Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

"...89 was a football decision....compared it to Babe Ruth being cut..."

and look what Boston went through for the next 86 years or whatever it was....

#92 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,547 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

I already said earlier that the prorated bonus slipped my mind. You could also add a roster bonus next season instead of an up front signing bonus, but again that's less enticing.

I'm also not sure we could restructure this upcoming year's salary with respect to a large signing bonus. Maybe they can be adjusted now that we're entering year 4, but it was my understanding that these rookie deals were non-negotiable aside from the option and extension.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

They aren't negotiable until after year 3 which ended when this season began in March so yes we can renegotiate but I don't know why we should.  Particularly in light of his ankle surgery which everyone says went well with no problems but didn't they say the same thing about Stewart last year?

So yes we can do a restructure which would give him a large signing bonus and essentially reduce his salary to the vet minimum for this year since he got a huge signing bonus.  You could likely reduce his cap hit to no more than the 7.5 million he counts this year.  But it makes no sense to do that.  If we pick up his option for a fifth year we have next year to renegotiate after settling the CJ issue and Hardy contract.  Then we can start working on the Kuechly deal for the following year.  

Extending Cam now works for him but not really for us.  And trust me he is going to be paid a ton of money whether it is this year or next.

#93 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,589 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

I'm not a Cam hater by any means but I must ask, why? serious question! everyone "thinks" this but what is it based on?

He's improved every year and had a breakout last year in terms of leadership and maturity. He knows, like everyone else, that Smith was ushered out in order to give him the reigns. There's no reason to think he isn't ready.

#94 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,523 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Particularly in light of his ankle surgery which everyone says went well with no problems but didn't they say the same thing about Stewart last year?

2 completely different situations and people. Stewart has had bad feet/ ankles and missed numerous games compared to Cam who has played thru it. this surgery will not be used in contract talks.

#95 MV%doe

MV%doe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

glad dave has a plan and is working that plan.

#96 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,535 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Not coming to terms with Cam this offseason will be a big mistake.

disagree. There is plenty of time.

#97 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,547 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

2 completely different situations and people. Stewart has had bad feet/ ankles and missed numerous games compared to Cam who has played thru it. this surgery will not be used in contract talks.

Why take the chance when you can let him play this year and see what happens.  No one is saying that the situations are the same simply that you don't pay someone 100 million dollars with a third of it guaranteed until you are sure he is 100% and you need to do it.  There is no hurry to pay him before next year.

#98 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,535 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

You can keep dreaming about that. He and his agent will and should go for the max because the CBA screwed his class and the following rookies. Cam made almost 50 million dollar less than Sam Bradford in his first years, and you think that his agent will play nice.

yes, they got screwed for being forced to take less than veterans at their same positions, and having their entire contract guaranteed.

Lol

#99 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Stewart had both of his ankles scoped.

Not sure why anyone would even mention that in regards to Cam. Not the same situation, at all.

#100 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,366 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

"...89 was a football decision....compared it to Babe Ruth being cut..."

and look what Boston went through for the next 86 years or whatever it was....

As a Red Sox fan....stfu

#101 DanTheMan

DanTheMan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

What??? He neglected to apologize to huddlers for placing fear in our hearts? You are going to tell me that he not once mentioned that he came to these forums for advice on how to run the team??? Who does this clown think he is??

FUG DG!!!! HE HATES THE PANTHERS!!

lolololol

#102 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,523 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Why take the chance when you can let him play this year and see what happens.  No one is saying that the situations are the same simply that you don't pay someone 100 million dollars with a third of it guaranteed until you are sure he is 100% and you need to do it.  There is no hurry to pay him before next year.

take a chance on what? you pretty much compared Stewarts ankle to Cams, and since he continues to have problems, the other guy will. you do pay someone, if he is your franchise QB. 5th year option should be used in order to get the long term contract done.

#103 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I do not think locking down a franchise qb is unwise.

Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, Oakland---All have fairly talented rosters but lack a qb.  All were in the NFL basement. 

it will still keep us in perpetual bargain hunting mode.

#104 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,366 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

What do we do? Start over?

#105 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,020 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

once the Hurneymagic is purged, that will not be the case.

The more you post the more it makes me think you are Hurney.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com