Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Kyle Bailey suggests defense going 3-4 is an option

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Red Dead Redemption said:

Ummmmm, Dexter Lawrence is a rookie. Do you see now. 

We can work out a smart contract with clowney. Gets a lot of guaranteed money. Low cap hit this year. Roll it starting 2020. 

Dix wont cost much. Safety market is low now. He gets 5-7M.

I know Dexter will be, but you expect to sign Clowny who will probably be Franchise Tagged this year to a “smart contract”?. Dix will get More if not the same as Reid

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Red Dead Redemption said:

Ummmmm, Dexter Lawrence is a rookie. Do you see now. 

We can work out a smart contract with clowney. Gets a lot of guaranteed money. Low cap hit this year. Roll it starting 2020. 

Dix wont cost much. Safety market is low now. He gets 5-7M.

“Smart Contract” for Clowney.  Delusional.  You should just stick to cowboy video games.

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's much easier to find a 3-4 OLB in the draft these days. KK is a perfect 5 technique. We already have some pieces in place to make this work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saX man said:

If they want to at least be somewhat more forward thinking, they would install a Bears/Chargers type defense which are technically 4-3 but with 3-4 fronts.  This allows them to use guys like Mack and Ingram insanely well.  That's the modern NFL.  It's not 4-3 or 3-4 black & white. The LB/EDGE talent is super interesting and versatile nowadays.    

And fact of the matter is, there's a lot of interesting EDGE talent this draft that fits the hybrid schemes like Sweat, Allen, Polite, Burns, etc.  

My personal sleeper: Ben Banagu

I honestly don't think we need Addison, Butler, or Shaq back no matter the scheme.  Elsewhere, Short is totally a capable 3-4 DE mold, Kuechly is fine inside (could pair with the sensational Devin White to the dismay of the Huddle).  You can maintain a zone heavy secondary actually better with a multi-front look.   

 

 

We were doing that in 2011. At the time it wasnt considered forward thinking but desparation.

The Ravens did this forever ago in the early 2000s. It may be effective but this "forward thinking" term seems not to mean much other than it comes from a 30 something coach.

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

It's much easier to find a 3-4 OLB in the draft these days. KK is a perfect 5 technique. We already have some pieces in place to make this work.

Is this true??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with folks saying that we don't have to go to a strictly 3-4 look. Defenses now need to be flexible and utilize talent in ways that keep offenses guessing. 

Like CatMan72 said, we do have a number of pieces in place already with Poe, Short, Luke, Shaq and perhaps Addison or one of the sophomore youngsters. This draft and FA should be 75% defensive loaded, so it's not like there aren't pass rushers out there that can be had.

Flowers, my personal favorite FA pass rusher that I want in Carolina is currently in a 3-4 base, but hybrid Patriots D. Quite a few undersized pass rush specialists as a 4-3 DE coming out in the draft, but they could look better standing up outside in a 34.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we even have the personal to do a 3-4 scheme? What if we mixed it in now and then along with playing our 4-3 defense we play now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CMAC22 said:

Do we even have the personal to do a 3-4 scheme? What if we mixed it in now and then along with playing our 4-3 defense we play now?

 

There is a whole thread dedicated to your question.  Feel free to read.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, t96 said:

Poe actually fits better at NT in a 3-4, and I think Short could excel at 3-4 end. Other than that though we have nobody who fits at LB or DL edge... maybe Haynes but he's unlikely to actually turn into anything.

This is not the first time you beat me to a comment...Pisses me off!  I agree 100% and was going to mention Haynes--with the same caveat.  Who plays ILB?  I also wonder if Butler is not better a 34 End.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it.. We would probably need to go after Shane Ray and Dee Ford before the draft.. Maybe even a DE and NT..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

We're not going 3-4 

This was my first reaction, however, look at how many people we are losing on Defense for whatever reason--if we were ever going to transition, it would be this year:

Going from memory, we could lose:

Peppers, Davis, Adams, Reid, Munnerlyn, Horton, etc. Not sure about Butler, Love, etc.

It would be a big deal.  I am with you, but understand that it could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saX man said:

If they want to at least be somewhat more forward thinking, they would install a Bears/Chargers type defense which are technically 4-3 but with 3-4 fronts.  This allows them to use guys like Mack and Ingram insanely well.  That's the modern NFL.  It's not 4-3 or 3-4 black & white. The LB/EDGE talent is super interesting and versatile nowadays.    

And fact of the matter is, there's a lot of interesting EDGE talent this draft that fits the hybrid schemes like Sweat, Allen, Polite, Burns, etc.  

My personal sleeper: Ben Banagu

I honestly don't think we need Addison, Butler, or Shaq back no matter the scheme.  Elsewhere, Short is totally a capable 3-4 DE mold, Kuechly is fine inside (could pair with the sensational Devin White to the dismay of the Huddle).  You can maintain a zone heavy secondary actually better with a multi-front look.   

 

 

Yes.  This please.  I would love to see some changing fronts and some versatility going forward.  

I know it’s early but I did do a couple mock drafts tonight and devin white somehow did fall to us.  Then you could put Shag as an OLB. 

But who knows.  I do like the idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×