#31 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,108 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

The people who say with disdain and disgust: "It's appearing on Fox? Their viewers don't know any science!" And I simply reply, "If true, that makes Fox the best network of them all on which to air this series."

I simply juxtaposed the notion of a science-based production such as "Cosmos" on a network owned by a person who's personal political agenda is on clear display with his flagship "Fox News." There has never been a show of this type on Fox tat I'm aware of and I found it ironic that Fox and NatGeo were simulcasting the same project.

And that was met with the expected responses like, "You're a fugging idiot." or "Get out of my thread..."

#32 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

wow this thread was more interesting than the show...hope it gets better.

#33 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,704 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

I simply juxtaposed the notion of a science-based production such as "Cosmos" on a network owned by a person who's personal political agenda is on clear display with his flagship "Fox News." There has never been a show of this type on Fox tat I'm aware of and I found it ironic that Fox and NatGeo were simulcasting the same project.

And that was met with the expected responses like, "You're a fugging idiot." or "Get out of my thread..."

Because you are and you need to. Acting as if he had any say in this at all or if they were only running his agenda then why the fug would they make the show at all? But I ignore facts. Riiiight

You are being intentionally ignorant because of your own bias that has no real merit

#34 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Because you are and you need to. Acting as if he had any say in this at all or if they were only running his agenda then why the fug would they make the show at all? But I ignore facts. Riiiight

You are being intentionally ignorant because of your own bias that has no real merit

Just stop.

Your mom's calling. She wants you to finish your homework on reading comprehension before you go outside to play. 

#35 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,704 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Just stop.

Your mom's calling. She wants you to finish your homework on reading comprehension before you go outside to play.

Lol really? That's what you are going with?

#36 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Was age-appropriate given your "Get out of my thread...."

Just take your ball and go home....

#37 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Can we stop the dick measuring and whining and start the discussion of science and the show yet?

#38 332nd

332nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Can we stop the dick measuring and whining and start the discussion of science and the show yet?

Seriously though, I thought it was fantastic. Really following the spirit of the original.

#39 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

The science of dick measuring.....cheating, but I'll allow it.

Well played. (I completely forgot this episode ever existed. South Park is so awesome).

#40 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,704 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

That's why I made the thread. You have ignorant assholes here though that just like to troll for no reason though

#41 332nd

332nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

The thing that really made the original great imo, was that Sagan was able to communicate complex science theories/discoveries in a way to give someone  unfamiliar with the concept a good overview. This allowed the person to have a decent jumping off point if he/she found something that they were really interested in and wanted to find out more. (It's what started me in amateur astronomy.) Also, he was able to do all of that without giving the feeling that he was talking down to you. It was more of a "Hey, this is awesome check it out!" Kind of a sense of wonder.

Tyson has that same ability. Not quite on Sagan's level, but he has it. Couple that with reusing a lot of concepts from the original, (the calender, for example) &  the advances in science & CGI, give an amazing picture. (I literally froze up for a second when that had that shot from inside the Great Red Spot.)

There were a few Sci-fi tropes, (asteroids so close together, the "whoosh" when they passed something) & the part about Bruno was a bit vague, (His scientific hypothesis wasn't the reason he was killed, yes I know they tried to make that clear but a lot of people seem to have missed it.)

#42 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

Finally got to see it tonight and now more than ever I firmly believe that we lost out by never putting Sagan in complete control of NASA and that mistake will be compounded if we don't give that job to Tyson.

He manages to inspire in the same way that Carl did.  With a passion not just for the science itself but an equal passion for sharing it in a way that doesn't alienate the viewer.

Really jacked up to watch the rest of these.

#43 332nd

332nd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

Finally got to see it tonight and now more than ever I firmly believe that we lost out by never putting Sagan in complete control of NASA and that mistake will be compounded if we don't give that job to Tyson.

He manages to inspire in the same way that Carl did.  With a passion not just for the science itself but an equal passion for sharing it in a way that doesn't alienate the viewer.

Really jacked up to watch the rest of these.

Back in 2000-2001, my dad said that if Sagan had been in charge of NASA, "I'm 99% sure we'd have a base on the Moon, & 55-60% sure we would've set foot on Mars by now."

#44 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

The Josh McRoberts of Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

I loved the show and it's ambition. I just hope it gets through to the people that really need it to widen their world perspective.

#45 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

I loved the show and it's ambition. I just hope it gets through to the people that really need it to widen their world perspective.

Well, a mantra of education is "if you reach 1, it's a victory". So, going on that and the ratings for the first episode, I'd say it would have to at least get through to 1/4 of the viewership, which is a pretty big deal. The US has a largely scientifically illiterate culture, so to get over 10 million viewers, only a small portion of that were already knowledgeable of the content beforehand. Which means that the vast majority watching didn't really grasp the concepts beforehand, which means that I think we can assume some perspectives were widened.

The show can only build from here. It laid a good, broad foundation. I hope it explores these things more in-depth over the course of the series. It's cool to give the awesome visuals and flowery, grasping language to go with it, but you have to give some actual science education. Not too much as to bore the average viewer, but enough to make people go "hey, I learned something here". 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com