Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Aid in Dying" Movement: Thoughts

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

If you truly believe in the sovereignty of one's life, then I don't see how one can argue against one's will to end their own so long as it is not at the expense of anyone else.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

I believe anyone not in an altered state of consiousness should be allowed to receive Doctor assisted suicide.

This gets a little complicated when you consider the mentally ill. For instance, a severe manic depressive could feel the intense need to die one moment and then the ecstasy of life a couple of weeks later.

I strongly advocate the idea when dealing with the terminally ill, especially in severe cases of M.S.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Torn on this, but as someone married to a RN (then FNP) who worked in a MICU...I understand.  "Morphine tap out", keeping them comfortable, stop feeding tube, stop getting chemo treatments, calling Hospice, etc....it's all a part of the process of dying.  When it's our time...it's our time.  Some people get shafted in the health lottery.  By the way...all the ones I mentioned are already done in every hospital in North Carolina.  It's just not put into the hands of families or unlicensed health providers. 

Posted · Report post

It's an interesting conversation.

My nature I believe I am a fighter, but who can really say what they want until they are in such a situation (TeeRay's example).

In the end, who are we to judge? 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

If I'm fortunate to live to be elderly I plan to take care of it myself. I'd rather overdose on pills or jump off a cliff then wear diapers and live in a nursing home. 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Do you have kids/grandkids?

Posted · Report post

Do you have kids/grandkids?

yep

I'd rather leave him money then spend it all trying to live a longer unhappy existence. 

Posted · Report post

I've been through watching 2 very painful deaths. The one that sticks in my head the most was my grandmother. A couple of weeks before she died, she was put into a medically induced coma because the pain was so terrible that when she was awake, all she did was scream. There was nothing that could be done. She was kept alive by machine until her body gave out. No one deserves that. I have no idea what she felt or was aware of while in the coma, but I still remember her telling me while still conscious to make it stop. There are situations where it really is mercy for the one who is passing as well as for the family.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

It's a complex and emotional decision that should be left in the hands of the relatives and health care professionals, not the government.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It's a complex and emotional decision that should be left in the hands of the relatives and health care professionals, not the government.

Yes, because to you and CWG the only thing the gov't should do is financially support people for their lives.

Posted · Report post

Yes, because to you and CWG the only thing the gov't should do is financially support people for their lives.

Again, I was against bailing out your industry.

Posted · Report post

Your usual 2 cents that's not worth half that.

Just. Go. Away.