#46 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

I would hate to see Steve Smith in another jersey, if by some chance they decide to part ways with him, I hope he retires immediately as a  Panther.

#47 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,818 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

can't wait to see what gman comes up with.

maybe that excruciating gman_was_right guy from half a decade ago was something of a prophet after all

#48 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

yeah but can he find those balls?

6cd70fdcc29930d4c940c1e8f1a14b3e.gif

They have interns to do that.

#49 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,736 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

I hope Gettlemen doesn't continue to Hurney these deals.....he did last year. We just need to take it on the chin with some and move on

#50 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,736 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Stewart's incentive to take a paycut will come from the fact that if he does so we can possibly guarantee his future here at a higher number than other teams would pay for a longer period of time instead of guarantee 1-2 years and definitively guarantee that he is cut right after that. He will never see a contract like that again, he isn't getting any younger, and he still hasn't shown his worth for the contract we gave him. So if he helps us out with the cap, we can offer him more time with the team, more money than other teams will offer him while he is here, he gets to stay and play with his teammates, and he won't have to sweat his immediate future nearly as bad. I've seen situations like this happen with other players before. If he is a team player and wants to help the organization get better and have a chance at a Super Bowl, then he needs to do it. It's a question of how much would you give up to get a ring?

Stewart is personally in a great situation...... Carolina not so much. He has little reason to do anything.

#51 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

I hope Gettlemen doesn't continue to Hurney these deals.....he did last year. We just need to take it on the chin with some and move on

This is my feeling as well.

Don't keep kicking that can down the road.

#52 Ketchup

Ketchup

NOT NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

What most don't think about is we can get a starting rb in the 3rd. He will get what 400000 a year and be able to play. Beats 7 mil and not seeing the field. Stewart will be gone and we will get some production for our money

#53 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

STEWART!!!!!

#54 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,026 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

What most don't think about is we can get a starting rb in the 3rd. He will get what 400000 a year and be able to play. Beats 7 mil and not seeing the field. Stewart will be gone and we will get some production for our money

If we cut Stewart, it costs us money. And lots of it. He's not going anywhere because of the way his contract is set up. 

#55 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Just because we know what it means to "restructure" a contract it doesn't mean that Joe Person knows what it means.

The panthers could be makeing extensions for all we know. Joe is a tool.

#56 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,665 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hurney guaranteed enough of Stewart's contract to royally screw us if he's cut.

#57 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,231 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

I anticipate a Deangelo, CJ and Olsen restructure, Stewart paycut, Smitty paycut (and he will be happy to do so), Godfrey paycut or June 1 cut.

What I hope happens next:

We re-sign Hardy and Gano immediately. We try to get Mitchell back with a reasonable deal, and he agrees a few days later than the first deals.

Gross comes back on a 2 year oddly team friendly deal with an opt out clause after the first year, but enough of a bonus to give him a fair amount.

Ginn comes back on multi-year deal, gets paid like a number 3-4 receiver with a little extra change for his elite special teams ability.

Munnerlyn tests the market, likely lands a deal out of our price range with another team.

Lafell back on a 1 year "prove it" deal or walks.

The rest we let test the market and come back with deals we either will or won't match.

and finally.... Strut like a boss into free agency with 10+ million in cap space and come away with a second consecutive successful and cheap free agency and Gettleman throws his dick on the table for all to admire.

I'm with you except for the LaFell part. I want him gonnnnee

#58 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

The Smith situation is very real.

I have a feeling that based on age and performance, GMan is going to request Smitty take a paycut...Smitty will refuse...and then Smitty will be a Cap casualty.

#59 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

If you look at Smitty's production and compare it to his salary, he is underperforming. Gettlemen is  not aftraid of getting rid of Steve Smith.  He has done it before in NY.

I wonder what JR would say about it? 

#60 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

If you look at Smitty's production and compare it to his salary, he is underperforming. Gettlemen is not aftraid of getting rid of Steve Smith. He has done it before in NY.

I wonder what JR would say about it?

I think JR wants Super Bowl plus loyalty screwed panthers big time. JR is a businessman and I don't think he will cry at night if Smitty is cut. He 'll probably send him a pie chart as explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com