Photo
- - - - -

Capologists! Answer me! Is 7 mil all the money we have now?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

My goodness! I was reading this guy on BR breaking down our cap situation after signing Gano and tagging Hardy, and he said  (per Joe Person) that all we have right now is 7 mil. 

What in the hell are we gonna do with that? If we are going to get a solid veteran replacement at LT to keep Cam on his feet, we have to axe someone else. What in the hell? And we haven't even locked down Mitchell and Ginn. 

Is 7 mil all we have heading into free agency? Reality check time!

With the restructured contracts and Hardy only tied up for one year, the Panthers will most likely remain rather quiet once free agency opens.

The Panthers will sign players to fill holes, but not the likes of headline wideout Hakeem Nicks or safety Jairus Byrd.

Two interesting players that could be cap-friendly and a good fit for the Panthers are wide receiver James Jones and cornerback Tarell Brown.

#2 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,555 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

That's consistent with what we've heard all along.

We knew Hardy was going to eat up all the current space.

#3 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 6,060 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Oh lawd

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,357 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

We might spend a bit after all

http://profootballta...illion-in-2016/

#5 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Well, hopefully it's not going to stay this way...but right now...at this very moment...we're fuged! 

#6 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

...still think Smitty will be around?

#7 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Last year at this point the we had $936,000 http://www.nfl.com/n...r-each-nfl-team

Do you not remember that? Why are you panicking about this?

#8 NFLFangirl19

NFLFangirl19

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

As I right now that is the case. Obviously after guys like Lafell and maybe Godfrey are cut & then some restructuring is done that # will grow but not by too much. We'll be able to a little something in FA.

#9 CelticCat

CelticCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Well about 4 mill of that has to go to rookies so that leaves about 3. Its all monopoly money anyway, Hardy will sign a long term deal to reduce his cap and others will restructure. Basically its about the draft and getting solid guys for cheap 1 year deals. I can see us possibly making 1 decent FA signing at LT somehow. 

#10 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

As I right now that is the case. Obviously after guys like Lafell and maybe Godfrey are cut & then some restructuring is done that # will grow but not by too much. We'll be able to a little something in FA.

LaFell is a FA. We will not recoup cap space for him since he is not under contract.

#11 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Last year at this point the we had $936,000 http://www.nfl.com/n...r-each-nfl-team

Do you not remember that?

I remember us letting some people go too.  This year when you take into account who we have yet to sign vs who we have to slice and dice, we're running on fumes.  Some key people have got to go, and we're going to have to bring in some more question marks.

Tagging Hardy blew our cap room all up. now we can hardly fake it.

#12 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

And that is without having a LT and only 2 WRs on the roster. He has his work cut out

#13 NFLFangirl19

NFLFangirl19

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

LaFell is a FA. We will not recoup cap space for him since he is not under contract.

oops! I know he's an FA. I kept ppl say we could get something back for letting him go after the season ended but i guess they jus meant SAVE $$. But I know for sure we would recoup 2-5 mill for a Godfrey release depending on when it gets done

#14 CelticCat

CelticCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

We might spend a bit after all

http://profootballta...illion-in-2016/

Not surprising, pretty soon half the league is going to be forking out 20 mill for their starting QB's.

The new draft system helps some but when FA comes around contracts are still getting bigger and bigger.

Kinda shocked what Jackson just signed for, was he just that happy to get out of Cleve to a contender because his agent should be shot.

#15 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Let's see, Godfrey has yet to be cut, Olsen and CJ have yet to restructure and Hardy's deal is yet to be finished...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.