• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

OldNorthPowell

Should have tanked

Crazy trade rumor I saw...

Pelicans get:  MKG, Frank, Monk, Bridges (or Willy) and 2 first rounders

Hornets get:  Anthony Davis

I would do it hoping Willy goes not Bridges but probably do it anyway.

Edited by Shocker

The Hornets haven't had a single season where they shouldn't have tanked honestly. I mean really, when their best year of the past decade has resulted in maybe hopes of the 2nd round of the playoffs...in the Eastern Conference? 

They're average at best, with a ceiling of average. That's about the worst position to be in in the NBA, especially in a market that won't ever attract a big FA. It sucks, but the only way the Hornets win in the current system is to get lucky once in the lottery, and then draft well for a couple of years in a row. 

8 hours ago, Shocker said:

Crazy trade rumor I saw...

Pelicans get:  MKG, Frank, Monk, Bridges (or Willy) and 2 first rounders

Hornets get:  Anthony Davis

I would do it hoping Willy goes not Bridges but probably do it anyway.

Would love to have Davis, especially since stern hosed us on him to begin with

buts that’s too much to give up

• Pie 1

If we could only throw in 1 first rounded - it's a no brainer.. but tbh - I'd still do it for 2 firsts:

PG - Kemba - Parker - Graham
SG - Lamb - Bacon
SF - Batum - ???
PF - AD - Marvin
C - Biz - Willy (Zeller)

We could then flip a big (willy or Zeller) for a 3-and-D small forward to come off the bench..

• Pie 1

Yeah would absolutely like to keep Bridges and let them have Willy...especially if we give up 2 firsts

PG - Kemba - Parker - Graham
SG - Lamb - Bacon
SF - Batum - Bridges
PF - AD - Marvin
C - Biz - Zeller

Then we'd need to go get a few roster fillers

There is no way we trade for Anthony Davis.  Other teams can offer more and we would have a hard time retaining him even if we pulled it off. 

As far as tanking I have mixed feelings.  We did not do as badly at it last time as many think we did.  We were in great shape after the 2016 season.  We had an emerging star in Kemba and loads of cap space.  Where it went off the rails was when we gave big money contracts to guys like Batum and Marvin.  Never give huge contracts to guys coming off career years, in the final year of their last deal.  We could have let Batum walk and kept Lee for half the money. 

At this point I think the best course is to keep Kemba and ride out the bad contracts.  We have to draft better though no matter what.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, Thelt said:

There is no way we trade for Anthony Davis.  Other teams can offer more and we would have a hard time retaining him even if we pulled it off. 

As far as tanking I have mixed feelings.  We did not do as badly at it last time as many think we did.  We were in great shape after the 2016 season.  We had an emerging star in Kemba and loads of cap space.  Where it went off the rails was when we gave big money contracts to guys like Batum and Marvin.  Never give huge contracts to guys coming off career years, in the final year of their last deal.  We could have let Batum walk and kept Lee for half the money. 

At this point I think the best course is to keep Kemba and ride out the bad contracts.  We have to draft better though no matter what.

kemba is working on a career year in the final yr of his contract

10 hours ago, bull123 said:

kemba is working on a career year in the final yr of his contract

He was already in line for a max deal or close to max deal prior to this season.  It is not the same as it was with Batum. 

I saw this trade for Kevin Love.   Hornets trade Frank, Monk, Biz and a 2019 first rounder.  Thoughts?  Love does have a large contract so there is that.

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

I saw this trade for Kevin Love.   Hornets trade Frank, Monk, Biz and a 2019 first rounder.  Thoughts?  Love does have a large contract so there is that.

Would be a stupid, stupid, stupid deal. Love is washed up and on a big contract.

• Cargos 1

Just now, OldNorthPowell said:

Would be a stupid, stupid, stupid deal. Love is washed up and on a big contract.

I tend to agree...that contract could become a real albatross for them.

• Pie 1

Sorry, I'm fully against tanking. Philadelphia hasn't done squat. Playoff appearances? Whoopidy doo. Milwaukee didn't tank, Houston didn't tank, Golden State didn't tank, you don't have to tank to be good. Bad organizations are bad organizations and with MJ at the helm, we're a bad organization. At some point, we have to help ourselves. 

Don't be so sure about Cleveland getting lucky, they have one of the worst owners in the league in Dan Gilbert. I would not be surprised to see Zion and the other highly touted players pull a Steve Francis. If I were their agents, I would encourage it.

The problem with tanking is that all you really get form it is higher draft picks, maybe a couple of extra picks if you play your cards right.  Draft picks don't mean anything if you can't draft well.  Our last tanking yielded plenty of draft picks, we just did not use them that well.  The jury is still out on a couple of our draft picks but other than Kemba we have not drafted a star player since before the original Hornets left town.

56 minutes ago, SuperBowlBound said:

Sorry, I'm fully against tanking. Philadelphia hasn't done squat. Playoff appearances? Whoopidy doo. Milwaukee didn't tank, Houston didn't tank, Golden State didn't tank, you don't have to tank to be good. Bad organizations are bad organizations and with MJ at the helm, we're a bad organization. At some point, we have to help ourselves. 

Don't be so sure about Cleveland getting lucky, they have one of the worst owners in the league in Dan Gilbert. I would not be surprised to see Zion and the other highly touted players pull a Steve Francis. If I were their agents, I would encourage it.

29 wins got them Curry

26 wins got them notta

36 wins got them klay

Drafted Barnes 7th overall

Green in the 2nd round

They were barely a 30 win team for 4 years in a row. 

3 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

29 wins got them Curry

26 wins got them notta

36 wins got them klay

Drafted Barnes 7th overall

Green in the 2nd round

They were barely a 30 win team for 4 years in a row. 

Charlotte could have picked Klay but chose Biz instead.  Several players were taken ahead of Curry and had minimal impact.  Drafting well is more important than drafting high. 

Edited by Thelt
  • Pie 1