• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Goondal

How about those RED SOX! Part Deux

Eduardo tweaked his right knee while slipping on a wet mound in Venezuelan winter ball.  They are acting like it is not big deal, but we have been there before with him and that knee.

I would be lying if I said I was no concerned about him pitching in the WBC in a few months.

Well, it appears Dombrowski already wants Pomeranz and Wright to round out the rotation.  I am not thrilled by this news.  Rodriguez-Wright is the best duo.  Rodriguez has the most upside of the three while Pomeranz has bullpen experience.  Wright makes sense as the #5 if for not other reason than we would have four lefties otherwise.  I also prefer ot not have a knuckleball pitcher coming out of the pen.

Regardless of which was they go though, to me it is stupid to announce this now.  Why not see who the best is when we hit camp?

I hope it is not the case, but I am worried that Dombrowski is determined to have Pomeranz in the rotation due to what he gave up to acquire him.  He has certainly had a short leash on other players (which I like) but those were not guys that he acquired at such a high price.

In other Eduardo news, it seems he still wants to pitch in the WBC despite his injury.  I suppose that this is good from the standpoint that he feels he will be ready by then, but I still would prefer he not go.

I'm guessing having Wright and Pomeranz in the rotation will allow them to manage E-Rod's innings to limit injury risk. Could use him as a spot starter.

This is true, but I wonder why announce it?  All three had injury issues last season so it seems that waiting to see how they look would make the most sense.

On the plus side, having such good SP that someone getting left out of the rotation is a disappointment is a good thing.

So, we signed Carlos Quinten this week.  Last appeared in the majors in 2014 and was most recently seen in the Mexican League.  He is a former All-Star that once hit 36 HR but also has struggled with his knees and is thirty-four.  I can think of another former AS with bad knees that ended up in the Mexican League before getting another shot and having a resurgence.  Oh wait, that was Major League.  We have very little depth in  the OF at AAA so I suspect that is all this will be.

Abad decided to take us to arbitration recently, first player to do so since '02 I believe.  As is typical for him, he lost.

Sandoval is much thinner and showed up for camp over a week early so maybe he will be an asset finally.  I am not holding my breath but if he can just be average I will be happy, despite the contract.

Pitchers and Catchers this week!!!

It appears that last year's ill-advised move to LF and the resulting injury has turned Blake Swihart into Rube Baker.  He now struggles when attempting to throw the ball back to the pitcher.

He was already likely to begin in AAA anyway since we have three C and he is the only one with options, but it is still disappointing as I believe he has the most potential.  Dombrowski seems to as well.  At the winter meetings he refused to even discuss Swihart with other teams that saw our surplus at the position as an opportunity.

I suspect that this is easily fixable.  More concerning is that the move to LF cost him almost a whole season of development behind the plate.  Hopefully we do not screw him up the way we screwed up Daniel Bard.

He has four runs of support in four starts.  All that being said, holy crap to I love this guy.  I think he is going to thrive in Boston.  He seems like the anti-Price.

Manny Machado needs to be taken out on slides any chance we get from now until the end of the season.

CGSO from Brian Johnson in 3rd career start. Great story for a guy who has been thru a lot. Hope to finish off the homestand undefeated.

Was just looking at the schedule.  Beginning last Monday with the White Sox the Sox have a twenty-four day stretch with five games at Fenway and only one off day (spent on the road Monday between Baltimore and New York).

The stretch includes road series with Baltimore (already 0-1), New York and Houston.

Then we have an off day followed by a seventeen day stretch with a seven day home stand and then ten straight on the road, then a ASB.

That is six weeks with only twelve games at Fenway and another two off.  That is a bunch of road games.  

If my math is correct we will have played fifty road contests to only thirty-nine at home by the break.  Just staying within three games until that point will have me very confident going into the second half.

In first place to start a ten game road trip (three Toronto and Texas, four Tampa) that will take us into the break.  I really like recent the acquisition of Fister and Peralta is a nice lottery ticket I suppose, but I doubt he is the answer.

The bullpen has been very strong, especially considering Thornburg is gone for the year and Smith has yet to appear.  Hopefully the latter can come in a lock down the eighth because as good as the pen has been I still do not feel completely comfortable.  I just get this bad feeling that at some point in October we will be unable to get to Kimbrel when we need to.

The rotation is still missing something, which is very frustrating at this point.  Sale is outstanding, he is the second or third best pitcher in the game.  We are still missing that solid #2 starter though.  My boy Eduardo seemed to be ready to fill that role but the poor guy cannot catch a break.  I never felt Porcello was as bad as he was two years back or as good as last year, he was somewhere in the middle, which makes him a great three, he is pitching like a four though.  Pom is fine for a five but cannot get the innings.  Finally, bleep Price.

There is talk of our interest in Sonny Gray.  I really hope not.  He has not been great in awhile and gets hurt a lot.  Not worth whatever it will cost.  Also talk that we will be in the market for a 3B, which obviously we all saw coming, so I suspect we will be making a deal.  I really hope Dombrowski does not give up Devers though.  I have no problem giving up a prospect for someone like Sale, but Dombrowski has a history of trading prospects for guys that are not worth it and I am afraid the need at 3B in the short term could cost us a long term answer.