I've been thinking about what a "good" FA period for us would look like prior to the draft. So I looked at this list of available FAs, and I'm going to say that these guys will not be signing mega deals at all. These will be more 1 year, value deals.
Oh, and a side note: I think the draft had an effect on the FA numbers. Notice how many WRs hit the bank? Interestingly, there were a lot of linemen locked up to big time deals when we have a deep OL draft... Or really how deep is it? Hrm...
So for us:
Those are just some crazy ideas I pulled out of thin air. But I don't see any budget breakers. The only place where I have real concern is the OT. Which makes me think that we're either 1. Starting a Rookie, 2. Going to find a way to maximize a lesser player with scheme.
- OT - Someone like a Michael Oher because he has the physical ability and a possible coaching change may do him wonders. Other guys with names who are OL:
- OT - Charles Brown (former Saint who didn't play terribly but was benched for rookie who gave up 4 sacks to Hardy)
- OT -Mike Otto (OK, just pulling a FA name to be honest). The rest is very dry, but then again I'm not a talent scout.
- CB - Tillman (smoke to fire???)
- CB - Captain (find someone willing to give you more than $1 million and they are yours!)
- S - Chris Clemons (someone might overpay
- S - Major Wright (1 year show me deal a la mitchell)
- S - Steve Gregory (someone was trumping him after his release).
- WR - Nicks? Why not right? Match made in heaven on a 1 year prove it. After two crappy years, he's got some image rehab to do.
- WR - Sidney Rice - Hey, same deal as Nicks.
- WR - LaFell - c'mon! He's cheap, and while he wasn't a world beater, he wasn't a scrub,
- WR - Kinny Britt - hey, why not another rehab guy!?
- WR/KR - Jacoby Ford - Shorter Ginn?
- WR/KR - Teddy Ginn - might get something worked out as we were the first team since Miami to allow him to actually play WR.
Some of those signings would be nice, decent list