Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yahoo contributor Jonathan Wagner on Nicks.

136 posts in this topic

Posted

He's worth the risk on a 1-2 year contract. Get him, resign Ginn, draft a WR and we should be okay.

Why can't LaFell just be good damn it.

Because he is a 4th round pick with no speed and small hands for a receiver

Posted

As long as the contract is right, I'd love him here. 

You are correct.  The contract he gets should be incentive-laden with a minimum signing bonus..

Nicks would be great if he plays hard, but this is about character and effort. Anyone who played the game knows that there is only 1 speed.

Maybe it was Coughlin.   Maybe it was NYC and comparisons to VC.

Posted

If the price is right, fug yes

Posted

I don't understand how anyone can talk about and acknowledge him not giving full effort, yet still want him to join our team. That's a mindset and culture that we've been trying to change with this franchise for years now.

1 person likes this

Posted

Because he is a 4th round pick with no speed and small hands for a receiver

He was a third rounder, but the point is made--that year was a terrible year for WRs in the draft.  In addition, we are not getting better at WR if we re-sign what we have--Lafell had 4 years to step up.  He flashed, but never became a #2.  Moose was a #2.

Posted

If he does come to Carolina, #89 will make sure he isn't loafing around.

Posted

He was a third rounder, but the point is made--that year was a terrible year for WRs in the draft.

And we spent our highest pick on Clausen :(

Posted

I don't understand how anyone can talk about and acknowledge him not giving full effort, yet still want him to join our team. That's a mindset and culture that we've been trying to change with this franchise for years now.

I'm willing to give Nicks a one-year pass in that regard.  As far as I know he never had any kind of character or effort issues prior to last season.

Who knows, there might have been some epic falling out with the coaches behind closed doors and he just needs a change of scenery.

I think last season will be an aberration in Nicks' career.

1 person likes this

Posted

Gettleman and Nicks diabolical plan to tank the season and come to Carolina on the cheap. worked perfectly.

Nicks on the cheap, Ebron/Amaro/ASJ before NE can grab in the first, Moncrief/Adams/best remaining WR in a deep class in the 2nd.  Hot diggity D@MN!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

And we spent our highest pick on Clausen :(

AFTER QB-starved Minnesota and Kansas CIty passed on him TWICE. :startle:

Posted

Yeah honestly what happened to Nicks last season is kind of best case scenario for the Panthers. If he caught 10 touchdowns with 1,400 yards we wouldn't have a shot at getting him.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm willing to give Nicks a one-year pass in that regard. As far as I know he never had any kind of character or effort issues prior to last season.

Who knows, there might have been some epic falling out with the coaches behind closed doors and he just needs a change of scenery.

I think last season will be an aberration in Nicks' career.

Let's not make this some conspiracy that absolves Nicks of any blame.

I might buy what you are saying here if he had not been fined by his own team for conduct. Not to mention he couldn't find the end zone, but he wanted to tell the media he is still a top receiver in the NFL. That's a concerning mindset in the midst of a losing season. How will he respond to adversity here?

The guy has talent, that isn't what is up for debate currently, it's what's going on upstairs. Gettleman is going to take a hard look at the whole thing.