Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thebigcat

Savor this season... Likely the last season of many iconic Panthers

I am excited about the team (everyone at this time of the year thinks they can win it all unless you're a Browns fan). If we get the injury bug out the way early and the team gels, this has the making of a 10-6 team that's DANGEROUS in the playoffs.

With that said, this will be a special season for me as a fan

1) New ownership, new era, now going to be run fan centered and results driven by a self made billionaire instead of a team being run like a mom and pop's

2. Thomas Davis- love him, met him in person several times. Deserves a statue in my opinion, undoubtedly his last season

3. Julius Peppers- the FIRST drafted Panther that I was thrilled as a fan. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer who will go in as a Panther, home grown talent, he deserves his SB ring. Likely his last year

4. Greg Olsen- Though not drafted by Carolina, should he make it to the HOF he'd go in as a Panther. True class gentleman, he and TD are WP MOY recipients. Given he's already doing TV work, easily could be his last year.

5. Ryan Kalil- class guy and the moment we drafted him I remember thinking this position is solidified for the next decade. HOF talent, already has his next career post football lined up. I look forward to hopefully a healthy season for him as he gets to go out on his own terms.

Superbowl predicition

Carolina 27

Pittsburgh 20

11 minutes ago, thebigcat said:

I am excited about the team (everyone at this time of the year thinks they can win it all unless you're a Browns fan). If we get the injury bug out the way early and the team gels, this has the making of a 10-6 team that's DANGEROUS in the playoffs.

With that said, this will be a special season for me as a fan

1) New ownership, new era, now going to be run fan centered and results driven by a self made billionaire instead of a team being run like a mom and pop's

2. Thomas Davis- love him, met him in person several times. Deserves a statue in my opinion, undoubtedly his last season

3. Julius Peppers- the FIRST drafted Panther that I was thrilled as a fan. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer who will go in as a Panther, home grown talent, he deserves his SB ring. Likely his last year

4. Greg Olsen- Though not drafted by Carolina, should he make it to the HOF he'd go in as a Panther. True class gentleman, he and TD are WP MOY recipients. Given he's already doing TV work, easily could be his last year.

5. Ryan Kalil- class guy and the moment we drafted him I remember thinking this position is solidified for the next decade. HOF talent, already has his next career post football lined up. I look forward to hopefully a healthy season for him as he gets to go out on his own terms.

Superbowl predicition

Carolina 27

Pittsburgh 20

I think Olsen comes back for one more. Slight chance Davis does.

Either way, it is going to be tough to replace all those guys.

If we had better coaching particularly on the offensive side, I believe they would've already had 2 rings by now. But we've liked complacency and continuity more than actually trying to be better.

Do not underestimate the impact of these leaders on the others.  We never had solid leadership from name-brand vets before..  As much as I hate to say it, Smitty was not a good veteran leader.  (conflicts with teammates, ran off Dwayne Jarrett (I saw him brutally get in his head at OTAs) . Kris Jenkins was not a great leader-he was a bit of loner-goober head. 

Davis,  Olsen, Cam, Luke, Peppers, KK, Kalil--these guys are leaders.

Yep, gonna be a huge chunk of talent and leadership gone soon, and unfortunately a ho-hum recent draft history.

1 hour ago, thebigcat said:

Just wanted to point out that NFL players don't go into the Hall of Fame for any specific team. Also, Greg has been nominated, but has never been WP MOY.

42 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yep, gonna be a huge chunk of talent and leadership gone soon, and unfortunately a ho-hum recent draft history.

Probably why Richardson's last major move was bringing Hurney back. Hate on him all your want for his blunders but he sure knew how to pick a superstar in the 1st round.

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Probably why Richardson's last major move was bringing Hurney back. Hate on him all your want for his blunders but he sure knew how to pick a superstar in the 1st round.

And miss on most of the others.

That's not how you build a team.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Exactly

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I see a few rebuilding years in the pipeline.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They should hire you for GM. There's no one on the planet who thinks more about the Panthers than you, maybe not even Sir Purr himself.

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

They should hire you for GM. There's no one on the planet who thinks more about the Panthers than you, maybe not even Sir Purr himself.

I wouldn't want the job. Not qualified.

I'd be perfectly happy to make suggestions on who would be, though.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I see a few rebuilding years in the pipeline.

I'm not as certain.

General consensus is that there's going to be some restructuring in the front office, know how extensive that will be nobody knows.

How it will affect the on-field product? Also unknown.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm honestly coming around to the theory that Hurney was hamstrung by Richardson for a while there. Not in total draft/talent evaluation, I think those were all on Hurney, but the lack of signing ANY significant FAs after Ken Lucas and Wahle and pretty much only trying to build through the draft, while not drafting well, and then paying the core of a 2-14 team for being loyal company men has JR written all over it...

Hurney 2.0 has honestly surprised me so far. I'm not 100% on everything he's done, but I really think JR meddled and is the main reason we sucked for a while there, and also, why Gettleman got the boot because he stood up to him.