27 replies to this topic

#16 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

I want ASJ.

You, me, and hopefully GMan. Not only his immediate and long term impact, but the difference between he and the other TEs is huge, literally and figuratively. He's Gronk 2.0. The drop isn't near as steep for the other positions. We can still get legit starter quality at WR/OL/DB later in the draft. I do fear I'm setting myself up for a letdown, but the possibility appears and should be REAL.

#17 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

or he'll wind up out of the league and/or in jail.

Possibly but Chip had Colt on a tight leash while in Oregon. I see him controlling and molding Lyerla into a dangerous weapon.

#18 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

Crockett Gillmore would be a solid #2 TE. I wouldn't be totally opposed to ASJ or Jace Amaro in the 1st, but I'd prefer a WR.

#19 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

i love these reads done by rotoworld. one thing Peshek tweeted that was left out of the article was, ASJ had 34% of his receptions come inside of the red zone.

again, red zone targets is something this team needs.

#20 Real Emotional Trash

Real Emotional Trash

I

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

I'll be honest and say, after looking at the stats (not using the WATCH 'EM PLAY strategy), I like Niklas the most. His 70%+ line-up on the line of scrimmage would make him an excellent TE2. We're not looking for heir apparent as I think we can/should re-sign Olsen to a manageable contract due to his chemistry and ability to line up in different spots.

He had the highest percentage of yards after contact, something we desperately need. My wife and I made it a running joke that a Panthers' first job after securing the ball was to fall down. Most of our TD plays were bombs IN the end zone, or, like Smitty always seems to deal with, getting stopped inside the 5. A bulldozer TE with decent hands (his % for drops is skewed considering his lower catch amount) who can get separation and 6+ YAC despite almost always lining up with the OL? 

He's 6'7", is the perfect go-to in the red zone that we so desperately need, and although he only has one real season of actual body of work (because of Eifert being used as TE1 before), he did manage a 30+ catch season to go along with his 5 TDs.

Not to mention he'd definitely be available in the late second round in my opinion. A few mocks have him going to the Falcons in the third.

#21 Real Emotional Trash

Real Emotional Trash

I

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I think if we draft some people who can receive the first two rounds and pick up some CBs through free agency then that'd be the best way to go. Or maybe finding a CB gem. If we can find safety gems in free agency for cheap who fit our scheme and UDFAs like Melvin White, then surely we can hit homeruns with third round picks? 

For example, I'd love Jean-Baptiste if he wasn't such a press corner. I hate the cushions our scheme gives WRs and wonder what our defense would look like with more corner presence. Jamming at the line hard and aggressively following WRs throughout the whole route is what got the Seahawks a Super Bowl ring. Even though we won't look at Roby, he is one of those boom or bust kinda guys to go along with his on-the-field issues. I'm still upset we didn't try to get the Honey Badger.

#22 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Kind of off subject, but I read something  (I found it) that basically said that Olsen won't be a cap casualty this coming season, but probably will be one next year as we'll only be on the hook for 2.7 mil, but will clear up 5 mil if he is cut.  The writer also mentioned the fact that when G-man won it all with the Giants, that cheap TEs were on the roster (Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard).

TE's are cheap............ even when their the best in the league.

#23 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,469 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

ASJ at 28 I would be very happy with. Guy can do it all.

#24 FattyFatFat

FattyFatFat

Buddhist Monk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

You, me, and hopefully GMan. Not only his immediate and long term impact, but the difference between he and the other TEs is huge, literally and figuratively. He's Gronk 2.0. The drop isn't near as steep for the other positions. We can still get legit starter quality at WR/OL/DB later in the draft. I do fear I'm setting myself up for a letdown, but the possibility appears and should be REAL.

Let's hope he's bpa on gett-mans board at 28. I'd love him here.

#25 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

^ If Eifert was truly in play without Star at 14, ASJ has to be at 28, he just has to be. Hope he's available, which is no given. Can't wait for the combine tomorrow.

#26 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:30 AM

Very good read! Thanks for that. Amaro should be getting a lot more big plays given the time he spent as a slot receiver. There's already questions about his speed, well, this sort of confirms it.

#27 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

this draft class is deep as hell at OT, WR and TE. Really good for us

#28 Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel

Respect the Rivera

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

I could see Niklas beasting out this weekend and at his pro-day, and sliding into the chatter around where ASJ and the latter 1st round/early 2nd picks are.  6'7" 270 and like ASJ, is a very solid blocker.  I'm a huge fan of Lynch out of UGA too and would be happy with almost any of the TEs in this draft class honestly.  Lynch was pulling everything thrown at him at Senior Bowl practices and was a big target for Murray.  Given how we were considering one last year like ctrcat mentioned, I could see ASJ/Amaro/Niklas at 28 or Lynch in the 2nd. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com