Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

This time Rivera talking generally on PFT. Reading the tea leaves: Don't look for much change offensively.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

OK, guys, nothing really new (same theme as Olsen), but he did say that as for as our WRs go, "We have to basically replace 10 catches by the wide receiver position," making reference to the fact that we rushed for over 100 yards in 15 of 16 games. 'We've got to find guys that can catch the ball those 10 times to be able to do what we did last year."

Sounds like Shula's offense is going to be implemented in full force.   :phew:  

animated-msn-big-grin-smiley-emoticon.gi  Oh, goody.  

I wonder if those rushing totals that he is referencing include Newton's yardage.

#2 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

6-10

#3 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have no problem with adding hog mollies and getting better in the run game. Plus better protection won't hurt the passing game

#4 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Strengthen that OLine. The O will work.

#5 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

If we can run the ball down someone's throat, I'm all for it. If we can't, then we need the will and the weapons to make an adjustment.  

I just don't want to run into the pile a couple of times, throw an incompletion and punt for the preponderance of possessions each game.

#6 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

6-10

It's nice to see such positive fans like yourself on the huddle. 

#7 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

I hate when it is referenced we rushes for 100+ yards in 15 games.

That makes it sound like we rush the ball well. It was just Cam largely making something weak look good on a stat sheet

#8 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Sorry about the double post. Aahh that search function. Mods, perhaps you can merge.

#9 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

That makes it sound like we rush the ball well. It was just Cam largely making something weak look good on a stat sheet

If he believes that without taking into account Cam's production, then we may be able to duplicate last year's success, or something like it. But that's all.  

To me, he's a little delusional, or is trying to make us feel better by selling us snake oil.

#10 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,417 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Yep and most of Cam's scrambles come once the play is broken down and he makes something happen.

If you minus Cam's rushing yards, Carolina's running backs combined to rush for over 100 yards just 4 times (including playoff game).

Lafell brought the total to over 100 in the Minnesota game so I didn't count it because I only included the running backs.

#11 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Why not change it if you can't fuging score.

#12 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,417 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

And I'd hope they want to do more than just replace the production from last year. The WR's weren't good enough last year, they better find people that can top that production or I don't see how this team goes any further than they did last year.

#13 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I have no problem with adding hog mollies and getting better in the run game. Plus better protection won't hurt the passing game

The only thing is that Rivera made no mention of the O-line.  I was just conjecturing due to his answers, but so there is no confusion I took the hog molly reference out of the OP.

I would have thought that if this is the case, then we would have perhaps given some of the veteran FA O-linemen more play than we have thus far (which is none), but perhaps the organization has a much stronger opinion of who we have, or who they will be able to draft than many fans.  

On this note, they had better draft JaWuan James.

#14 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

He is simply (and foolishly) trying to defend the Smitty cut decision.  I am pretty sure our goal is not to match last season's offensive productivity. 

#15 Guest_Dark Knight_*

Guest_Dark Knight_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

A run heavy offense compliments our dominant defense. A pass happy offense will wear them out, whether it's because we're scoring quickly or having a bad day.

Seattle's offense was just as conservative, if not more, than ours. They played the most prolific offense & QB in NFL history in the Super Bowl. And they beat the ever living dog poo out of them.

Leave the pass happy poo for fantasy football. Beef up that o-line & watch D-Will, Stewart, Tolbert, & Newton run a train thru everybody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com