Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

ncfan

Around the league FA moves

26 minutes ago, ncfan said:

This safety market runs deep

And we just gave Eric Reid a $22M+ 3 year contract and made him the 10th highest paid safety in the league.

#HurneyMagic

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Some of those guys are pure strong safeties, but yes, point taken. It also looks like we were pretty dumb to give Reid that money. He's not terrible at what he does, but what he does is at the lowest end of the safety value range and safeties of his caliber have been signing for peanuts in recent years.

Shhhhhh....

Reality sucks. Invest in unicorns

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

And we just gave Eric Reid a $22M+ 3 year contract and made him the 10th highest paid safety in the league.

#HurneyMagic

I like Eric Reid and maybe another year in the system can help, but my god that money looks silly at this point. Let's see how much these free agents eventually sign for and then we will have a really good idea at how good/bad Reid's deal was. 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

#HurneyMagic

It looks worse than it actually is though. His cap hit for this year is under 5 mill. The contract only has 9 guaranteed. If he does bad and we want to cut him next offseason it basically becomes a 1 year 9 mill deal with us eating 5 dead money. Hurney didn't break our backs on this one for a change. 

• Beer 2

Cardinals gave Steelers a 6th for Gilbert, welp. He's a good RT plus his contract wasn't bad either, just couldn't stay healthy. 

7 minutes ago, panther252 said:

It looks worse than it actually is though. His cap hit for this year is under 5 mill. The contract only has 9 guaranteed. If he does bad and we want to cut him next offseason it basically becomes a 1 year 9 mill deal with us eating 5 dead money. Hurney didn't break our backs on this one for a change. 

The only way Eric Reid is going anywhere is if Rivera and Hurney are booted out on their asses and we actually bring in a real football staff and management that cares about quality on the field as much or more than they care about it off the field.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

The only way Eric Reid is going anywhere is if Rivera and Hurney are booted out on their asses and we actually bring in a real football staff and management that cares about quality on the field as much or more than they care about it off the field.

Haha you do make a strong and very realistic point. I guess our only hope is  pray Reid balls out or there's a purge in the front office leading to some changes before the entire contract plays out. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Krovvy said:

It's a good trade looking at value, but damn I don't think that defense has a chance next year.

They have the 6th pick in a draft full of edge rushers so I’d say they’ll likely be going edge/DL at 6 and maybe 38 or 39, wherever the pick in the 2nd. Their OL will be good. The Giants save a little ($5.5m each of the next two years).

In this draft if they aren’t enamored with Haskins, I like the trade because you can take Sweat or Allen/Bosa I’d they somehow fall.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Some of those guys are pure strong safeties, but yes, point taken. It also looks like we were pretty dumb to give Reid that money. He's not terrible at what he does, but what he does is at the lowest end of the safety value range and safeties of his caliber have been signing for peanuts in recent years.

Wait, you’re telling me I was right in the Eric Reid thread and the guys proposing paying through the nose for safeties were wrong? How about that, maybe I was right about the trend of lower salaries for safeties was true.

I’m glad we re-signed Reid, but my issue was the cost and it looks like this year will be the same. SMH and as you said people gearing up to sign players to help them win and we are keeping our WR4 just in case.

I’ll give you a guarantee that if we keep Kalil, I’m not going to watch or care much this year. I’ll know that we had a chance to since a top pass rusher or FS and C before the draft and we didn’t and we migh make the playoffs but we aren’t going to protect Cam or play defense well enough to win it all.

Let’s keep Smith over TD. Morons.

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I see we’re still bitchin about Reid and his 10 mil guaranteed contract

We’re bitching about our GM who likes to waste money. We gave him top tier S money when he’s not that good. I wanted him back but there’s a glut of FA safeties and Ron even said he liked the depth of safeties in the draft. All that and we gave Reid more than Mathieu got last year and Mathieu got the top FA safety deal. Mathieu was ranked 21st and Reid was ranked 55th.

46 minutes ago, panther252 said:

It’s not awful, but like Smith (and god forbid Kalil), you keep adding up contracts and you get big numbers. Poe, Smith and Searcy cost $4m more per year than Norwell and $6m more per year than the awful Matt Kalil deal. Death by a thousand cuts.