Photo
- - - - -

the birther movement making the latest go-round on social media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#25 mav1234

mav1234

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

I suppose the fact that the birth certificate was not readily available to begin with is why people got caught up into it.  Not sure.

Then, when it was presented, they called it a forgery, but having the doc should have settled it.  Before it was presented, however, is when it all took off.  People will assume things that fit their desires.  I am sure many thought Dan Rather was exactly right when he reported the Bush/National Guard stuff that also turned out to be forged.

I think hope that their "enemy" had issues, fueled both the birther movement and the Bush/Killian stuff. 

Since when was it standard practice for politicians to publish birth certificates?

Why even question Obama's birth?

And a big part of the birther movement actually came after the certificate was released...

#26 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Since when was it standard practice for politicians to publish birth certificates?

And a big part of the birther movement actually came after the certificate was released...

McCains birth was questioned on a few occasions, so it happens.

When you are known to have lived here and there and have a father from a foreign country, of course you might have questions, especially from your opponents.

Why even question George Bush's Air Nat'l Guard record?

#27 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

McCains birth was questioned on a few occasions, so it happens.

When you are known to have lived here and there and have a father from a foreign country, of course you might have questions, especially from your opponents.

Why even question George Bush's Air Nat'l Guard record?

McCain's birth was never questioned at the level of Obama's.  He never had to release his birth certificate.

I don't even recall the deal with Bush's national guard record, so I can't say.  But there's a difference between questioning someone's citizenship, birth, etc, and questioning their service, IMO, though neither are good in the least.  Remember Swiftboat Veterans for Truth or whatever that bullshit was?

Either way, birther stuff continues to this day and I haven't heard about Bush's national guard service at all.

#28 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

McCain's birth was never questioned at the level of Obama's.  He never had to release his birth certificate.

I don't even recall the deal with Bush's national guard record, so I can't say.  But there's a difference between questioning someone's citizenship, birth, etc, and questioning their service, IMO, though neither are good in the least.  Remember Swiftboat Veterans for Truth or whatever that bullshit was?

Either way, birther stuff continues to this day and I haven't heard about Bush's national guard service at all.

The Bush Nat'l Guard stuff was a bunch of forged documents that Dan Rather went with before getting them checked out.  Again, he saw his enemy and a weakness and went with it, just like birthers did, and apparently are still doing.  I did not say either was right, just that both judgements were clouded.  I was tongue in cheek on the BTW.

http://en.wikipedia....nts_controversy

#29 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

This is why the birth certificate is/was such a big deal.

Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

They are questioning whether or not he even qualifies to be President. I believe President is the only office that requires you to be a natural born citizen. Anyone can question whether or not he was a citizen. What really fueled the fire is how long it took for a birth certificate to be produced.

#30 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

This is why the birth certificate is/was such a big deal.

Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

They are questioning whether or not he even qualifies to be President. I believe President is the only office that requires you to be a natural born citizen. Anyone can question whether or not he was a citizen. What really fueled the fire is how long it took for a birth certificate to be produced.

He shouldn't have needed to produce the birth certificate.  John McCain never did.  Why should obama have had to?  No previous president ever had to as far as I remember.  It's a bunch of bullshit.

#31 GWBNostrils

GWBNostrils

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

It's obvious why ;)

#32 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

The Bush Nat'l Guard stuff was a bunch of forged documents that Dan Rather went with before getting them checked out.  Again, he saw his enemy and a weakness and went with it, just like birthers did, and apparently are still doing.  I did not say either was right, just that both judgements were clouded.  I was tongue in cheek on the BTW.

http://en.wikipedia....nts_controversy

Ahh, thanks.

It appears Rather did apologize.  Still dumb he put it out there.

It is the media's job to expose stuff like this, but it sounds like this is a good example of what happens with journalists put personal feelings in front of fact checking.  Piss poor judgment. 

At least he apologized.  If half the assholes on networks that talked about that poo apologized I wouldn't be irritated as much, they goddamn they kept talking about it... even gave a forum to that crazy sheriff in Arizona.  Ugh.

#33 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Yep, I hear people in my own extended family, "he wasn't even born here", but none of them know that much about current events, just stuff that is passed along that suits their bend.  The next question, if Huffpo fell in the forest, would CWG make a sound?  Just kidding.

#34 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Remember Swiftboat Veterans for Truth or whatever that bullshit was?

my freshman-year poli sci college professor called me "patrol boat" in class because i kept bringing up "unfit for command" during class discussions of the impending 2004 election

#35 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

He shouldn't have needed to produce the birth certificate.  John McCain never did.  Why should obama have had to?  No previous president ever had to as far as I remember.  It's a bunch of bullshit.

Any candidate running should have to produce one. I have to produce various licenses and forms of ID for my job. Running for Pres should be a higher standard, not a lower one.

#36 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

Jerry Richard$on and Gettledouche apologist

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

oddly the last time i remember the natural born citizen clause being a big deal before 2008 was when orrin hatch was trying to get it modified so ahnold could run for president