• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

^ Don't disagree, there is no guarantee of elite talent at WR or OL being available in the 2nd, but certainly there is a greater chance than there being elite TE talent available.  While most would put a higher priority on WR or OL, I'm not so sure, and also not sure it's not easier to find WR or OL elsewhere (FA or trade) than an elite TE.  Cam needs weapons, this much is clear, but maybe a game changing TE for Cam would be better value? 

#17 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

i would love to pick up another pass catching TE in addition to drafting another WR in the first couple rounds and picking up one of nicks/decker/baldwin/tate and drafting a RT early, upgrading RG, and helping out the secondary.

we can do all that this offseason, right?

sigh........

I'm not sure about the availability of a TE in the draft considering we need so many other things above a TE.  I do know that G-man has never really liked going o-line early in the rounds.  I think Chris Snee was the last early round O-lineman he was a part of drafting.  This leads me to believe that if the BPA strategy holds true the Carolina Panthers could be staring at a double dip in the WR pool(WR heavy draft).  Then back filling the draft with solid o-linemen and corners.  Enter a few value vets in the free agent market and bam! we are rolling into next season with some power.

#18 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

To me, our more recent offense was at its best the year we used both Shocky and Olsen. In my opinion our offense just seems like it is missing something since Shula took over.

I for one am not sold on on our offense since Shula took over

#19 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I do know that G-man has never really liked going o-line early in the rounds. 

How do you know that?  The Giants rarely go OL high in the draft, but G-man wasn't the Giants' GM.  He may or may not have necessarily agreed with that draft strategy.  Watching Eli get beat to hell this year certainly didn't say much for it.

#20 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

How do you know that?  The Giants rarely go OL high in the draft, but G-man wasn't the Giants' GM.  He may or may not have necessarily agreed with that draft strategy.  Watching Eli get beat to hell this year certainly didn't say much for it.

ok maybe saying "i know" is a bit much, but taking the Giants history into account it seems to be that they felt (as an organization that Getts was formerly employed by) that o-line could be bolstered later in the draft and through FA's.  G-man has appeared to bring some of the Giants philosophies with him to Carolina.  It's not that big of a stretch to extrapolate tendencies from then to now.

#21 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

ok maybe saying "i know" is a bit much, but taking the Giants history into account it seems to be that they felt (as an organization that Getts was formerly employed by) that o-line could be bolstered later in the draft and through FA's.  G-man has appeared to bring some of the Giants philosophies with him to Carolina.  It's not that big of a stretch to extrapolate tendencies from then to now.

Well, G-man's comments on his philosophy of building a roster didn't necessarily hint at him not valuing OL in the upper rounds.  He said he wanted to build from the trenches outward.  He also said he wanted TD scorers.  IMO, based on our needs and his comments, we're taking OL or WR in the 1st.  Maybe a TE if someone like Ebron were to slip.

#22 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,599 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'm not sure about the availability of a TE in the draft considering we need so many other things above a TE.  I do know that G-man has never really liked going o-line early in the rounds.  I think Chris Snee was the last early round O-lineman he was a part of drafting.  This leads me to believe that if the BPA strategy holds true the Carolina Panthers could be staring at a double dip in the WR pool(WR heavy draft).  Then back filling the draft with solid o-linemen and corners.  Enter a few value vets in the free agent market and bam! we are rolling into next season with some power.

i wasn't necessarily talking draft for the TE.

picking one up in FA would be fine by me. i don't care how we get one, just as long as we do.

#23 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Whether it's right or wrong, no way we pick a TE in the 1st round with WR, OL and secondary needs like we have.

Good TE can get used as both WR and OL, makes perfect sense to me.

#24 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,599 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Good TE can get used as both WR and OL, makes perfect sense to me.

very true.

another big pass catcher and a 6th OL in one guy...sounds like a winner there if we can get one.

#25 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

very true.

another big pass catcher and a 6th OL in one guy...sounds like a winner there if we can get one.

I like the idea, but who would fill those requirements?

#26 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Tight end and free agent receiver like Tate or Nicks and I'm happy! You don't need to just pigeon hole these guys, they can play traditional sets or wideout or in the slot! Like broncos Julian Thomas or Gronk does! I think the idea is underrated by some on here! I'd rather have smitty nicks olsen and say ebron outthere than smitty lafell ginn hixon like last season! It's just a multiple of threats and plays you could use whereas the latter quarter we had this year were predictable and has no explosiveness or power

#27 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,215 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

Wouldn't mind grabbing CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd, guy even has an american eagle tattoo like Shockey. He's a 6'6" fantastic blocking TE with long arms, big and soft hands that improved greatly on catches in 2013. Some might say we have Hartsock as our blocking TE, but it seems age caught up to him with injuries, especially considering he'll be 34 and a free agent next season. 

hi-res-7621528_crop_650.jpg?1389839108

I like him as a big target. My only gripe is that he seems to fall down easy (much like Olsen does).

#28 cbully

cbully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

but but but but da Hartsock and da da da da da Brandon Williams.... lol.... I'd rather  a huge target WR.

#29 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

We cant have 2 TE Threats until we have 1 WR threat. 

#30 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

I like Olsen a lot at TE but he just can't break a tackle to save his life. It seems like he is tackled right where he catches it every time. I think it's time to get someone to complement Olsen at TE 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com