Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Well, why should Cam get paid peanut while Luck get paid over 20 mil. That's disrespectful.

You can't go by me, heck I don't think Luck should make big bucks yet either.

I just think there is too much gap between guys that make 20-25 million and contributors who are at $900,000 for instance.  I have a hard time thinking they are worth 25-30 times more than their other teammates.

I am a Panthers fan, and I want them to win whether Cam is the QB or not.  Cam is the best Panthers QB ever, and I would love for him to stay a Panther, and sign a contract so the Panthers can continue to build the team.  But, is it even possible to sign Cam to the kind of money he wants/deserves, and still be able to field a competitive team?  And if not, why would Cam be willing to take less to stay a Panther?  

Bottom line is If Cam requires more money than the Panthers are willing to pay, than Cam will go somewhere else to finish his career.  This a business decision, not a personal or emotional decision. 

The worst case scenario is Cam will be the Panthers QB for 2-more years.  He is under contract for 2015, and they can franchise him in 2016. 

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson. 

If you ask yourself what percentage of the overall offensive success is each QB responsible for, Cam Newton comes out well above Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. Cam Newton and his legs are the main reason the Panthers offense had any success at all last season. If not for his ability to stay alive with his physical talents when linemen and linebackers are chasing him, the Panthers would have been ranked dead last in the league. 

In other words, Cam Newton is a huge band-aid holding together an inept offense. Partly due to lack of weapons, partly due to a below average coordinator, the Panthers offense was more of a hindrance than a help in the playoff race. Whatever the reasons for the bad offense, Cam Newton made sure it was at least competitive. 

I'm not saying Cam Newton will get more money. I'm not saying the Panthers will pay more money. 

I'm saying if you look at the situation objectively, Cam and his agent have a serious argument for more. 

I've said this a hundred times or more, so I agree with the point being made:goodjob:

Maybe the guys in ATL feel their QB is better because he gets a lot of money.

NE fans might laugh in their face

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-2014-aaron-rodgers-jay-cutler-matt-schaub

That was my point earlier, a lot of you guys want our QB to make mega bucks because.......

Who wants Cam to make mega bucks?

Some might feel he deserves mega bucks, but I have seen nobody say they will be mad if Cam isn't top paid.

So eager to attack individuals you think are Cam only fans, but in reality there's only 2-3 guys on here who are solely Cam fans.

The Colts without Luck would be worse than the Panthers without Cam 

True dat, we have Derek Anderson.

I don't expect Cam to take less but at the same time I don't expect the team to pay extra because Cam was on some rookie pay scale.

Good teams pay players based on what they can contribute in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Nobody who is realistic has said that Cam and his agent want "more" because of the rookie salary cap.

All we've said is that Cam and his agent will want CURRENT market value.  And that CURRENT market value is likely going to be $20 million per year or more.

So please, go address your statement to the "Cam only should take $16 million per year FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM!!!" people.

Technically, Wilson can say he has a ring too.

(the fact that he earned it as a game manager likely won't be taken into account)

Aaron Rodgers has a Super Bowl ring and an MVP on his resume'. The notion that he'll wind up earning less then a kid whose biggest accomplishment thus far is getting blown out in a conference championship game just makes me shake my head.

Other than the Super Bowl (where his defense and special teams gave him a huge lead), Wilson has not won a road playoff game.

Thats what Seattle fans do not remember

Panthers were 2-0 with a second string QB fueled by conserveative play calls and strong defense.

Doubt INDY could pull a greasy string out of a cats rear without Luck.  Seattle would still compete based on their stellar D

Considering the Bucs also lost to:

Austin Davis

Brian Hoyer

Teddy Bridgewater (1st or 2nd start?)

So I don't really think that strengthens the case.

Considering the Bucs also lost to:

Austin Davis

Brian Hoyer

Teddy Bridgewater (1st or 2nd start?)

So I don't really think that strengthens the case.

Teddy's a poor example

Other than the Super Bowl (where his defense and special teams gave him a huge lead), Wilson has not won a road playoff game.

Since he has only played one and had over 450 yards and put 28 points on the board in that one, I am not sure that stat is very relevant.  Can't really determine what to pay him on something like that.  By comparison, Brady's road record is only 3-3. 

Yes he actually has. Against the Redskins his rookie year...

Since he has only played one and had over 450 yards and put 28 points on the board in that one, I am not sure that stat is very relevant.  Can't really determine what to pay him on something like that.  By comparison, Brady's road record is only 3-3. 

Exactly, home field advantage. Brady has been to the Playoffs 12 times but they're so good in the Reg Season he's only played 6 road games.

If you're the Ravens and other teams called wanting to trade Brees, p Manning or Rivers straight up for Flacco would you do it?

No. Why would they do that. Rivers hasn't won a damn thing and he's 6 years younger than Brees, Manning has a year or two left in him.

Are you serious? Wilson in HIS FIRST POST SEASON START got a road victory.

In his SECOND post season start, he put on one of the most remarkable display of QBing you will ever find on the road.

His defense literally choked (they do this often in tight games) after he gave them the lead with 30 seconds to go.