Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Kyle Bailey suggests defense going 3-4 is an option

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

3-4 Defense thread confirmed.

Off-season in full throttle.

The fact our HC and GM are probably in a make or break season I would find it nuts they were totally switch the style of defense we play.

but

The fact they have already told TD they are not bringing him back makes you wonder.  With Luke and Shaq as the MLBs, TD doesn't really fit as an OLB. 

Will be interesting to see what they do with Peppers.  If we kept our base 4-3 another year with him wouldn't be terrible.  Its not there are a lot to choose from.  Even if you draft or sing a FA you could still use him.  At this point in his career I'm not sure if he fits a 3-4 as much.

Same with Poe.  Makes a lot more sense to keep him if we are thinking about switching to 3-4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Tbh, I've been thinking about it a lot more the last few years...  how aggressive our defense looked in the 3-4 days.  Growing up, I viewed the 4-3 as the ideal defense.  Simple.  Stock.  But, with the evolution of the game, my views on defense have changed...  although the bulk of defense is played out of the sub packages now, when you need to generate pressure and confuse an offense, the 3-4 is the way to go...  you can give multiple looks pre snap and then run something completely different once the ball is snapped.  It just feels more aggressive and intimidating.  And if you look at the recent perennial contenders, the majority run 3-4...  outside of Seattle, I can't think of another recent champion that ran a 4-3. 

And with the turnover required across the defense at this point, and the lack of effectiveness in the 4-3 from the personnel we currently have in the front 7 outside of Luke, I think it's perfectly timed.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF

We are indeed switching to a 3-4 we will have to draft Defense rounds 1-2

1st: Brian Burns- OLB

2nd: Zach Allen-DE would be a good start

Edited by ncfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

3-4 Defense thread confirmed.

Off-season in full throttle.

Maximum warp factor,..

engage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Tbh, I've been thinking about it a lot more the last few years...  how aggressive our defense looked in the 3-4 days.  Growing up, I viewed the 4-3 as the ideal defense.  Simple.  Stock.  But, with the evolution of the game, my views on defense have changed...  although the bulk of defense is played out of the sub packages now, when you need to generate pressure and confuse an offense, the 3-4 is the way to go...  you can give multiple looks pre snap and then run something completely different once the ball is snapped.  It just feels more aggressive and intimidating.  And if you look at the recent perennial contenders, the majority run 3-4...  outside of Seattle, I can't think of another recent champion that ran a 4-3. 

And with the turnover required across the defense at this point, and the lack of effectiveness in the 4-3 from the personnel we currently have in the front 7 outside of Luke, I think it's perfectly timed.

We had two good 3-4 years, 1995 and 1996. The rest of the 3-4 years were bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, musicman said:

Did Rivera when he played with the Bears was it a 3-4 defense?

Nope. Buddy Ryan ran a 4-3. Mike Singletary was the guy in the middle.

His primary defensive mentor when he  started coaching was a 4-3 guy too (Jim Johnson).

He ran a 3-4 in San Diego, but I think that's only because that's what the guy before him was already running (Ted Cottrell, if I remember correctly).

Edited by Mr. Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

I think Addison could do it, he was project as a 3-4 olb in the draft as his best position professionally

I disagree.. We are talking about 31 year old player now who has always played with his hands in the dirt.. And spent most of his career bulking up and gain weight to do that position.. You can't just reverse that much time spent to play a totally different position at his age..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

I disagree.. We are talking about 31 year old player now who has always played with his hands in the dirt.. And spent most of his career bulking up and gain weight to do that position.. You can't just reverse that much time spent to play a totally different position at his age..

I'd say Peppers who did it at 34 at 280 pounds but he's a freak of nature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jfra78 said:

 

Didnt Addison play OLB in college?

No..

Scouts just did the whole body type thing when he was coming out of college.. "He is small for a 43 DE so maybe he can learn to be this overtime" But Addison went the other way and added weight and strength to be a 43 DE. 

TROY UNIVERSITY.. He is playing 43 DE his hands are always in the dirt.. This is 8 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nope. Buddy Ryan ran a 4-3. Mike Singletary was the guy in the middle.

More accurately, Buddy Ryan ran a 46. 4-3 base defense with the strong safety in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

I'd say Peppers who did it at 34 at 280 pounds but he's a freak of nature. 

Exactly.. You answered it right there.. Pep is a different breed of athlete..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sub Zero said:

Exactly.. You answered it right there.. Pep is a different breed of athlete..

Pep is also naturally athletic enough to do the pass coverage job the 3-4 sometimes requires OLBs do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

It's more about Mario's athletic ability and the skill sit that he has. He most certainly can  play OLB in a 3/4.  Why must you be so dismissive?

It certainly is more than just size. 

Every year up until this one, I'm the one of the ones making the argument against switching to a 3/4, because I know that it's so much more than plugging players in. 

What I am saying, if there was a time to.make a transition to the 3/4, the Panthers are better equipped now to make the switch, than they ever have been since the team has been playing the 4-3. 

That statement is true.  

Not saying it would be a seamless transition, but this would be a good time to do it.  It'll arguably be more difficult to stay in a 4-3,  depending how the draft goes. 

Dismissive or Just being real about the situation.. 

Let's just agree to disagree.. I think we are lacking more talent for that defense than in other seasons .. You don't cool.. I only see 2 maybe 3 players who could now.. When other season I thought we had 5 to 6 players who could make the transition.. 

Example 2013 ..

CJ, Hardy, Star, Luke, TD, and Kk all were young enough and better equipped to make that change.. And That's your Dline and 3 LB spots right there.. Now I only see 1 MLB and one NT for a 3/4 on this roster.. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...