Gabeking

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Per purring on person's personal Persian cats

#43 Gabeking

Gabeking

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Gettleman's balls may be bigger than some will be comfortable with.

yeah but can he find those balls?

6cd70fdcc29930d4c940c1e8f1a14b3e.gif

#44 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

No brainer move, everyone knew this was coming.

Hopefully having a lot of character guys will pay off and we can create significant space.

#45 Panthers111

Panthers111

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Guaranteed 3 seasons with the team according to whom? I would argue that he is ONLY guaranteed 2014. We may take a hit if we cut him next year but we can minimize it with a June 1 designation. Both Deangelo and Stewart should be worried if they wanted to play here the next few seasons. They will have to give up something to ensure that they have an opportunity. Stewart has been here for 6 seasons (holy poo that makes me feel old) and likely now has roots here. Even if he took a paycut, he knows he can stay, he knows his value with us will be higher than with any other team, and he can still have first crack at the starting lineup. That's a sweet deal in my eyes. Or he can take his bonus and scramble for a mediocre contract with a team looking to take a chance on a (going on) 27 year old runningback with ankle issues that has hardly played in over a year. Not ideal for him, and if I were his agent I would advise him of that.

That is more of a reason not to take a paycut. No one pays a RB top money in their late 20s. Most RBs life cycle ends at 30.

He is going to be 27 after 2014 and going on 28. He doesn't really need to worry about giving back money in hopes of playing longer. He has maybe 3-4 years left. Less if he keeps getting hurt. 

#46 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!
HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

I would hate to see Steve Smith in another jersey, if by some chance they decide to part ways with him, I hope he retires immediately as a  Panther.

#47 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

can't wait to see what gman comes up with.

maybe that excruciating gman_was_right guy from half a decade ago was something of a prophet after all

#48 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationShelby
HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

yeah but can he find those balls?

6cd70fdcc29930d4c940c1e8f1a14b3e.gif

They have interns to do that.

#49 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

I hope Gettlemen doesn't continue to Hurney these deals.....he did last year. We just need to take it on the chin with some and move on

#50 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Stewart's incentive to take a paycut will come from the fact that if he does so we can possibly guarantee his future here at a higher number than other teams would pay for a longer period of time instead of guarantee 1-2 years and definitively guarantee that he is cut right after that. He will never see a contract like that again, he isn't getting any younger, and he still hasn't shown his worth for the contract we gave him. So if he helps us out with the cap, we can offer him more time with the team, more money than other teams will offer him while he is here, he gets to stay and play with his teammates, and he won't have to sweat his immediate future nearly as bad. I've seen situations like this happen with other players before. If he is a team player and wants to help the organization get better and have a chance at a Super Bowl, then he needs to do it. It's a question of how much would you give up to get a ring?

Stewart is personally in a great situation...... Carolina not so much. He has little reason to do anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users