IMO.

What we keep forgetting is, although we supposedly live in a free society, the media has always been the tool used to control the minds of those in a society. 

#114 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

You guys show your insecurtiy about your own QB repeatedly by all these threads running other QB's down.  Hint, it does not make our QB better by trying to make all his peers look worse.

#115 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

I totally get where u're coming from and believe today's media uses all levels of psychology to control their audience for many reasons. Just look at the Richard Sherman nonsense. Three days later, they are still trying to squeeze life out of an incident that should have been left on the football field and is now blaming Sherman for being a "distraction" when it's they who can't stop talking about it. In other words, football season is over and they need to keep their job. 

But truth be told, when it comes to Luck and the whole "Traditional" QB image, I believe it's those both in the media and football world, who are of a particular age, who are the ones desperately trying to hold unto an image that is easy for them to accept.  I want to believe the younger generation of  football watchers are more openminded and will accept that the role and image of today's football QB is quite fluid. I also believe Luck is a very well connected man. IMO, there is nothing appealing about him and he has zero marketing appeal. Peyton Manning, the past chosen QB, may not be that good looking but he has a certain appealing charm about him that makes him quite marketable. Luck has ZERO personality and just average QB skills, IMO.

What we keep forgetting is, although we supposedly live in a free society, the media has always been the tool used to control the minds of those in a society. 

50-60 years ago society used to enforce this by not only passing laws but also brute violence and it didn't succeed. What makes the media and the NFL  think they can succeed in maintaining an image that doesn't exist. Sherman, Cam, Kaepernick, Vick, etc. are all real and they share the same field Peyton et al share. The idea that it's a bunch of Peytons, Brees, B.radys, etc. throwing to a bunch of beings with helmet is rather disappointing. I'm just used to sports being the most talented and accomplished getting their dues. Apparently not the NFL. I don't wanna wait until 15 years from now for people to start looking back and realizing how incredible Cam is. to me, Cam is the most talented player in the NFL. If I had one game to win to save my life I would want Cam to be the QB. I think I'm starting to appreciate the NBA a little more by the day because it's left to its own device.

#116 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

50-60 years ago society used to enforce this by not only passing laws but also brute violence and it didn't succeed. What makes the media and the NFL  think they can succeed in maintaining an image that doesn't exist. Sherman, Cam, Kaepernick, Vick, etc. are all real and they share the same field Peyton et al share. The idea that it's a bunch of Peytons, Brees, B.radys, etc. throwing to a bunch of beings with helmet is rather disappointing. I'm just used to sports being the most talented and accomplished getting their dues. Apparently not the NFL. I don't wanna wait until 15 years from now for people to start looking back and realizing how incredible Cam is. to me, Cam is the most talented player in the NFL. If I had one game to win to save my life I would want Cam to be the QB. I think I'm starting to appreciate the NBA a little more by the day because it's left to its own device.

As stated before, there are those in the media who want to keep the status quo in the QB position. i personally believe if you let the natural talent of these players go untouched by the media and their filtering, folks wouldn't have a problem see Cam as good as Peyton in a few years. But it's clear by the endless pushing of Luck, how the brainwashing works and who want the image of the QB status quo to remain intact. 

I also believe Luck's father has a lot of inside the media friends and they are more than happy to push his son ahead of a kid like Cam, whom they are soothingly jealous of anyway. 

#117 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

As stated before, there are those in the media who want to keep the status quo in the QB position. i personally believe if you let the natural talent of these players go untouched by the media and their filtering, folks wouldn't have a problem see Cam as good as Peyton in a few years. But it's clear by the endless pushing of Luck, how the brainwashing works and who want the image of the QB status quo to remain intact. 

I also believe Luck's father has a lot of inside the media friends and they are more than happy to push his son ahead of a kid like Cam, whom they are soothingly jealous of anyway. 

Agree completely. You should watch today's version of First Take, Stephen A. Smith went in-depth about that. He doesn't know much about football but the social non-football stuff and his ability to express is points is something to be desired. He's like the voice to the voiceless as it pertains to what you and I are talking about.

He kind of went into details how the NFL pick just 3-4 players(Brees, B.rady, Peyton) to market in a league of 1600 players and that players like Sherman are trying to improve their marketability. All those 3-4 players have to do is sit back relax and wait for their endorsement to coming but there are other players on the field who are  doing great things that are not getting any attention at all. I have a feeling that  a lot of those players are in Smith's ear. It's great that he's bringing attention to that and maybe in the future there will be room for guys like Cam. We know Peyton broke some TD records but who is he throwing those footballs to. I'm sure there are some receivers out there who has a combine catch of 51 TDs. Who are they! It's weird that he's thinking the same thing we're thinking. They normally post it on youtube. I will sure post it if I find it. I think it was pretty intense.

#118 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Agree completely. You should watch today's version of First Take, Stephen A. Smith went in-depth about that. He doesn't know much about football but the social non-football stuff and his ability to express is points is something to be desired. He's like the voice to the voiceless as it pertains to what you and I are talking about.

He kind of went into details how the NFL pick just 3-4 players(Brees, B.rady, Peyton) to market in a league of 1600 players and that players like Sherman are trying to improve their marketability. All those 3-4 players have to do is sit back relax and wait for their endorsement to coming but there are other players on the field who are  doing great things that are not getting any attention at all. I have a feeling that  a lot of those players are in Smith's ear. It's great that he's bringing attention to that and maybe in the future there will be room for guys like Cam. We know Peyton broke some TD records but who is he throwing those footballs to. I'm sure there are some receivers out there who has a combine catch of 51 TDs. Who are they! It's weird that he's thinking the same thing we're thinking. They normally post it on youtube. I will sure post it if I find it. I think it was pretty intense.

Who knew the NFL was so political; that it stop really being about raw talent and more about connections, and personal dislikes and prejudices.

I guess since much money is to be made, those in the media believe they should play a much stronger role because they help bring in the money. As far as the molding and intentional holding back of certain players, and endless hyping of others that has always happening. The only difference is today's media is not only brazen but believe if they keep pushing their version of reality, eventually many will simply believe and it will eventually spread. example: the Sherman foolishness.

Why do I keep saying Sherwood instead of Sherman? Who the heck is Sherwood anyway? LOL

#119 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

The only difference is today's media is not only brazen but believe if they keep pushing their version of reality, eventually many will simply believe and it will eventually spread. example: the Sherwood foolishness.

Oh, I agree. Something must be done!

The Sherriff of Nottingham simply cannot be allowed to get away with his treatment of good, loyal citizens!

#120 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Oh, I agree. Something must be done!

The Sherriff of Nottingham simply cannot be allowed to get away with his treatment of good, loyal citizens!

Well, I know u're a very well informed fan because u do research...U told me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users