If Smitty is "evaluated" and not on this team next yearn

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#141 Fan01

Fan01

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

I am surprised as well. His cap hit is 7 million and his dead cap hit is 9 million which means that even as a June 1 cut it would cost 5.5 million to cut him this year and 3.5 next year. Surely he is worth 1.5 million. I bet they are looking for a restructure with voidable years or at least some changes to account for his surrent value. I cant see a cut unless he refuses to make any changes. It will be Smitty making the choice by whether he wants to be here or not and try for the Hall of Fame. Or if he thinks he can get the money elsewhere. I think Smitty wants to be here but also is tight about his money. He could go either way but I hope he considers an incentive restructure with voidable years if he doesn't reach certain levels. Fair for both parties.

Finally, someone looked at the contract numbers.  

Is Steve Smith worth a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal?  Because that's the difference between cutting him now and next year. 

Cutting him this year cost 9 million in dead cap.  

Keeping him this year cost of 7 million and cutting him next year cost 6 in dead money.  Which = 4 million.

I love Smitty and when he retires it'll be as a Panther.  I think he'll end up restructuring.  It's be a different world without Smith.  Without him or Gross I worry about the Vet leadership on this team on offense. 

#142 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationEasley, SC
HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Yes, Steve is the best receiver on our team. And that is our problem. A 5'9" 35 year old is our best receiver. Need we say more. He is no longer a #1 receiver...not a successful one anyway. How can we compete with this scenario? We can't! We play in a division that has Julio, roddy white, Vincent Jackson and all the saint receivers...we pull up with Steve smith...we can't continue to improve our position in the league with our current receiver line up. If we want to get more mileage out of Steve he must be moved to the slot position. We need to bring in a big, quick sure handed receiver at the number one . Our complementary receivers and plenty good enough at #3... Don't forget the possibility that mcnutt and king are promising emerging players. Please don't get me wrong steve smith is one of my favorites. But sometimes you have to face reality and be proactive. Our goal is a championship right... Continuous team improvement is the only way.

agreed, in the slot his production goes up.

#143 Guest_Irv_*

Guest_Irv_*
Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

gotta love the off-season freakouts

#144 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• LocationLexington, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

Ok, the thing is the Panthers don't want to give him his option bonus. However the only way to avoid the non-exercise fee is either renegoting a completely new contract or cutting him. If they do the bonus he gets extra money and a year added to his deal. If they do the fee his cap hit goes up more the next two seasons.

That's why this is a story and has some validity to it.

#145 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

gotta love the off-season freakouts

683992309884771.jpg 

#146 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

10 pages later and there's still a chance Smitty actually gets cut?  lool oookay

#147 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ginn was the best deep threat on the team last season.

Ginn isn't under contract.

#148 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• LocationWinston-Salem
HUDDLER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Ginn isn't under contract.

He should be a be retained. At least for the right money.

#149 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

We had a new OC and a re-dedication to the run game. We had more viable options for Cam who did a lot better job of spreading the ball around. Cam threw for 500 less yards than last season on 12 less attempts.

It's ridiculous to say the only cause for the dip in stats was because he's lost a step. I would bet anything I own that if Chud came back Steve would be right back over 1000 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/p...455/careerstats

#150 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

He should be a be retained. At least for the right money.

Should be/right money.

What else you got?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users