Photo
- - - - -

Over The Cap weighs in on Hardy FT, Smitty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#37 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Don't apologize. The whole point of this boar is for people to talk about the Panthers and share their opinions. They're not always gonna be the same and people won't always agree blindly with the direction the team is headed for better or worse.

I know just don't want to come across as a whiner! I'm very passionate about the panthers sometimes gets the better of me.

#38 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Rework Steve Smith's deal, and keep it moving.

#39 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Gettleman made the right decision.

#40 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Y'all have much more faith in the fat fuger than I do.

#41 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

This response says a lot.

#42 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

This response says a lot.

I'm not a gettleman fan, and as you know I don't give a fug who thinks otherwise. I remember everyone was excited when we resigned Stewart. Now it's the same situation at DE. He's put a lot of picks and money into that dline, I hope they can stay on the field and block for Cam.

Not to mention the Steve Smith situation. Don't forget he's the only WR that even played last year under contract. So you want to send Cam into 2014 with a make shift oline and 0 weapons, fantastic. He's got some work to do and blaming hurney needs to stop because he's digging his own ditch right now.

#43 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hardy is staying and 89 need to learn that hes not young anymore.

Also, Gman could go DBs heavy in the draft.

I give you pie, except I'm not sure on Hardy. But we'll see

#44 catnip

catnip

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Gettleman used the only option he had with Hardy. He bought some time and now its up to Hardy to see if he stays on a long term deal, is traded to another team, or just walks like Peppers. You can't get too close to one player if your Gettleman. Its a team game and he has to put the interest of the team first. He will make the best decision for the team and not for Hardy or Smitty. Smitty is the best WR we ever had and I would hate to see him leave, but again whatever is best for the team. I hated to see Delhome leave but it was best at the time.

#45 Gabeking

Gabeking

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Cuz you're a dumbass

#46 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

The only thing you've proven is that you're always wrong, and a complete and utter dumbass.

#47 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

The wisdom of this move is lost in the numbers and the writer's inability to analyze all possible future scenarios.  For example, what if Hardy has 9 sacks in 2014?  What if CJ restructures his deal?  Smitty drops about $3 million off his cap figure?  I think there is about $10m to be found by looking into those situations.

The OL concerns me.  When I read articles about Bell playing LT because he is left handed, I get very concerned.

and what if flowers bloom out of your ass??? seriously though CJ already restructured last year, doubtful that he doest that two years in a row, also smith is late in his career knowing that it would basically cost the Panthers more to cut him and they probably wont on top of that(not this season anyway).

where are either of these players incentives to restructure? there isnt one, only way they might be able to do it with Smith would be to bascially guarantee his contract and drop the figure by a bit but even then do you really want to do that?

#48 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

and what if flowers bloom out of your ass??? seriously though CJ already restructured last year, doubtful that he doest that two years in a row, also smith is late in his career knowing that it would basically cost the Panthers more to cut him and they probably wont on top of that(not this season anyway).

where are either of these players incentives to restructure? there isnt one, only way they might be able to do it with Smith would be to bascially guarantee his contract and drop the figure by a bit but even then do you really want to do that?

Kalil just restructured for the second year in a row-it happens a lot.  It is not a disadvantage for a player to restructure--just more guaranteed money in most cases to players who are pretty certain to perform.

Long term, the Panthers save a lot by cutting Smitty--and Smitty stands to lose a lot by not agreeing to a new deal. 

There is an article by Over the Cap . com that addresses all of your concerns. It gives many reasons it would be in Smitty's best interest to restructure.  It also suggests that he doesn't have to, but if he doesn't, there is (another source-Bill Voth twitter) about a 70% chance he won't be here in 2014).  No flowers, just commonly accepted projections.