#1 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

So, with the signings of Underwood and Crotchery, we can assume that Gettleman is getting focused on taking a true hog molly in the first round, and later rounds, of the NFL Draft. Here's a list of who I think will be potential candidates in each round that we would be wise to look at, and have a real chance at drafting.

FIRST ROUND

Xavier Su'a-Filo - OG - UCLA

Su'a-Filo is a man beast. He's one of the best OG prospects in a long, long time. I think, personally, he's even better than what Chance Warmack was at this point, last season. There is literally no concern, to me, about Su'a-Filo at the next level. He's a guy you plug in at LG day one, and immediately get an impact from for the next seven-ten seasons. Some people have even regarded him as the next Steve Hutchinson.

Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia

I'm not a fan of Moses as most have probably seen by my posts. I think that he's a RT in the NFL, because he doesn't have the finesse to recover from getting beat on the left side. However, Moses is prototypical as far as size, strength, measurables go. He's an absolute monster to look at. Also, there's some obvious interest from the Panthers, seeing as we brought him in for a private visit. Keep an eye on Moses at the end of the first.

Gabe Jackson - OG/OT - Mississippi State

When you think of the word "nasty" for an offensive lineman, you should think of Gabe Jackson. He literally has more aggression than anyone I've seen on the line in a long, long time. It's almost Steve Smith-esque. Sometimes, however, he can't control it, and it gets him into a lot of trouble, over-pursuing, losing his man, etc. There is some questions about whether Jackson is a LG, RG, or RT, but he is a mauler who could immediately change the team's right game. Think Larry Worford, but better.

SECOND ROUND

Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson

Brandon Thomas could be a huge find in the second round. I've seen some people say that he's going to need to kick inside at guard at the next level, but I truly believe he is going to be a LT in the NFL, and an awesome one at that. It might take a season of learning and conditioning, maybe swinging him over to RT in his rookie year, but there will come a time when he's one of the top 15 best OTs in the NFL.

Billy Turner - OT - North Dakota State

Billy Turner might be my favorite player in this entire draft, other than Jordan Matthews. Turner played for North Dakota State, really giving everything he had for a program that has become a dominate force in non-BCS college football. He's got great footwork, being able to stay in front of even the very best pass rushers. His work at the Combine was fluid and awesome to watch. Oh, and his brother was drafted by the Giants...

Jack Mewhort - OT - Ohio State

Mewhort is looking like he's going to be a better fit at RT than he is anything else. He's got a lot of power, but he's not very athletic. He comes off the ball strong, and with force, but he also stays high and can get beat around the corner. I think that he would be an immediate upgrade over Byron Bell, and could even play some RG if we actually needed him to (considering the whole Nate Chandler situation, that might not be a bad idea).

THIRD ROUND

Joel Bitonio - OT - Nevada

Zod already did an excellent piece on Bitonio, and there's already a ton of discussion on him on the Draft board. There's a lot to like about him, his size, his Combine stats, the whole deal. But, he does seem to have short arms, which could explain why there is times when he can't do anything once the guy in front of him makes a solid move. I think that Bitonio could be a very solid player, seeing play time immediately and into the future.

JaWuan James - OT - Tennessee

James is a monster of a man (6'6 / 315 lbs), and he looks every bit of it. When he comes off the snap, people across from his know it. He's another of the mid-round guys who have the physical size, but translate more as a RT than a LT. Do I think he's better than Bell right now? Yes, I do. I also think his 37 consecutive starts at tackle in college should not be overlooked, especially for someone considering his size (and our troubles with a guy like Otah).

Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman

A local prospect that compares to another local prospect, Jonathon Cooper. Their both similar size and build and have a tendency to lose their footwork off the line. In fact, I would say that Dozier could be almost identical to Cooper in time. But, that's what it's going to take. After dominating at Furman, it's hard to say how his game will hold up in the NFL, so proper training and coaching will be mandatory.

FOURTH ROUND

James Hurst - OT - UNC

Breaking his leg really set Hurst back, because if it wasn't for that, he could've been a 2nd round pick. He has the ability to be a franchise LT, shutting down Clowney in the season opener this past year. It was actually during that game that the effort questions started popping up, because Clowney looked gassed. I think that it might take him a season to get back to where he was, but he'll be there, and he'll be a very, very good player.

Cyrus Kouandjio - OT - Alabama

It's really anyone's guess as to where Cyrus actually goes, but I think it'll be the 4th-5th range. He has the ability to be a dominate player in the NFL, but concerns about an arthritic knee are going to send him on a free fall. We've actually seen the arthritic knee scenario play out recently, with Bowers from Clemson. While there was no short-term effects, Bowers is now in a position where he can't keep up, only three years into his pro career.

FIFTH ROUND

Trai Turner - OG - LSU

A very young RG who decided to forego two years of eligibility to enter the Draft. He's going the body and frame to really grow into something special. He's already played against elite talent in the SEC, along with playing in a Cam Cameron NFL-style offense, so it's possible that he could come in immediately and really get to work. The one glaring negative is that Turner is horrible in pass coverage, so you have to put him where he'll succeed, at the right side.

Charles Leno - OT - Boise State

A guy who came into Boise as a little known recruit, but filled the shoes of Nate Potter the second Potter entered the Draft. I don't think that Leno is even close to being ready for the NFL. His next couple seasons will be better spent on either special teams units or on the practice squad, but it's likely that Leno will eventually be an NFL starter, given the proper coaching and conditioning.

SIXTH ROUND

Seantrel Henderson - OT - Miamia

Henderson is a mammoth human being. Measuring in at 6'7 / 340 lbs., he's a physical monster. But, like the player he compares most to, Mount McKinnie, at times Henderson lets his size get the best of him and doesn't know what to do with it. It's hard to say if Henderson could ever be a LT, because of his size and technique, but he could eventually make a serviceable RT, in the vein of what Byron Bell has given us.

SEVENTH ROUND

Wesley Johnson - OT - Vanderbilt

As mentioned before, I'm a huge fan of Jordan Matthews. So, after watching a number of Matthews' games, I noticed Wesley Johnson, a definite diamond-in-the-rough type player. Honestly, Johnson could end up being very similar to Lane Johnson. A multiple sport, highly recruiter athlete, Johnson is seen as "too lean" or "too narrow" to be a true NFL LT, but I think he could very easily fill that spot in another season. He might could even contribute his rookie year.

#2 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,568 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hurst in the second, WR/TE in the first and third.

#3 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hurst in the second, WR/TE in the first and third.

Taking Hurst in the 2nd would be WAAAAAAY over-drafting the guy. I'm talking by rounds. 

#4 Guest_shitposting_*

Guest_shitposting_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Taking Hurst in the 2nd would be WAAAAAAY over-drafting the guy. I'm talking by rounds. 

I have that feeling that by the end of the third a run will have happened. I think the second is our best bet at a tackle.

#5 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,433 posts

Dont think any of them are worth a first, but many are worth a second

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,568 posts
  • LocationNC

Meh, disagree. He was a 1st round talent before he broke his leg, his leg is recovering nicely and will be ready to go for his pro day. Franchise LT, I'd spend a second on him all day long.

#7 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

Meh, disagree. He was a 1st round talent before he broke his leg, his leg is recovering nicely and will be ready to go for his pro day. Franchise LT, I'd spend a second on him all day long.

I'm not saying it's a talent thing, especially if you would've read the blurb about him. But, Hurst is in a situation where his stock fell. And fell hard. I would rather have Billy Turner in the 2nd, than Hurst in the state he is in now.

I'll say that Hurst will still be there when we select in the 3rd. I'd be willing to bet on it.

#8 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,568 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm not saying it's a talent thing, especially if you would've read the blurb about him. But, Hurst is in a situation where his stock fell. And fell hard. I would rather have Billy Turner in the 2nd, than Hurst in the state he is in now.

I'll say that Hurst will still be there when we select in the 3rd. I'd be willing to bet on it.

It'll depend on his pro day performance.

#9 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,516 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

i think Hurst was a 3rd-4th rounder before the injury.

at times Moses looks like a stud, but at times he looks like stiff blow up doll. he hardly gets beat for sacks and pressures, but he just bends at the waist so much. he does get up to the next level really well, and once he gets his hands on you, you are not getting away from him. i think he could come in and compete at one of the OT spots early.

one name you didnt mention was Cameron Fleming, OT Stanford.  huge RT only, that has played on Stanford power running OL for 2-3 years. very slow feet, and is on the ground maybe 2-3 times a game. but still moves guys in run blocking.

James is a stud.

#10 KDawg004

KDawg004

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

What about Tiny Richardson? Another player I really like late in the draft is Brandon Linder.

#11 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,145 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Cyrus is first round talent this knee thing so WAY over blown

#12 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Cyrus is first round talent this knee thing so WAY over blown

Pretty sure the same thing was said about Otah after he hurt his knee. 

#13 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,145 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Pretty sure the same thing was said about Otah after he hurt his knee.

I'd love to see a link saying with 100% accuracy he had an arthritic knee. Can you show me that?

#14 Ruff

Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 6,316 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'd love to see a link saying with 100% accuracy he had an arthritic knee. Can you show me that?

http://www.nfl.com/n...cals-at-combine

He met with the media a day after most of the offensive linemen in attendance held press sessions, which can often signal a snag in the medical evaluation. His arthritic knee is reportedly linked to a failed surgery.
http://www.cbssports...failed-physical

Literally the first two links on google.

#15 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,145 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...cals-at-combine
- http://www.cbssports...failed-physical

Literally the first two links on google.

http://mweb.cbssport...kouandjios-knee

From dr. James Andrews the most well respected knee surgeon on the planet.

So about that 100% accuracy I asked for...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.