Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A coaching issue no one's talking about

24 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I suppose this is like back door tacit approval for the OC, but not really.

Not really.  My thoughts on this topic have nothing to so with Shula.

Posted · Report post

I've seen a lot of talk about the offensive coaching in the 49er game, but I think there were some deficiencies on the other side of the ball too.  One in particular stands out to me.

I'm speaking of Defensive Line Coach Eric Washington.

Both the Niners and our own guys have talked about adjustments the San Fan line made coming into the game and in the second half.  Their scheming and tweaks were largely successful at preventing our front four from putting the kind of consistent pressure on Kaepernick that we would have liked.  Ideally, Washington and Defensive Coordinator Sean McDermott would have found some way to counter. 

Unfortunately, they didn't.

And here we are...

So, am I saying that Washington is a bad DL Coach and needs to be replaced?

No.

It must be remembered that Washington has only three years of experience coaching in the NFL.  The guys coaching the trenches on the other side of the ball - Mike Solari, Jim Tomsula and Tim Drevno - all have an edge on him in the experience department.  49er OL Coach Mike Solari, in particular, has been around forever and is considered one of the best OL coaches in the league.  And it certainly doesn't hurt that these experienced coaches had some quality players to work with. 

This game aside, if you look at Washington's body of work coaching the D-Line, he's been pretty good overall.  Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson have definitely improved under his teaching. Both Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short had solid rookie seasons. Colin Cole returned to old form and Frank Alexander looked decent.  And even unheard of guys like Mario Addison and Wes Horton had their moments, showing they could contribute.

But sadly, just for this one game, Washington was outcoached.

I'm expecting he'll be better come time for the rematch.

Mr. Scot,

I think you should really think about getting off the laptop for a day or two. You're really over doing it with these threads and just went overboard calling out Eric Washington. Eric Washington is one of the best coaches, if not the best right behind RR on this team. He's the main reason why our defensive front was this damn great.

NFL network showed a clip comparing our front 4 to Pittsburgh's a while back. The difference was Eric Washington was telling our guys to "run/pass" on run downs. If they saw that the offense wasnt going to run, they needed to go right into rushing the passer. Pittsburgh however just kept playing the pass like it was a run. Just showed how good of a coach he is.

You should think about calling out Ricky Proehl, Jim Skipper, Steve Wilks, John Matsko, etc. before calling Mr. Washington out.

Let this be your last thread for a while. okay?

Posted · Report post

Mr. Scot,

I think you should really think about getting off the laptop for a day or two. You're really over doing it with these threads and just went overboard calling out Eric Washington. Eric Washington is one of the best coaches, if not the best right behind RR on this team. He's the main reason why our defensive front was this damn great.

NFL network showed a clip comparing our front 4 to Pittsburgh's a while back. The difference was Eric Washington was telling our guys to "run/pass" on run downs. If they saw that the offense wasnt going to run, they needed to go right into rushing the passer. Pittsburgh however just kept playing the pass like it was a run. Just showed how good of a coach he is.

You should think about calling out Ricky Proehl, Jim Skipper, Steve Wilks, John Matsko, etc. before calling Mr. Washington out.

Let this be your last thread for a while. okay?

I think maybe you should read that post you quoted a little more carefully.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I think maybe you should read that post you quoted a little more carefully.

I sure read it carefully.

Everyone gets out coached every once in a while. Still, I dont see why you needed to call Eric Washington out in general. All the other coaches I named above and our HC Ron Rivera was out coached. Why call out Washington only? We didnt lose this game because we couldnt get to Kaepernick. We lost the game bc our offense couldnt get going. Washington did a hell of a job stopping Gore until that worthless run late in the game.

Calling out Star and KK first. Now Eric Washington? I'm just saying we lost as a team. Not solely on a particular person(s). It's over already. Live a new day. Chill down on the thread for God's sake. Please.

Posted · Report post

I sure read it carefully.

Everyone gets out coached every once in a while. Still, I dont see why you needed to call Eric Washington out in general. All the other coaches I named above and our HC Ron Rivera was out coached. Why call out Washington only? We didnt lose this game because we couldnt get to Kaepernick. We lost the game bc our offense couldnt get going. Washington did a hell of a job stopping Gore until that worthless run late in the game.

Calling out Star and KK first. Now Eric Washington? I'm just saying we lost as a team. Not solely on a particular person(s). It's over already. Live a new day. Chill down on the thread for God's sake. Please.

Got my doubts on that.

But to be clear there's already been plenty of calling out of the offensive coaches (in many cases, rightly so).  The premise of this thread was to discuss something that wasn't being discussed, hence the title.

And take a look at the other thread again, then answer this: Did I "call out" Star and Short, or did I just ask for opinions?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Got my doubts on that.

But to be clear there's already been plenty of calling out of the offensive coaches (in many cases, rightly so).  The premise of this thread was to discuss something that wasn't being discussed, hence the title.

And take a look at the other thread again, then answer this: Did I "call out" Star and Short, or did I just ask for opinions?

Let it go. Start looking at the draft or something.

The last group of players/coach you need to worry about is the DL.

Posted · Report post

Let it go. Start looking at the draft or something.

The last group of players/coach you need to worry about is the DL.

Yer not getting it...

Nevermind :unsure:

Posted · Report post

Yer not getting it...

Nevermind :unsure:

No, you're the one not getting it.

You're still upset over the loss. You're hearing voices in your head telling you things. You're trying to find a sense of peace by trying to point finger at others.

You'll find peace by looking toward the 2014 draft. Trust me.

Posted · Report post

Eric Washington is a decent Line Coach. Hes not great.  Scott, I dont think the issue was with him persay, but for the team overall not making adjustments.   I think this falls on Rivera.  It was obvious that they thought what they were doing was working so they didnt change it.  this is exactly what Harbough wanted.  He wanted to put carolina in a position to think that what they were doing was effective so they didnt change anything and then it would be too late.

Posted · Report post

Rivera was outcoached in this game and He had no control over his players as evidenced by emotionally boneheaded penalties  - that worries me.

Posted · Report post

No, you're the one not getting it.

You're still upset over the loss. You're hearing voices in your head telling you things. You're trying to find a sense of peace by trying to point finger at others.

You'll find peace by looking toward the 2014 draft. Trust me.

If you say so.

Posted · Report post

If you say so.

Don't worry about that guy Scot. Chuck is gonna Chuck, regardless of what you or anyone says.